Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One and a half hour layover at JFK, International to Domestic

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2020, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

One and a half hour layover at JFK, International to Domestic

Hi! I'm looking at possibly having an hour and a half layover at JFK. I'm arriving from AMS on Delta at 6:22pm, and I'm looking at a flight to PDX on JetBlue that leaves at 7:55pm. I have flown through JFK a handful of times, I take this JetBlue flight home about twice a year, so I am semi-familiar with the terminal, the airline, and JFK. From what I understand, I should be flying into T4, and flying out of T5. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is the last plane to where I live until the next morning. The other option would be to go into midtown for the day, and take the same flight out the next day. There are other flights the next day, but I would want this one largely because of JetBlue miles.

Is it too tight of a layover? I'll likely book that JetBlue flight on miles, not sure if that matters. FWIW, I'm traveling solo, I may or may not check baggage (I probably won't if I go this route), and I'm a quick moving person in general.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It is definitely tight but possible, assuming no delay.
Old May 12, 2020, 5:32 am

When is this trip? I wouldn’t take a chance planning a connection between two airlines that aren’t booked together because the schedules are changing week by week. There’s a good chance either if not both flights will get moved around and your connection could get shorter or one flight may be canceled.

It’s always a tough connection between terminals at JFK, unfortunately you can’t really Walk walk from T4 to T5 (or from anywhere to anywhere at Kennedy). Even though they’re right next to each other you’ll have to take the AirTrain and may end up waiting 10 minutes or so, plus the station for T5 has an endless walk back to the terminal.

If you have global entry and your flight isn’t delayed and if you check a bag you have priority and they actually put your suitcase through first, you’ll have not problem. But that’s a big if.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.