Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NY Quarantine - it's all changing!! [Test Out option as of Nov 4, 2020]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2020, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the question is whether there is a way for some criminal-minded person to evade the law, the answer is "most certainly, yes." But, that isn't the point.

One may certainly arrive from out-of-state without a negative result and then go into quarantine. If and when a negative result arrives, that person would complete as little as 3 days of quarantine. If the test result arrives on day 5, then 5 days, all the way up to 14.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Sorry if this has been asked and answered but want to make sure I'm clear about the policy as I am reading conflicting information.

We have extended family in NYS and we are planning a family trip to Hawaii. We all already need to test negative T-72 prior to arrival in Hawaii which we are planning on obtaining at SFO. However, on the return they are flying through ORD.

A few questions:

1) Does the NYS order mean that you need to take the test AT LEAST 72 hours prior to arrival in NYS (meaning, you can't take the test in a connecting city and would instead need to take the test in Hawaii prior to departure?) OR can the test be taken within 72 hours in a connecting city? American Airlines apparently is telling folks that they can't board a flight with a final destination in NYS (even if it's a connecting flight) without a negative test result. Alternatively, is it possible/compliant to fly into EWR and take the test at the XpressCheck COVID testing center upon arrival, before entering NYS?

2) Does NYS care about the method of testing?

3) Does anyone know of a testing location in Honolulu that can return a rapid COVID test result? If it's possible to take the test within 72 hours and in a connecting city, does anyone know of a testing location in Chicago that can return a rapid test result?
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by safra1
1) Does the NYS order mean that you need to take the test AT LEAST 72 hours prior to arrival in NYS (meaning, you can't take the test in a connecting city and would instead need to take the test in Hawaii prior to departure?) OR can the test be taken within 72 hours in a connecting city?
1. For travelers who traveled outside of New York for more than 24 hours, such travelers must obtain testing within 72 hours prior to arrival in New York

American Airlines apparently is telling folks that they can't board a flight with a final destination in NYS (even if it's a connecting flight) without a negative test result.
I don't see how that's possible. The negative test is just to test out of the 14-day quarantine, not to enter the state.

full guidelines here:

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/sy...l_advisory.pdf
Old Nov 11, 2020, 2:22 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Posts on airport checks experience moved

Originally Posted by cmd320
I can’t speak for AA, but I arrived on B6 yesterday for an overnight layover. I filled out the NYS health form before desperate (with no test at all) and was given the all clear/no need to quarantine notification. Upon arrival at T5, there were individuals dressed in military uniforms (assuming national guard) at the exit of one of the T5 wings handing out quarantine info sheets. Because I had an email with a green check mark (no quarantine required) I was able to bypass those personnel and not fill out the form.

It seems like if you’re only transferring or overnighting to connect to another flight outside NY, you do not need to quarantine. If anyone has any further questions on this feel free to ask as I just went through it last night.
I've moved the above post and responses to it over to the Experience with Quarantine Checks at flying into NYC airports thread as they are more relevant there.

/Moderator
Old Nov 13, 2020, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I just noticed something. The order linked above states "travelers Must Get Tested Within Three Days Prior to Landing in New York" but everywhere else it states that travelers must get tested 3 days prior to travel. That is a huge difference when traveling from overseas. So which is it? 72h prior to travel (meaning boarding the flight) or 72h prior to landing?
Old Nov 13, 2020, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I just noticed something. The order linked above states "travelers Must Get Tested Within Three Days Prior to Landing in New York" but everywhere else it states that travelers must get tested 3 days prior to travel. That is a huge difference when traveling from overseas. So which is it? 72h prior to travel (meaning boarding the flight) or 72h prior to landing?
From what order are you quoting? The word “landing” appears nowhere in the order.

The executive order is here: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-...iving-new-york

The order states, “For any traveler who has traveled outside of New York for more than 24 hours, such traveler must seek testing prior to departure from that state, within 72 hours of departure.”
Old Nov 14, 2020, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Petdog
From what order are you quoting? The word “landing” appears nowhere in the order.

The executive order is here: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-...iving-new-york

The order states, “For any traveler who has traveled outside of New York for more than 24 hours, such traveler must seek testing prior to departure from that state, within 72 hours of departure.”
Thanks for that link. I was reading this one....

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...ndatory-14-day

Which is the one that is being followed by the staff at JFK?
Old Nov 15, 2020, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Which is the one that is being followed by the staff at JFK?
No idea, but presumably only the Executive Order has the force of law

And while the wording is inelegant, the press release to which you linked also specifies, “Travelers must obtain a test within three days of departure ...”
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:37 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In Experience with Quarantine Checks at flying into NYC airports, I noted that when I arrived on 11/15/20 the agents in JFK T4 (not National Guard) were only checking that you had completed THE FORM not whether you had taken a Covid test.
If airlines are not allowing pax to board flts to NYC/NYS if you didn't take a test (with neg. or result pending) they aren't following the items noted in the EXEC. ORDER, since 14 day quarantine with NO testing is always an option.
I flew on DL, the gate agent gave any pax that asked the web address for the form, she did NOT deal with any other issues related to NYS travel rules.

Last edited by nrr; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:44 am
Old Dec 6, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Has there been any word on the method of testing (rapid vs PCR) they require? If I get a rapid prior to departure to NY and then another rapid in NY 4 days later, is that good enough to test out of the 14 day quarantine?
Old Dec 6, 2020, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by dtphonehome
Has there been any word on the method of testing (rapid vs PCR) they require? If I get a rapid prior to departure to NY and then another rapid in NY 4 days later, is that good enough to test out of the 14 day quarantine?
No guidance that I've seen, and none stated here: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory. I interpret that to mean a rapid test would suffice.

You could try contacting NYS DOH (details in the link above).
Old Dec 8, 2020, 10:05 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Anyone have experience with the new test out procedures? Unfortunately I have to be back in NYC early next year and it’s looking like now is as good of time as ever to make the jump back. Planning on flying through EWR but still going to do everything by the book as a responsible resident of this beautiful city
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
I'm assuming nothing has changed in regard to layovers? I may have an overnight layover in JFK next week and wanted to make sure nothing is required other than go straight to my hotel and return for my flight the next day. I can probably get a rapid test if I need one but no way I could get a PCR test returned in time if that's needed.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
I'm assuming nothing has changed in regard to layovers? I may have an overnight layover in JFK next week and wanted to make sure nothing is required other than go straight to my hotel and return for my flight the next day. I can probably get a rapid test if I need one but no way I could get a PCR test returned in time if that's needed.
When you fill out the health declaration form just note that NYS is not your final destination. That will give you a green check mark and you can then just go to your hotel and stay there until you depart.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
When you fill out the health declaration form just note that NYS is not your final destination. That will give you a green check mark and you can then just go to your hotel and stay there until you depart.
Right on. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.