Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

What's a good value hotel near JFK for a layover?

What's a good value hotel near JFK for a layover?

Old Oct 1, 20, 2:50 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 130
What's a good value hotel near JFK for a layover?

It looks like I will be stuck doing an overnight at JFK, so I am looking for a decent inexpensive place to stay (Oct 20), one that I can reserve via Booking.com. I would like to have free shuttle service too.

UPDATE: OK, it looks like there are a lot of lowly rated, dodgy places there (including, on Booking.com, homestays?). I reserved a room at the Comfort Inn for $94 net, a chain that has always been good for me (although usually half the price ).
dstan likes this.

Last edited by swampwiz; Oct 1, 20 at 5:03 pm
swampwiz is offline  
Old Oct 10, 20, 8:46 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Posts: 14,543
The thing about JFK area hotels is that some are in what I would call questionable areas. By this I mean warehouse type locations with little or no services.
dhammer53 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 20, 6:37 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mexico City
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Privilege Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Posts: 1,915
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
The thing about JFK area hotels is that some are in what I would call questionable areas. By this I mean warehouse type locations with little or no services.
I was going to spend one night in this JFK airport area before going into Manhattan. Thanks for posting. I've changed my mind. I'll just make sure my flight arrives early in the day and just get an Uber straight to Manhattan.
Global Adventurer is offline  
Old Nov 11, 20, 1:46 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Posts: 9,981
There is a reason some hotels in the 'questionable areas' of JFK are converted. The previous Sheraton JFK was turned into a shelter for homeless persons
onobond is offline  
Old Nov 11, 20, 1:50 am
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 471
Originally Posted by onobond View Post
There is a reason some hotels in the 'questionable areas' of JFK are converted.
Lack of demand due to covid-19 which nobody could anticipate a year ago?
flyertalker28120 is offline  
Old Nov 11, 20, 1:56 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Posts: 9,981
Originally Posted by funkydrummer View Post
Lack of demand due to covid-19 which nobody could anticipate a year ago?
TBH, I was unaware of Covid-19 present in the JFK area already a couple of years before the first case in Wuhan about a year ago from now
onobond is offline  
Old Nov 11, 20, 2:11 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 471
Originally Posted by onobond View Post
TBH, I was unaware of Covid-19 present in the JFK area already a couple of years before the first case in Wuhan about a year ago from now
Maybe a language issue, I'm not a native speaker.

My point was nobody was aware of covid when building all these JFK hotels. Many are closing these days as demand has deteriorated so much. I think it has little to do with hotels being located in "questionable areas" and more with covid-depressed demand.

Case in point would be the TWA hotel. The rates they're currently charging cannot generate a reasonable profit. (BTW, a stay at the TWA hotel is still on my bucket list.)
flyertalker28120 is offline  
Old Nov 11, 20, 2:32 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 29,555
I have yet to find a JFK area hotel that I would actually want to stay in. They are all pretty much dumps. Same goes for EWR, more or less. About 15 years ago I spent a night in the Holiday Inn JFK (I think). No F&B at all so I ordered a pizza and walked across the road to a gas station to buy some beer. On my way back to the hotel there were shots from the gas station which was in the process of being burgled.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Nov 11, 20, 7:43 am
  #9  
nrr
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: jfk area
Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 9,662
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I have yet to find a JFK area hotel that I would actually want to stay in. They are all pretty much dumps. Same goes for EWR, more or less. About 15 years ago I spent a night in the Holiday Inn JFK (I think). No F&B at all so I ordered a pizza and walked across the road to a gas station to buy some beer. On my way back to the hotel there were shots from the gas station which was in the process of being burgled.
You chose to buy beer at the right time, a few minutes later you might have been involved in the burglary.
nrr is offline  
Old Nov 11, 20, 8:00 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 29,555
It was quite a shock to me. I was crossing the hotel parking lot when I heard the shots, so I turned around at it was clear they were coming from the gas station. Went up to the room, told my wife, and we watched the cherry parade from our room, eating the pizza.
LondonElite is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: