Reload this Page >

Experience with Quarantine Checks at flying into NYC airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Domestic travelers will no longer be required to quarantine after entering New York from another U.S. State or U.S. Territory starting April 1st. While no longer required, the NYS Department of Health still recommends quarantine after domestic travel as an added precaution.
https://abc7ny.com/health/new-york-t...vel-/10406872/
Print Wikipost

Experience with Quarantine Checks at flying into NYC airports

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:57 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes, you don't need to fill out a form, but you would still need a negative COVID test to board the aircraft.
If you don't want to deal with the NY state officers, fly to EWR, BDL, etc... rather than JFK/LGA. It might be cheaper to change your ticket rather than paying for a COVID test.
From info online LGA is giving FREE tests. JFK will "soon" have free tests also.
I don't understand the "negative test to board the aircraft" statement.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
From info online LGA is giving FREE tests. JFK will "soon" have free tests also.
I was mentioning the COVID test requirement before boarding a flight to the New York state.
Airlines are now obliged to check COVID certificates on flights to NYS before boarding passengers.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:06 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I was mentioning the COVID test requirement before boarding a flight to the New York state.
Airlines are now obliged to check COVID certificates on flights to NYS before boarding passengers.
But from other notes in various threads one can still opt for 14 day quarantine in lieu of the 2 covid tests route--so I don't believe airlines can ban flyers.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
But from other notes in various threads one can still opt for 14 day quarantine in lieu of the 2 covid tests route--so I don't believe airlines can ban flyers.
Airlines won't ban passengers, would deny boarding
This is from Cuomo's speech:
Or New York residents, and everyone else, can stay in another state for as long as they want. Before they get on a plane, they must take a test within three days of the flight, and test negative.

Source:https://abc7ny.com/governor-cuomo-tr...sitor/7515634/
Old Nov 8, 2020, 10:51 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(1)https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n...ing-rules.html there is a flow chart showing "all" cases--14 day quarantine is always an option.
(2)https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...ndatory-14-day [from the official NYS page]--again 14 day quarantine in lieu of the 2 tests route is noted.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
According to foreign airlines flying into JFK....
  • Passengers may be fined $50 USD if not wearing a mask or face covering in New York and New Jersey state airports.
  • Passengers who have travelled outside the state of New York for more than 24 hours must hold a negative Covid-19 certificate issued within 72 hours from departure, due to the outbreak of Covid-19. Passenger must quarantine for a minimum of 3 days and seek a second diagnostic test on day 4. If a negative result is received, the passenger is allowed to exit quarantine. If the passenger chooses to not undergo the second diagnostic test, they must quarantine for 14 days.
  • Passengers are required to complete a Travel Declaration Form on arrival in New York State, due to the outbreak of Covid-19.

The form can be completed online here: https://forms.ny.gov/s3/Welcome-to-N...er-Health-Form.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 6:12 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the FT thread the "new" NYS travel rules are discussed
NY Quarantine - it's all changing!! [Test Out option as of Nov 4, 2020]
Two questions: if you've been away for less than 24 hours, you still must complete the form but are exempt from testing--how do they verify when you left, particularly if you've flown with different carriers? How do they factor in crossing the intl. dateline? [In the east direction, you arrive before you left.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by stimpy
According to foreign airlines flying into JFK....
  • Passengers may be fined $50 USD if not wearing a mask or face covering in New York and New Jersey state airports.
  • Passengers who have travelled outside the state of New York for more than 24 hours must hold a negative Covid-19 certificate issued within 72 hours from departure, due to the outbreak of Covid-19. Passenger must quarantine for a minimum of 3 days and seek a second diagnostic test on day 4. If a negative result is received, the passenger is allowed to exit quarantine. If the passenger chooses to not undergo the second diagnostic test, they must quarantine for 14 days.
  • Passengers are required to complete a Travel Declaration Form on arrival in New York State, due to the outbreak of Covid-19.

The form can be completed online here: https://forms.ny.gov/s3/Welcome-to-N...er-Health-Form.
Do you have a source for the above guidelines (e.g. which foreign airline listed those requirements)? In particular I'm questioning the bolded part as I don't believe a negative COVID test result is required within 72 hours prior to arrival. Rather, based on the official NYS guidance, my interpretation is you just need to have taken a test, and it is OK for it to be pending at the moment you arrive in NY. You can then exit quarantine once the results from the pre-travel test, and the test you take on day 4, come back negative. I cited some sources in my post on this in this other thread (including the official DOH guidance, the executive order, and the health screening form)...

I think it is quite a meaningful distinction as rapid-testing and quick turnaround PCR testing is not readily available in many states/countries. If some airlines are requiring a negative test result prior to boarding, that would be unfairly restrictive and seemingly going against official guidance.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by asdf098
Do you have a source for the above guidelines
https://www.traveldoc.aero/

It's not as authoritative as the NY Governors order, but it is what many airlines follow. I have a flight to JFK coming up in a few weeks. I'll find out for myself.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 10:06 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

States can't prevent travel between other states, but once you arrive a given state can restrict your motion within its border.
Foreign travel to the US should be under Federal guidelines.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I can’t speak for AA, but I arrived on B6 yesterday for an overnight layover. I filled out the NYS health form before desperate (with no test at all) and was given the all clear/no need to quarantine notification. Upon arrival at T5, there were individuals dressed in military uniforms (assuming national guard) at the exit of one of the T5 wings handing out quarantine info sheets. Because I had an email with a green check mark (no quarantine required) I was able to bypass those personnel and not fill out the form.

It seems like if you’re only transferring or overnighting to connect to another flight outside NY, you do not need to quarantine. If anyone has any further questions on this feel free to ask as I just went through it last night.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
I filled out the NYS health form before [departure] (with no test at all) and was given the all clear/no need to quarantine notification.
So I assume the form asked how long you planned to be in NYS, and that was the trigger for no quarantine? Or was there something else that may have made the difference? I'm trying to understand how they distinguished your case from someone visiting NYS for an extended period.
Originally Posted by cmd320
Because I had an email with a green check mark (no quarantine required) I was able to bypass those personnel and not fill out the form.
Did you show them the email on paper or on your phone?
Old Nov 11, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
So I assume the form asked how long you planned to be in NYS, and that was the trigger for no quarantine? Or was there something else that may have made the difference? I'm trying to understand how they distinguished your case from someone visiting NYS for an extended period.

For my green checks, it has been my intended length of stay that triggered them.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 11:30 am

Normally I fill out forms in advance but I’m gonna wait on this one. The chance they can’t read my handwriting or don’t actually bother with uploading written forms is worth the inconvenience. Planning on just quarantining since I’m just visiting family for the month but would love to avoid the daily calls, lol.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
There was a question asking if NY was my final destination to which I selected 'no'. I would assume this gave the green check.

I had printed a copy of the result as well just in case, but I showed them the confirmation email on my phone which was sufficient for both individuals who inspected it. I was never asked to produce a printed copy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.