Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

NYC COVID-19 / Coronavirus Updates

NYC COVID-19 / Coronavirus Updates

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 15, 20, 2:53 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: dstan
Wiki Link
NYC COVID-19 / Coronavirus Thread Guidelines
This thread is specifically for discussion of COVID-19 / Coronavirus issues pertinent to NYC-area residents and visitors, and is subject to the following guidelines:

1) Keep discussions specific to NYC-area updates, restrictions, transit, travel, and personal considerations relevant to New Yorkers (e.g., apartment living)
2) This is not the place for general discussions of COVID-19, travel bans, or politics.
- For general discussions, see the new forum that was launched Mar 5: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...s-travel-773/
- For political discussions, see the OMNI/PR thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...lobal-gdp.html
3) Any posts that do not meet above guidelines will be summarily removed

Key Updates
3/15/20 - NYC Public Schools will close effective Monday, Mar 16 thru at least April 30 (possibly for the rest of the school year).
3/15/20 - NYC Restaurants and Bars are limited to takeout & delivery ONLY, effective Tuesday, Mar 17 at 9:00am.

For general info, see:
NYC 2019 Novel Coronavirus (includes current NYC confirmed case count) and Information for Medical Providers
CDC Coronavirus
Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and Information for Travel
WHO Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Outbreak

For NYC updates from NY1, see:
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...ronavirus-blog

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 30, 20, 9:31 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
We got to see the East River/Midtown portion of the July 4th fireworks last night from our balcony and could faintly spot the portion in Coney Island. Still a bizarre concept, but I'm glad we got to actually see something live.

And not new news, but Broadway will now be reopening no earlier than January 3. At this point all my tickets have been refunded except for Music Man, where they got moved out several months (now scheduled to open April 2021). Let's see how this goes...

Last edited by Calcifer; Jun 30, 20 at 9:39 am
Old Jun 30, 20, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Visitors to NY from California will have to go into 14-day quarantine, per Cuomo decret of today.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 20, 1:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Post New York State incoming traveler quarantine requirements

Incoming travelers to New York State from these states are now required to self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival:
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Iowa
  • Idaho
  • Louisiana
  • Mississippi
  • North Carolina
  • Nevada
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
This requirement does not apply to thru traffic (<24 h) via these states. Separate rules apply to essential workers arriving in state for >36 hours.

Eight states were listed in the initial order of 6/25/20. Eight more states were added on 6/30/20, based on 7-day rolling averages of >10 positive tests per 100,000 residents OR >10% positive test rate. For comparison, the NYS positive test rate is currently 1.0% (524 positive out of 52,025 tests). The positivity rate in NYC is also 1.0%.

In other news, Cuomo announced today that Phase 3 Indoor Dining will be postponed in NYC, originally expected on July 6.

On a side note, I encourage everyone to review whether the air conditioning systems in their homes and businesses use fresh air or recirculated air. Recirculation is typical as it uses less energy (because the air is already cool), but may increase the risk of indoor transmission: https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...ed-experts-say
ysolde likes this.
Old Jul 1, 20, 2:18 pm
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
(1)What about RESIDENTS who return from say LAS VEGAS?.
(2)One of the major reasons of not allowing INDOOR dining is the close proximity of diners. Why aren't they enforcing face masks and distancing for street protesters.
Old Jul 1, 20, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
Why aren't they enforcing face masks and distancing for street protesters.
Two reasons. One is that experts say it is nearly impossible to get infected outdoors. It takes a lot of viral load to infect a human. You cannot get it by walking by an infected person or even standing next to one for a short time. The other reason is politics.
Old Jul 1, 20, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post
Monday at one of three entrances someone was handing out masks, gloves and the NY State made hand sanitizer. Got off the upper east side an hour later, nothing was being handed or available. One large hand sanitizer jug on the wall no signs pointing to it or near it I saw at one station.
I've been taking the subway to work this whole time (funny to see people talk about "braving" the subway, but that's a different topic...)

While it was great that they put out the hand sanitizer jugs, it appears there might not have been a plan put in place to have someone refill them.
Old Jul 2, 20, 6:23 am

(2)One of the major reasons of not allowing INDOOR dining is the close proximity of diners. Why aren't they enforcing face masks and distancing for street protesters.
1) If you go to Vegas or any of those states EVEN IF YOU ARE A NY RESIDENT then you have to quarantine for 14 days upon return.
2) Everyone at the protests (in NYC at least) was wearing a mask. The resurgence of the virus is not from the peaceful protests against the murderous and racist police, it's from clown who refuse to wear a mask at walmart or while getting a haircut.

Don't be a troll.
Old Jul 2, 20, 6:36 am
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Scudsone View Post
1) If you go to Vegas or any of those states EVEN IF YOU ARE A NY RESIDENT then you have to quarantine for 14 days upon return.
2) Everyone at the protests (in NYC at least) was wearing a mask. The resurgence of the virus is not from the peaceful protests against the murderous and racist police, it's from clown who refuse to wear a mask at walmart or while getting a haircut.

Don't be a troll.
There are NO Walmarts in NYC, Haircuts came in PHASE 2, as of 6/22.
If they are going to enforce 6 feet apart, that rule should apply to protesters as well.
Old Jul 2, 20, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they are going to enforce 6 feet apart, that rule should apply to protesters as well.
To be clear, you do not need to stay 6ft apart if you are properly wearing your masks. And if you are more than 6ft apart, you don't need a mask. The mask is to allow us to sit and work close to each other.
Old Jul 2, 20, 10:19 am

How would you enforce masks outside? It's not practical.
Old Jul 2, 20, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
To be clear, you do not need to stay 6ft apart if you are properly wearing your masks. And if you are more than 6ft apart, you don't need a mask. The mask is to allow us to sit and work close to each other.
I don't think it's that simple or definitive. I've seen recommendations for 3ft and 6ft as well as reports that cough/sneeze droplets travelling well over 6 ft. The idea is simple, wearing a mask helps reduce risk as does distancing oneself from people. Combining the two help reduce that risk further.
dstan, ysolde and DoB840 like this.
Old Jul 3, 20, 2:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by greendx View Post
I don't think it's that simple or definitive. I've seen recommendations for 3ft and 6ft as well as reports that cough/sneeze droplets travelling well over 6 ft. The idea is simple, wearing a mask helps reduce risk as does distancing oneself from people. Combining the two help reduce that risk further.
This is correct. There is no invisible wall that respiratory droplets bump into at 6 feet making them immediately fall to the ground. There is no timer that prevents one from being infected within 15 minutes of close contact but allows it at 15:01. There is no force field that makes it impossible to be infected outside but allows it inside. Everything is a gradient of risk.
Old Jul 3, 20, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dstan View Post
This is correct. There is no invisible wall that respiratory droplets bump into at 6 feet making them immediately fall to the ground. There is no timer that prevents one from being infected within 15 minutes of close contact but allows it at 15:01. There is no force field that makes it impossible to be infected outside but allows it inside. Everything is a gradient of risk.
It is the experts that say it is nearly impossible to get infected outdoors and it is the public health leaders in various nations who say there are less than 1% of all COVID cases that come from outdoor contamination. Not to mention all those riots and protests that happened in New York and we did not see a big spike in cases. From the photos and videos I saw, little or none of the rioters and hyper aggressive protesters were wearing masks.

Plus Cuomo's executive order for masks stated that we must wear masks when social distancing is not possible. That wording is there for a reason.

But I am not trying to tell people they don't have to wear masks at all times. Feel free. I only wear a mask when I am around other people. If I am sitting in the park with no one around, I won't be wearing a mask. I am certainly not the only one in New York using this logic.
Old Jul 5, 20, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by nerd View Post

While it was great that they put out the hand sanitizer jugs, it appears there might not have been a plan put in place to have someone refill them.
I saw on the news that the MTA made big yellow boxes (looks like the old corner FDNY boxes that were attached to telephone poles back in the day) that contain the sanitizer.

dh
Old Jul 5, 20, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
But I am not trying to tell people they don't have to wear masks at all times. Feel free. I only wear a mask when I am around other people. If I am sitting in the park with no one around, I won't be wearing a mask. I am certainly not the only one in New York using this logic.
Right. I don't wear my mask in the car, backyard or while I am not around other people either, but that's not what you said in your original post.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: