Reload this Page >

Policies for arriving in NYC area from a quarantine state

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Domestic travelers will no longer be required to quarantine after entering New York from another U.S. State or U.S. Territory starting April 1st. While no longer required, the NYS Department of Health still recommends quarantine after domestic travel as an added precaution.
https://abc7ny.com/health/new-york-t...vel-/10406872/
Print Wikipost

Policies for arriving in NYC area from a quarantine state

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2020, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Next month, I would be flying DCA-LGA-XXX onboard AA.
DCA is located in Virginia and is on the NY quarantine list.
My layover in LGA is shorter than an hour, would I be obliged to fill out the NY state quarantine form?
If there is an officer at the gate after arriving at LGA, I would have my onward boarding pass to another state to show him.
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory

"The requirements of the travel advisory do not apply to any individual passing through designated states for a limited duration (i.e., less than 24 hours) through the course of travel.Examples of such brief passage include but are not limited to: stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or lay-overs for air travel, bus travel, or train travel."
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
My layover in LGA is shorter than an hour, would I be obliged to fill out the NY state quarantine form?
If there is an officer at the gate after arriving at LGA, I would have my onward boarding pass to another state to show him.

Edit: Corrected some statements above
If you are simply connecting through LGA and thus staying in NY State for less than 24 hours, the quarantine does not apply. It's not entirely clear from the NYS DOH website whether those exempt from quarantine still must fill out the form, or whether they can just verbally declare to any official they encounter that they are exempt. I live in CT, and in that state, EVERYONE must fill out the form when arriving, and those who are exempt (for various reasons) or in transit just check the appropriate box on the form.

If you planned to remain in NY State (or the tristate area) for more than 24 hours, you *might* have to quarantine, depending on where your travel originated. If, during the previous 14 days, you had spent more than 24 consecutive hours in Virginia or any other "red" state or CDC level 3 country, then the quarantine would apply. However, if you entered VA only for the purpose of going to DCA airport, and otherwise had been inside the District of Columbia (and/or other "green" states/locations) for the preceding 14 days, then the quarantine would not apply. There is a specific exemption for transiting through "red" states for the purpose of travel, connecting, etc, as long as you are in the "red" state(s) for less than 24 consecutive hours.

Last edited by ESpen36; Sep 26, 2020 at 6:12 pm
Old Sep 26, 2020, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DELee
Post facto revenue generation!

David
This is the stuff that might lead to revolution. Cuomo as the King and COVID the Tea.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Edit: Corrected some statements above
Be warned that if you fill out the NY state quarantine form, you will be bombarded with phone calls, emails, and text messages warning you to quarantine. Whether you actually need to do so or not, it doesn’t matter.

It’s the worst form of robocalling.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Thanks for all the responses up to this point.
As Virginia has been removed from the list, I didn't have any issues at LGA and did not fill out the form.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
This list changes daily > https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory
Old Oct 10, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Yea! California is off the naughty list. I now know where I'm going for Thanksgiving.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yea! California is off the naughty list. I now know where I'm going for Thanksgiving.
Hawaii?

David
Old Oct 10, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by DELee
Hawaii?
Cali isn't all bad.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 1:22 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Be warned that if you fill out the NY state quarantine form, you will be bombarded with phone calls, emails, and text messages warning you to quarantine. Whether you actually need to do so or not, it doesn’t matter.

It’s the worst form of robocalling.
In your words, traveling during a pandemic isn't as asinine as a robocall about self-isolating during said pandemic.

I hear North Dakota calling your name...
Old Oct 25, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I had no clue that most countries are banned from traveling to NY too . I already booked a flight and hotel. Coming from Mexico. Hopefully things change by November, but I doubt it.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////The 31 countries/territories NOT subject to the Governor's executive order and mandatory quarantine requirement are listed below:
  • American Samoa
  • Anguilla
  • Bonaire
  • Brunei
  • Cambodia
  • Cayman Islands
  • Dominica
  • Falkland Islands
  • Fiji
  • Greenland
  • Grenada
  • Guernsey
  • Isle of Man
  • Laos
  • Macau SAR
  • Marshall Islands
  • Mauritius
  • Micronesia
  • Montserrat
  • New Caledonia
  • New Zealand
  • Palau
  • Saba
  • Saint Barthelemy
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Pierre and Miquelon
  • Sint Eustatius
  • Taiwan
  • Thailand
  • Timor-Leste
Old Oct 26, 2020, 7:40 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
When I arrived in JFK on a flight from LAS in T4 (DELTA) on 10/4/20 there were no agents at the arrival gate. At baggage claim there was a table and a single agent for the entire terminal--if you didn't look carefully you could easily have missed seeing the table.
A week ago Gov. Cuomo in a news conference was considering alternatives to Quarantine, now that nearly the entire country is cov. RED.
As the Gov. noted several states surrounding NY should be on the Q. list, but enforcing it for travel between NY and CT would be an enforcement nightmare, nevertheless a cov. infected traveler from CT is just as "dangerous" as one from (say) NV.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 1:21 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
NY-NJ-CT + MA-PA excluded from quarantine rules

NY-NJ-CT have always been considered interconnected within the same 'bubble' under Executive Order 205, but this recent announcement seems to extend that bubble informally to MA and PA.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...y-quarantine-0

Neighboring state Massachusetts now meets the criteria for the travel advisory, in addition to Connecticut, New Jersey and Pennsylvania - however, given the interconnected nature of the region and mode of transport between the states, a quarantine on these states is not practically viable. That said, New York State highly discourages, to the extent practical, non-essential travel between Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania while they meet the travel advisory criteria.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What about MD, DC, and VA, plus Delaware? By the same logic, they're closely connected to PA and NJ.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 8:44 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Yeah, I agree. DE and VA are currently on the quarantine list. Personally, I can understand NY-NJ-CT as there are so many commuters, and maybe PA. But I was surprised by MA. Maybe that is my NYC-centric view.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What about MD, DC, and VA, plus Delaware? By the same logic, they're closely connected to PA and NJ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.