Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

New York quarantine rules

Old Jul 20, 20, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6

Travel to New York now requires self quarantine 14 days on arrival. My state Ohio now on the list. Flying to say EWR NYPD taking forms where you are going. So if I want to come for a day or 2 is this possible under the rule. They are not checking people driving in or even the train so not a perfect system. I am In perfect health airlines need our business. I was there a few weeks ago.
Old Jul 20, 20, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
Travel to New York now requires self quarantine 14 days on arrival. My state Ohio now on the list. Flying to say EWR NYPD taking forms where you are going. So if I want to come for a day or 2 is this possible under the rule. They are not checking people driving in or even the train so not a perfect system. I am In perfect health airlines need our business. I was there a few weeks ago.
I think it is highly doubtful to be enforceable, so the question is whether you feel any sort of obligation to society to follow the rules. That's up for you to decide.
Old Jul 20, 20, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Yeah, I don't see any signs of active enforcement. I suspect the vast majority will qualify for both the Don't-Get-Caught exemption and the No-Harm-No-Foul exemption to the rules, but I also wouldn't be at all surprised if they aggressively enforce against people who happen to get caught for one reason or another (e.g., if it turns out you're C-19 positive and end up infecting a hotel full of people). But I do think it's low risk.
Old Jul 21, 20, 9:31 am

Perhaps if a contact trace was ever done back to a violator of a 14 day arrival quarantine there may have some action taken. Not that you hear much about contact tracing in NY or anywhere else for the matter.
Old Jul 21, 20, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the question is whether it is a violation of law, the answer is yes. Glad that you feel in good health and not glad that air carriers are in tough shape, but neither is a defense to the law.

If the question is whether you will get caught breaking the law, it seems unlikely, but then again, the people who do get bagged probably don't brag about it/
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 22, 20, 5:15 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
New York has no jurisdiction at EWR in New Jersey.

Rules and regulations are for the State of New York. If you want to go there you should plan to observe their rules and regulations. There are good reasons they have done a good job so far recovering from the COVID mess there
dhammer53 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 25, 20, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Does anyone know the actual wording of the restriction?

From everything I can find, the wording states 'arriving from X state' so in theory if one were to fly from California to Boston and then take the Acela to NY, one would be arriving from MA.
Old Jul 25, 20, 6:06 pm

Here is the language from the EO issued by Gov. Cuomo (as well as by the govs. of NJ & CT). I sure would not want to argue as my defense before a judge in any of the three states that flying LAX-BOS-JFK isn't flying from California.

All travelers entering New York from a state with a positive test rate higher than 10 per 100,000 residents, or higher than a 10% test positivity rate, over a seven day rolling average, will be required to quarantine for a period of 14 days consistent with Department of Health regulations for quarantine.
Old Jul 25, 20, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Here is the language from the EO issued by Gov. Cuomo (as well as by the govs. of NJ & CT). I sure would not want to argue as my defense before a judge in any of the three states that flying LAX-BOS-JFK isn't flying from California.

All travelers entering New York from a state with a positive test rate higher than 10 per 100,000 residents, or higher than a 10% test positivity rate, over a seven day rolling average, will be required to quarantine for a period of 14 days consistent with Department of Health regulations for quarantine.
Seems pretty clear then that itís specific to air travel as anyone arriving via ground transportation would be arriving from a neighboring state.
Old Jul 26, 20, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Seems pretty clear then that itís specific to air travel as anyone arriving via ground transportation would be arriving from a neighboring state.
Except that NY's most significant neighbors are NJ and CT and both are in the same "bubble" with NY. Don't forget that the order only applies to those arriving from so-called "hot spot" states, e.g. positivity of 10%+.
Old Jul 31, 20, 11:27 pm

The actual rule is:

If you have traveled from within one of the designated states with significant community spread, you must quarantine when you enter New York for 14 days from the last travel within such designated state, provided on the date you enter into New York State that such state met the criteria for requiring such quarantine.

Source: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory

It's not about the last state you were in right before you set foot in NY. It's about whether, on the date you enter NY, you were in a designated state for more than 24 hours at some point in the last 14 days.
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 20, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
At the end of the day, the letter of the self-quarantine rules are very clear. Whether or not one gets fined or not means you have already made a decision to not follow the rules and are just trying to justify to yourself why breaking the rules is okay.

Today is the last day of my 14-day quarantine coming back from California. Yes, it sucked, but I am glad that I did my small part in preventing the spread.
Often1 and Jon Maiman like this.
Old Aug 1, 20, 7:10 am

This. The discussion of how best to break the law belongs somewhere else.

The question here is "what is the law?" That answer seems relatively clear.
Old Aug 4, 20, 7:08 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Seems pretty clear then that it’s specific to air travel as anyone arriving via ground transportation would be arriving from a neighboring state.
The informational signs on NJ's highways say "arriving in NJ call 511 for quarantine information"
Hat tip to Brighton Line
Old Aug 4, 20, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by AMflier View Post
The informational signs on NJ's highways say "arriving in NJ call 511 for quarantine information"
Hat tip to Brighton Line
And if you donít do that?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: