Reload this Page >

Experience with Quarantine Checks at flying into NYC airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Domestic travelers will no longer be required to quarantine after entering New York from another U.S. State or U.S. Territory starting April 1st. While no longer required, the NYS Department of Health still recommends quarantine after domestic travel as an added precaution.
https://abc7ny.com/health/new-york-t...vel-/10406872/
Print Wikipost

Experience with Quarantine Checks at flying into NYC airports

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by erik123
From Europe to JFK - They checked forms and temp of all passengers.
Do you still need to fill in the form if arriving from Europe? It seems like the NY quarantine requirement only applies to the specified US states, not any other countries. I suppose they might still want the info for contact tracing, but no quarantine mandate, right?
Old Aug 29, 2020, 5:14 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just landed at EWR from MSP this morning.

No health checks just an announcement from the flight crew and of course the pre recorded stuff in the terminal.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
I've flown into LGA and JFK in the last month.

LGA had one rep meeting the flight, checking forms/screenshots. JFK had two, and had essentially set up a containment zone around the game so people couldn't leave without being okay'd.

I was in F on both, so I didn't see what happened with Y or if anyone tried to skip the check. That being said, I did see people without screenshots being made to fill out the forms.

Checks were that the form was filled out, not the details of the form or IDs or anything.

Came for essential business, got a phone call from a contact tracer several days after arrival, told them I was essential, and never heard from them again.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by asdf098
Do you still need to fill in the form if arriving from Europe? It seems like the NY quarantine requirement only applies to the specified US states, not any other countries. I suppose they might still want the info for contact tracing, but no quarantine mandate, right?
Answering my own question as I just did this:

Arriving into JFK from LHR, flight attendants passed out a (federal) Covid screening form prior to landing. Asked for contact info, do you have any symptoms, etc. (Q1 asked about recent travel to Hubei China, and the form misspelled "coronavirus" in one of the instructions... ) No one mentioned or asked us to fill in the NY state form, but I did it anyway on my phone.

After deplaning everyone got temperature checked, and the paper forms were collected. No further checks/questions and no follow up.

Also it's interesting that technically, there is no quarantine requirement upon arrival from abroad. CDC removed the federal guidelines on this, and NY state only restricts certain US states. So technically it seems that one could travel to a COVID hotspot like Brazil and not need to isolate upon return, as far as I can tell. But not the case for California or dozens of other states.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Yes I flew into LGA couple of days ago (from colorado, domestic flight). Enforcement basically exists of one poor hapless soul yelling "PLEASE FILL OUT YOUR QUARANTINE TRAVEL FORM AND SHOW IT TO ME" and about 90% of the people walk past him ignoring him. I waved my phone showing the screenshot of the form at him from about 10 feet and he said okay to me in appreciation of acknowledging his thankless job. He obviously couldn't even see if what I was waving from my phone was a filled out form or my loaded reddit site.

So yeah ... no enforcement it is a complete joke.
They couldn't get a hapless soul to even show up yesterday in upstate NY. Here is PBG airport at the time our flight arrived:

Old Sep 30, 2020, 12:52 am

Any new updates on quarantine checkpoints? Coming from a quarantine state, heading into EWR and I'll be in Manhattan for about 12 hours then flying out. I really don't want to get stuck in NY for 14 days. Do they check departures from NY as well?
Old Sep 30, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by jptan
Any new updates on quarantine checkpoints? Coming from a quarantine state, heading into EWR and I'll be in Manhattan for about 12 hours then flying out. I really don't want to get stuck in NY for 14 days. Do they check departures from NY as well?
Flew into EWR last Tuesday from Florida. No one there to meet the flight. Got off and went right to the taxi stand
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 5:11 am

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Also, don't forget if you are visiting NJ or NY for under 24 hours you do not need to quarantine.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 12:30 pm

Just flew on WN, DAL - LGA.

Gate agent handed out forms during boarding at DAL. On landing, soldiers greeted us with more forms or to take them in. Several other checkpoints to fill out and collect forms on the route down to the baggage claim.

No enforcement/checking if you've already completed a form or have/haven't turned one in. It's completely voluntary
Old Oct 21, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Also, don't forget if you are visiting NJ or NY for under 24 hours you do not need to quarantine.
It's all about the virus's credo.

It will not disseminate as long as you don't stay longer than 24 hours in NY or NJ
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by radonc1
It's all about the virus's credo.

It will not disseminate as long as you don't stay longer than 24 hours in NY or NJ
The exception doesn't seem to be included in the official rules unless you're an essential worker, etc.

What the rules do say is that if you have only traveled through a "bad" state for under 24 hours (including brief stops), you're exempt from the quarantine. Planning to spend less than 24 hours in NYS by itself doesn't mean that you don't need to quarantine while in NYS.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:08 am

Just be clear here is the NY page:

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory
"The requirements of the travel advisory do not apply to any individual passing through designated states for a limited duration (i.e., less than 24 hours) through the course of travel. Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or lay-overs for air travel, bus travel, or train travel."
Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Just be clear here is the NY page:

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory
"The requirements of the travel advisory do not apply to any individual passing through designated states for a limited duration (i.e., less than 24 hours) through the course of travel. Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or lay-overs for air travel, bus travel, or train travel."
"Designated states" are states on the bad list, not NYS itself.

NJ might have different rules on this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Why anyone would fill out a form or quarantine is beyond me. Sounds like a bunch of nonsense.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 6:09 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Why anyone would fill out a form or quarantine is beyond me. Sounds like a bunch of nonsense.
Wow.

And we sometimes wonder why we can't control the spread?
dstan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.