Reload this Page >

Policies for arriving in NYC area from a quarantine state

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Domestic travelers will no longer be required to quarantine after entering New York from another U.S. State or U.S. Territory starting April 1st. While no longer required, the NYS Department of Health still recommends quarantine after domestic travel as an added precaution.
https://abc7ny.com/health/new-york-t...vel-/10406872/
Print Wikipost

Policies for arriving in NYC area from a quarantine state

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2020, 5:03 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
NYC Checkpoints Starting August 6

New York City is setting up checkpoints to trace travelers from states or locations on the Tri-State travel advisory list with fines up $10,000 fines for quarantine violations.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:15 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
But if DCA (or DC) is just a stopover from a state on the restricted list, you don't get a "get out of quarantine free" card for visiting New York.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Post facto revenue generation!

David
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Under what NY statute are they imposing these fines?
LETTERBOY and Scudsone like this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Under what NY statute are they imposing these fines?
I think it's an emergency executive order issued by the governor. Not legislation.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is NY law which comes into effect when the governor declares a state of emergency. The governor cannot himself impose fines, but he can trigger the statute.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:41 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone flown into NY from a restricted state very recently? What's the procedure? They just check if you filled out the form?
How do they actually enforce if someone is quarantined 14 days after arriving or not?
Old Aug 15, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by Often1
It is NY law which comes into effect when the governor declares a state of emergency. The governor cannot himself impose fines, but he can trigger the statute.
And what statute comes into effect? The mayor is imposing felony level punishment without due process and violating the 4th amendment to the US Constitution.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 9:25 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
And what statute comes into effect? The mayor is imposing felony level punishment without due process and violating the 4th amendment to the US Constitution.
1) It's the governor, not the mayor
2) From the executive order linked from the wikipost of the NYC COVID-19 thread:
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-...iving-new-york
Any violation of a quarantine or isolation order issued to an individual pursuant to the Commissioner of the Department of Health's travel advisory by a local department of health or state department of health may be enforced pursuant to article 21 of the public health law, and non-compliance may additionally be deemed a violation pursuant to section 12 of the public health law subject to a civil penalty of up to $10,000.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 8:25 am

The Mayor just signed an Executive Order 10:20a 8/18 requiring all Hotels and short term rentals to collect the quarantine form BEFORE allowing access to the room for anyone from the listed quarantine states.
I'm sure it will be in the news in a few minutes.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
The Mayor just signed an Executive Order 10:20a 8/18 requiring all Hotels and short term rentals to collect the quarantine form BEFORE allowing access to the room for anyone from the listed quarantine states.
I'm sure it will be in the news in a few minutes.
I've been to Boston a couple of times during COVID and the hotels there also had a form you had to sign at the front desk declaring you were an essential worker or some other such reason for staying at the hotel. But nobody ever checked up on it or asked to see any work ID.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by stimpy
I've been to Boston a couple of times during COVID and the hotels there also had a form you had to sign at the front desk declaring you were an essential worker or some other such reason for staying at the hotel. But nobody ever checked up on it or asked to see any work ID.
I'm assuming a front desk clerk isn't going to know what additional information to collect. I also doubt the state has the resources to follow people around. Still, for now I'd stay out of NYC and BOS. Interestingly when I walked by the AA MIA/JFK flight boarding this AM it seemed filled to the brim. Given that JFK at this time would have few connections I assume most of these people either live in New York or Florida. I'd bet money that near 0% plan on quarantining.
af fp likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL PM
Any updates on this? I'm a physician (essential worker) from a quarantined state that will need to visit a close family member in a few weeks. To simplify the process, I am thinking of taking a morning flight in and leaving that same evening, which would mean <12 hours in NYC, not going to public places, not having to deal with hotels. My understanding is that this would be acceptable with all the current regulations?
Old Sep 2, 2020, 2:25 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by kamadzu4
Any updates on this? I'm a physician (essential worker) from a quarantined state that will need to visit a close family member in a few weeks. To simplify the process, I am thinking of taking a morning flight in and leaving that same evening, which would mean <12 hours in NYC, not going to public places, not having to deal with hotels. My understanding is that this would be acceptable with all the current regulations?
That's correct:

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory
Exemptions for Essential Workers

Exceptions to the travel advisory are permitted for essential workers and are limited based on the duration of time in designated states, as well as the intended duration of time in New York. The Commissioner of Health may additionally grant an exemption to the travel advisory based upon extraordinary circumstances, which do not warrant quarantine, but may be subject to the terms and conditions applied to essential workers or terms and conditions otherwise imposed by the Commissioner in the interest of public health.

Short Term – for essential workers traveling to New York State for a period of less than 12 hours.
  • This includes instances such as an essential worker passing through New York, delivering goods, awaiting flight layovers, and other short duration activities.
  • Essential workers should stay in their vehicle and/or limit personal exposure by avoiding public spaces as much as possible.
  • Essential workers should monitor temperature and signs of symptoms, wear a face covering when in public, maintain social distance, and clean and disinfect workspaces.
  • Essential workers are required, to the extent possible, to avoid extended periods in public, contact with strangers, and large congregate settings.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Next month, I would be flying DCA-LGA-XXX onboard AA.
DCA is located in Virginia and is on the NY quarantine list.
My layover in LGA is shorter than an hour, would I be obliged to fill out the NY state quarantine form?
If there is an officer at the gate after arriving at LGA, I would have my onward boarding pass to another state to show him.

Edit: Corrected some statements above

Last edited by ISTFlyer; Sep 19, 2020 at 7:07 pm Reason: Stated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.