FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   Policies for arriving in NYC area from a quarantine state (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/2020355-policies-arriving-nyc-area-quarantine-state.html)

txp Jun 24, 2020 3:26 pm

Policies for arriving in NYC area from a quarantine state

Hi everyone,

Can you please help me find a copy of the *official* quarantine rules for people who travel from Texas to NY/NJ? I could not find a copy of the executive order anywhere, including on the website of Gov. Cuomo. All I have is the governor's verbal announcement during today's press conference.

Also, as the quarantine takes effect at midnight, I would appreciate if travelers from Texas and Florida could share their experiences with arriving in the Tri-State area.

Thank you!

dhammer53 Jun 24, 2020 3:34 pm

This will vary day be day, depending on how the stats change in each state. A state not listed today, can be listed tomorrow. I'm guessing the governors of NY, NJ, and CT were proactive in trying to keep people away.

More here. Governors announce mandatory 14-day quarantine for travelers to

dh

txp Jun 24, 2020 3:39 pm

Thank you. I would like to read the specifics, such as the executive order, if there is one. How exactly is quarantine defined? For example, I live in Texas. I am traveling to Philadelphia, PA for a week. While there, I am going to Manhattan for a business meeting, day trip. I will not be present more than six hours in the Tri-state area before returning to PHL. Would that be allowed by Gov Cuomo's order?

FlyinHawaiian Jun 24, 2020 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by txp (Post 32482694)
How exactly is quarantine defined?

"[The] travel advisory [says, in effect] that all individuals traveling from states with significant community spread of COVID-19 quarantine for a 14-day period from the time of last contact within the identified state." https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...l-advisory-all

For example, I live in Texas. I am traveling to Philadelphia, PA for a week. While there, I am going to Manhattan for a business meeting, day trip. I will not be present more than six hours in the Tri-state area before returning to PHL. Would that be allowed by Gov Cuomo's order?

Per the above, no as it would be less than 14 days from when you were last in Texas.

More information found here https://abc7ny.com/health/how-the-tr...-work/6264478/

[Governor Cuomo] said there will not be a roadblock checking license plates at borders.

"That is not a quarantine, that is a blockade," Cuomo said. "That's what the federal government threatened to do with us at one point."

Each state will do its own enforcement.

"In New York, it's a travel advisory, you are informed you should quarantine for 14 days. If you go to a hotel, hotel clerk asks how come you are not in quarantine? You go to a business meeting, someone says, aren't you supposed to be in quarantine? You get stopped by a police officer who says, you are driving a car from Florida, weren't you supposed to be quarantine for 14 days," Cuomo explained. "Any of those mechanisms you can be detected as violating your quarantine. If you are violating your quarantine, you can be subject to a judicial order and mandatory quarantine. You could have to pay the costs of quarantine. There are also fines that go along with violating the quarantine. $2,000 for the first violation, $5,000 for the second, up to $10,000 if you cause harm."

stimpy Jun 25, 2020 6:56 am

Even if they start stopping people at the airport, there is an easy way around this. Just fly to D.C. and jump on the Amtrak Acela or even a regional train. You can go to Philly, Newark, New York, Providence, Boston, etc. I guarantee they will not have agents at all these train stations checking where you came from.

Brighton Line Jun 25, 2020 8:22 am

On Cuomo brother's show Andrew also said there would be random phone calls to people arriving, I assume by air.
Another almost forceless executive order, I'm going back to listening to the fireworks at 1am that haven't stopped even after the mighty task force in place.

Often1 Jun 25, 2020 8:43 am

OP asked for a copy of the EO. It can be found here: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-...iving-new-york for NY. Similar EO's for CT and NJ can be found on the respective governors' websites. The EO is open-ended in that it delegates to the state health commissioner the designation of quarantine states based on positivity rate.

LondonElite Jun 25, 2020 8:46 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 32483942)
Even if they start stopping people at the airport, there is an easy way around this. Just fly to D.C. and jump on the Amtrak Acela or even a regional train. You can go to Philly, Newark, New York, Providence, Boston, etc. I guarantee they will not have agents at all these train stations checking where you came from.

As it stands, OP's plans would not work. Quarantine is in place for community healthcare purposes, not to annoy people. 'Getting around it' seems quite selfish.

stimpy Jun 25, 2020 8:56 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32484202)
As it stands, OP's plans would not work. Quarantine is in place for community healthcare purposes, not to annoy people. 'Getting around it' seems quite selfish.

We aren't the thought police here. We are here to share travel experiences and it is up to individuals to police themselves as they see fit.

LondonElite Jun 25, 2020 9:06 am

It feels to me like asking of someone should shoplift if they could get away with it. If you are being asked to quarantine if you've come from a high-risk area, then the decent thing to do, for everyone's benefit, is to follow that order.

stimpy Jun 25, 2020 9:13 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32484264)
It feels to me like asking of someone should shoplift if they could get away with it. If you are being asked to quarantine if you've come from a high-risk area, then the decent thing to do, for everyone's benefit, is to follow that order.

Again, it is up to me to control myself. The proper thing to do is to stay at whatever residence you have set up for yourself in New York, remain inside as much as possible, and if you need to go out for food or a meeting, wear a mask. And insist that the people you meet wear a mask if you cannot keep socially distant. If you behave correctly in this manner, then there is no violation of the social contract. In other words, it is not in the least bit like shoplifting.

LondonElite Jun 25, 2020 9:34 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 32484282)
Again, it is up to me to control myself. The proper thing to do is to stay at whatever residence you have set up for yourself in New York, remain inside as much as possible, and if you need to go out for food or a meeting, wear a mask. And insist that the people you meet wear a mask if you cannot keep socially distant. If you behave correctly in this manner, then there is no violation of the social contract. In other words, it is not in the least bit like shoplifting.

I agree with you on that, but that reads very different from what was posted before about finding ways to avoid it.

s0ssos Jun 25, 2020 9:37 am

Wasn't this the same NY governor who said he would sue NJ for imposing a quarantine on New Yorkers?
Why hasn't someone sued him yet?

Stgermainparis Jun 25, 2020 9:45 am

Thank you. I would like to read the specifics, such as the executive order, if there is one. How exactly is quarantine defined? For example, I live in Texas. I am traveling to Philadelphia, PA for a week. While there, I am going to Manhattan for a business meeting, day trip. I will not be present more than six hours in the Tri-state area before returning to PHL. Would that be allowed by Gov Cuomo's order?

I’m wondering why the state would not permit someone to leave the state entirely prior to quarantine being over. Wouldn’t that be even better than keeping the person in the state? Are they allowing quarantined folks to get groceries and/or seek needed medical care? That would certainly be worse than allowing the person to leave.

OP, what are means of transport? That may matter.

txp Jun 25, 2020 9:49 am

Here is the order from the Commissioner of health

Interesting features:
1. The order seems to imply that anyone who enters NY from Texas must stay quarantined for 14 days.
2. The order seems to imply that the Texas traveler is not allowed to leave NY state before the 14-day period is over.
3. This absolute 14-day requirement seems to be unique to NY. All other quarantine rules I have seen in other jurisdictions usually impose "up to 14 days or the duration of stay in that jurisdiction, whichever is shortest." NY does not. The way the order is written now, it requires all Texans to stay there for 14 days.

A few comments about some of the other posts on this subject:

1. I am not looking to circumvent the law or to do this without detection. Quite to the contrary: I want to be 100% compliant with the rules.
2. Staying in PHL and travelling to Manhattan directly to my quarantine location in Manhattan and then traveling out of Manhattan directly to PHL seems (to me at least) to be compliant with the rules provided that I meet the quarantine restrictions while in Manhattan (minimal contact, etc.), and provided that NY clarifies that they do not require people to stay in NY state for 14 days.