Reload this Page >

M.T.A., Citing Huge Drop in Riders, Seeks $4 Billion Virus Bailout

M.T.A., Citing Huge Drop in Riders, Seeks $4 Billion Virus Bailout

Old Mar 17, 20, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post M.T.A., Citing Huge Drop in Riders, Seeks $4 Billion Virus Bailout

New York City’s public transportation system, the largest in North America, is seeking a $4 billion federal bailout as the coronavirus pandemic has triggered an extraordinary free fall in ridership and left transit officials facing what is likely to be the worst economic crisis in decades.

In a letter on Tuesday to New York’s Congressional delegation, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority — which runs the subway, buses and two commuter rails — said ridership had plunged 60 percent on the subway and 49 percent on buses on Monday compared with the same day last year.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/n...eral-aid-.html
Old Mar 17, 20, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really don't understand why they haven't cut back service to a weekend schedule (or modified version thereof). Are they not able to reduce labor costs given the unions?
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
I really don't understand why they haven't cut back service to a weekend schedule (or modified version thereof). Are they not able to reduce labor costs given the unions?
Because they believe they need to maintain service for people both in the private and public sector who HAVE to get around the city. Maybe they could make some service reductions, but not too much. And in about 6 weeks or so, people will likely (IMHO) be heading back to the office. The MTA needs to be ready to switch back on full service when that day arrives.
Old Mar 18, 20, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Because they believe they need to maintain service for people both in the private and public sector who HAVE to get around the city. Maybe they could make some service reductions, but not too much. And in about 6 weeks or so, people will likely (IMHO) be heading back to the office. The MTA needs to be ready to switch back on full service when that day arrives.
They flex the system down and back up every week. And newsflash, people can get around the city on the weekends! You just don't need 3 minute headways during rush hour when ridership in Manhattan is down 50%+
Old Mar 18, 20, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Metro in DC has gone to 15 minute service on all lines with slight reduction in operating hours. Bus service there has gone to Sunday schedules. BART, on the other hand, with 87% less passengers yesterday, is running full service with no cuts.
Old Mar 18, 20, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I took the B train today into mid town. It seemed to be a regular schedule. Train down to mid-town had maybe 20 pax in my car at peak. Train back north had 30+ pax in my car. I was in the first car so maybe there were more pax towards the middle of the train.
Old Mar 21, 20, 9:05 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
More / same # of trains with less riders = less people per train = automatic social distancing.
Old Mar 23, 20, 10:32 am

NYC Subways were running normal schedule to allow those exempt employees to get to work and/or childcare then work and to allow for social distancing on trains.
Now C train service, the 8th Ave/Fulton Ave local train is suspended due to a worker with confirmed COVID-19 infection. A trains will make all local stops.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/23/mta-su...s-coronavirus/
Old Mar 24, 20, 6:06 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
They just announced a 25% reduction in bus and subway service. The B, W and Z Trains have been eliminated. The 4,5,6,&7 trains will be running local on more of their routes.
Old Mar 25, 20, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Metro in DC has gone to 15 minute service on all lines with slight reduction in operating hours. Bus service there has gone to Sunday schedules. BART, on the other hand, with 87% less passengers yesterday, is running full service with no cuts.
BART has since reduced its schedules
Old Mar 26, 20, 5:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Very strange seeing suspended fares on local buses, complete with new signs on the front doors directing people to the mid/rear doors. I rode the M15 yesterday and was one of three passengers for a bit. One woman didn't get the memo apparently or the sign, and the driver was yelling and gesturing through the closed front door to go use the rear doors. Bizarre times...
dstan likes this.
Old Mar 26, 20, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
Very strange seeing suspended fares on local buses, complete with new signs on the front doors directing people to the mid/rear doors. I rode the M15 yesterday and was one of three passengers for a bit. One woman didn't get the memo apparently or the sign, and the driver was yelling and gesturing through the closed front door to go use the rear doors. Bizarre times...
Hmm, interesting, I do see the rear-boarding guideline on the MTA website but no mention of suspended fares. I suppose they don't want to advertise that... Not that it would really matter. But of course if they don't want you near the driver then there's no way to pay your fare on the local buses.

https://new.mta.info/precautions-against-coronavirus
Buses
We have initiated a new rear-door boarding policy to keep riders and operators at a safe distance.
Board local and SBS buses through the back door. Riders who need the ramp can board through the front door and use the priority seats. Express bus customers will still board through the front door.
Old Mar 26, 20, 1:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Hmm, interesting, I do see the rear-boarding guideline on the MTA website but no mention of suspended fares. I suppose they don't want to advertise that... Not that it would really matter. But of course if they don't want you near the driver then there's no way to pay your fare on the local buses.
Yeah, exactly. I only saw it in this and a couple other news articles online: https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...uqy-story.html
Old Mar 27, 20, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
Yeah, exactly. I only saw it in this and a couple other news articles online: https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...uqy-story.html
From experience that is what is happening. Local buses board from rear door and forward on the bus depending on model by the front wheels/folder handicap seats is a yellow chain and you are not supposed to pass the chain.

The subway is basically running a Saturday schedule/headway of no more than 10 minute headway and trains making local stops except the 4. B/W/Z are not running. Throw in a fire on the subway in the Bronx this morning, I digress.

Cash handling for both the subway and commuter railroads is limited to Metrocard and Ticket vending machines. Token Booths, sorry, Customer Service Booths will only accept cash from disabled riders only or if ALL metrocard machines are broken in the station. Commuter railroad ticket windows are closed use the machine or ticket app.

Today started the commuter railroads of the MTA with reduced schedules.

LIRR: MTA Essential Schedule provides all-day service to get first responders and essential personnel where they need to go. Please consult the special timetable for your branch, We've added some trains strategically to maximize capacity during peak hours. During this special schedule, off-peak fares are in effect all day. Lookup train departure times on this web site, or on the LIRR TrainTime app.

MNRR: Metro-North Railroad will commence an amended Saturday schedule on the Hudson, Harlem, and New Haven Lines on Friday, March 27, until further notice. The amended schedule will provide all-day service for healthcare workers, first responders and essential employees who are on the frontlines of this public health crisis, from early in the morning until after midnight. The schedule will have additional trains in the morning and afternoon peak periods, and hourly service during off-peak mid-day and evening periods. During this special schedule, off-peak fares will be in effect.

Stay healthy.
Old Mar 27, 20, 2:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC

https://new.mta.info/precautions-against-coronavirus
Buses
We have initiated a new rear-door boarding policy to keep riders and operators at a safe distance.
Board local and SBS buses through the back door. Riders who need the ramp can board through the front door and use the priority seats. Express bus customers will still board through the front door.
TECHNICALLY, fares are still in effect, but there is no way to pay them other on SBS lines. That's what I read on NY1 a couple days ago when this first went into effect.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: