Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

What's a good value hotel near JFK for a layover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2020, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

It looks like I will be stuck doing an overnight at JFK, so I am looking for a decent inexpensive place to stay (Oct 20), one that I can reserve via Booking.com. I would like to have free shuttle service too.

UPDATE: OK, it looks like there are a lot of lowly rated, dodgy places there (including, on Booking.com, homestays?). I reserved a room at the Comfort Inn for $94 net, a chain that has always been good for me (although usually half the price ).
dstan likes this.

Last edited by swampwiz; Oct 1, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Old Oct 10, 2020, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
The thing about JFK area hotels is that some are in what I would call questionable areas. By this I mean warehouse type locations with little or no services.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by dhammer53
The thing about JFK area hotels is that some are in what I would call questionable areas. By this I mean warehouse type locations with little or no services.
I was going to spend one night in this JFK airport area before going into Manhattan. Thanks for posting. I've changed my mind. I'll just make sure my flight arrives early in the day and just get an Uber straight to Manhattan.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
There is a reason some hotels in the 'questionable areas' of JFK are converted. The previous Sheraton JFK was turned into a shelter for homeless persons
Old Nov 11, 2020, 1:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by onobond
There is a reason some hotels in the 'questionable areas' of JFK are converted.
Lack of demand due to covid-19 which nobody could anticipate a year ago?
Old Nov 11, 2020, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by funkydrummer
Lack of demand due to covid-19 which nobody could anticipate a year ago?
TBH, I was unaware of Covid-19 present in the JFK area already a couple of years before the first case in Wuhan about a year ago from now
Old Nov 11, 2020, 2:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by onobond
TBH, I was unaware of Covid-19 present in the JFK area already a couple of years before the first case in Wuhan about a year ago from now
Maybe a language issue, I'm not a native speaker.

My point was nobody was aware of covid when building all these JFK hotels. Many are closing these days as demand has deteriorated so much. I think it has little to do with hotels being located in "questionable areas" and more with covid-depressed demand.

Case in point would be the TWA hotel. The rates they're currently charging cannot generate a reasonable profit. (BTW, a stay at the TWA hotel is still on my bucket list.)
Old Nov 11, 2020, 2:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have yet to find a JFK area hotel that I would actually want to stay in. They are all pretty much dumps. Same goes for EWR, more or less. About 15 years ago I spent a night in the Holiday Inn JFK (I think). No F&B at all so I ordered a pizza and walked across the road to a gas station to buy some beer. On my way back to the hotel there were shots from the gas station which was in the process of being burgled.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 7:43 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have yet to find a JFK area hotel that I would actually want to stay in. They are all pretty much dumps. Same goes for EWR, more or less. About 15 years ago I spent a night in the Holiday Inn JFK (I think). No F&B at all so I ordered a pizza and walked across the road to a gas station to buy some beer. On my way back to the hotel there were shots from the gas station which was in the process of being burgled.
You chose to buy beer at the right time, a few minutes later you might have been involved in the burglary.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It was quite a shock to me. I was crossing the hotel parking lot when I heard the shots, so I turned around at it was clear they were coming from the gas station. Went up to the room, told my wife, and we watched the cherry parade from our room, eating the pizza.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.