Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

NYC COVID-19 / Coronavirus Updates

NYC COVID-19 / Coronavirus Updates

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 14, 20, 5:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: dstan
Wiki Link
NYC COVID-19 / Coronavirus Thread Guidelines
This thread is specifically for discussion of COVID-19 / Coronavirus issues pertinent to NYC-area residents and visitors, and is subject to the following guidelines:

1) Keep discussions specific to NYC-area updates, restrictions, transit, travel, and personal considerations relevant to New Yorkers (e.g., apartment living)
2) This is not the place for general discussions of COVID-19, travel bans, or politics.
- For general discussions, see the new forum that was launched Mar 5: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...s-travel-773/
- For political discussions, see the OMNI/PR thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...lobal-gdp.html
3) Any posts that do not meet above guidelines will be summarily removed

For general info, see:
NYC 2019 Novel Coronavirus (includes Information for Medical Providers)
NYC COVID-19 Data (includes link to Github with complete historical testing data)
NYS COVID-19 Tracker (NY Travel Advisory / Current Quarantine States)
NYC Return to School 2020-2021 (public school reopening info)
NYS Forward (restrictions by region)
CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (includes Cases in the U.S. and Information for Travel)
WHO Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Outbreak (includes daily Situation Reports)

For NYC updates from NY1, see:
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...ronavirus-blog

Timeline
3/07/20 - NY State declares Disaster Emergency (link)
3/12/20 - NYC declares State of Emergency (link)
3/16/20 - NYC Public Schools close (link)
3/22/20 - NY State closes all non-essential businesses as of 8pm (link, NY PAUSE) - restaurants may have take-out and delivery only
6/08/20 - NYC enters Phase 1 Reopening (industries) - restaurants may have take-out and delivery only
6/22/20 - NYC enters Phase 2 Reopening (industries) - restaurants may have outdoor dining only
6/25/20 - NY State establishes quarantine restrictions for travelers arriving in New York (executive order; current list)
7/06/20 - NYC enters Phase 3 Reopening (industries) - restaurants may have outdoor dining only
7/20/20 - NYC enters Phase 4 Reopening (industries) - restaurants may have outdoor dining only
8/17/20 - NYC bowling alleys may reopen (link)
8/24/20 - NYC museums & cultural centers may reopen (link)
9/02/20 - NYC gyms & fitness centers may reopen (link)
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 6, 20, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by mikedpa View Post
Hi Everyone. I am picking up a family member at JFK (Terminal 1) from an international flight on Saturday. Does anyone know if I am allowed to enter the Arrivals area to meet her after she clears customs? Thanks!
Yes unless things have changed recently. There is a small area where you can meet arrivals. I'm not sure if there are any coffee shops or anything open though.
Old Aug 17, 20, 7:04 am

Monday 8/17
Bowling Alleys open today at 50% with one lane empty between parties.
Museums, aquariums and other low-risk indoor cultural venues will be allowed to open in New York City on Aug. 24 with various COVID-19 restrictions, including operating at 25% occupancy capacity.
Today they are also supposed to announce guidance on and when gyms can be open.
dstan likes this.
Old Aug 17, 20, 9:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Here's the NY1 article on the above:

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...ms-reopen-plan

FYI, I also added a Timeline of major NYS/NYC events to the wikipost.
Old Aug 20, 20, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Expansion of Test & Trace tracking to hotels:

NY1: NYC Hotels Must Get Test & Trace Info From Guests, Mayor Says
Old Aug 25, 20, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
FWIW I've stayed at several Manhattan hotels over the last few days with family visiting, and not once was I asked where I came from or had to fill out any COVID forms.

Side note: Walking out of the Marriott Marquis today I noticed several big semi trucks and crews emptying out the Booth theatre of its technical gear. Lights, speakers, etc. I wonder if that is a bad sign for just the Booth or all of Broadway?
Old Aug 25, 20, 5:27 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
FWIW I've stayed at several Manhattan hotels over the last few days with family visiting, and not once was I asked where I came from or had to fill out any COVID forms.

Side note: Walking out of the Marriott Marquis today I noticed several big semi trucks and crews emptying out the Booth theatre of its technical gear. Lights, speakers, etc. I wonder if that is a bad sign for just the Booth or all of Broadway?
Both.

David
Old Aug 28, 20, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I don't think I'd read *too* much into that. Every production will make its own decision. The Booth was presenting Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? with Laurie Metcalf. The show was in previews I think for about a week before the shutdown; opening was supposed to be early April. But it was pretty quickly announced that the show would not open. The timing of the load-out is probably related to being able to get (union) workers in to do it now that the pandemic is more or less under control here.
Other shows have also announced they won't be re-opening (e.g., Frozen), and others are still planning to come back, although of course timing is still up in the air.
Old Sep 14, 20, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Post Mon 9/14 - NYC & NYS Updates

COVID-19 Statistics
NYC as of Fri 9/14 1pm: 233,216 confirmed cases (+23,903 since 6/21), 19,120 confirmed deaths (+1,524 since 6/21), 4,623 probable deaths (–59 since 6/21); 57,417 hospitalized (+3,072 since 6/14; 24.6% of confirmed cases)
NYS as of Fri 9/12 12am: 444,365 confirmed cases (+725; +56,429 since 6/21), 25,390 confirmed deaths (+665 since 6/21); 9,318,293 tested (+72,668; +5,922,974 since 6/21)

NYC Updates
Restaurants
• 9/9 - Cuomo announces NYC restaurants can resume indoor dining at 25% capacity beginning Sep 30
– Required: masks while not seated, socially distanced tables, high-density air filtration system, temperature checks, contact info for Test + Trace
– No bar service or seating, restaurants must close by midnight

Schools
• 9/1 - de Blasio delays reopening of NYC public schools from Sep 10 to Sep 21 (with remote learning beginning Sep 16)
– All schools operating under Blended (hybrid) model with students divided into 2-3 cohorts attending in-person part of the week and remotely the rest of the week
– Any student may also elect all-Remote learning at any time, but changes from all-Remote to Blended are only permitted on certain dates
NYC positivity rate must remain <3% on 7-day rolling average for NYC schools to reopen and remain open, systemwide
– See NYC DoE Return to School 2020-2021 for full details

Gyms
• 8/24 - NYS gyms may reopen at 33% capacity; subject to local government approval; masks, health screening, social distancing, air filtration systems required (Cuomo announcement)
• 9/2 - NYC gyms may reopen

Museums & Cultural Centers
• 8/24 - NYC museums and aquarium may reopen at 25% maximum occupancy (Cuomo announcement)

Bowling Alleys
• 8/17 - NYS bowling alleys may reopen at 50% maximum occupancy (Cuomo announcement)

Last edited by dstan; Sep 14, 20 at 9:21 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: