Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Lounge options for overnight layover in JFK (JL NRT-JFK-SFO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone - I just booked my first first class award with JA and had a question about my layover. I'll be flying NRT-JFK-SFO, arriving at JFK in the evening and departing the next morning (with Alaska first class). Does anyone have tips on where I can rest / what else I should do during my layover? I know JA first class passengers have access to the LH Senator Lounge, but is that available for incoming flights as well? Any tips would be much appreciated!
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:52 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
JAL does not provide arrival lounge service at JFK and therefore you won’t have access to lounge at T1
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Get a room at the TWA hotel.
oopsz likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
How long is the layover and what times do your flights arrive and depart?

According to their website the AS lounge in T7 is open 05.00 - 21.00 (and 17.00 on Saturday) so that’s not an option either.

The TWA Hotel may be an option (there is an extensive thread about it if you have a scan for it) plus there are other hotels close to JFK (again other threads have more info) But their usefulness will depend on the actual length of your layover.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
TWA Hotel but more money- might try www.dayuse.com for other day rate hotels.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you can fly JAL First Class, you can pay for one night in the TWA hotel!

BTW, I think JL is dropping NRT-JFK and moving to double-daily HND-JFK? That flight (checking for June) arrives 6:35pm. The first JFK-SFO on AS is at 7:30am (also 9:30am and 11:30am). So this is a run-of-the-mill overnight layover, with a somewhat (but not ridiculously) early continuing flight. TWA hotel will still be the most convenient. But staying in Manhattan (or Brooklyn) wouldn't be the worst idea, you could at least go out and have dinner that evening, although I don't know how hungry one would be after a JL F flight. I would probably plan to enjoy as much of that flight as possible, and not sleep more than a couple hours, so that I'd be tired enough for a full night sleep after arriving into JFK.
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by ijgordon; Feb 24, 2020 at 8:15 am
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Get a room at the TWA hotel. It's a lovely place to stay and hard to beat the convenience. Especially if you have to get up early to catch your departing flight - the airtrain beats traffic any day.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I'm surprised that no one else has brought this up yet, but hotel aside, is there any chance you can get your ticket changed from Alaska First to American First? AA actually operates true First on this route (3 cabin plane, just like international) with lie flat seats. AS will be a recliner seat for JFK-SFO. Additionally if you can get moved over to AA you'd get access to the Flagship Lounge and Flagship First Dining before your flight.

If you're actually on 2 separate tickets, that's a moot point, but if all one ticket I'd fight tooth and nail to be on AA for that flight. While generally AS may be a better experience, not on the premium trans-con routes in F, it's a night and day comparison there.
RichardInSF likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.