Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Advice needed - where to stay in NYC

Advice needed - where to stay in NYC

Old Feb 13, 20, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
After giving up my apartment in Williamsburg to my daughter, I now have to stay in a hotel when I'm in the city (about a week a month). I've been staying lately at the Box House Hotel, in Greenpoint.

Advantages:
  • Very reasonably priced -- I'm staying this week for about $100/night (before taxes and fees) through Hotwire
  • A very good hotel for the money; not "luxury," but certainly very clean and comfortable
  • Not a chain hotel; much more of a boutique feel
  • Not directly next to the subway, but still an easy walk; plus, the hotel provides free transportation within a one-mile radius, including to the subway
  • Not at all a touristy neighborhood; located in a real (and safe) residential area
  • In Greenpoint, a not-yet-gentrified (as much as the developers are trying) neighborhood that's a mix of residential and industrial; it once was a heavily Polish neighborhood, and there still are many Polish businesses, and you frequently hear Polish spoken on the streets
  • Close to many great neighborhood restaurants and bars in Greenpoint and nearby Long Island City and Williamsburg
  • Although in Brooklyn, it's a quick subway ride into Manhattan
Disadvantages:
  • Not in Manhattan (this is an advantage for me, and for those who want to experience "real" New York, but perhaps a disadvantage for tourists coming to see the sites)
  • Not directly adjacent to the subway (it's close to the subway by objective standards, but not by New Yorker standards -- I complained when my dry cleaner, which used to be in the lobby of my building, moved a block away!)
Old Feb 13, 20, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Yes, it's definitely not legit if it's illegal. It may also be against the FT TOS to encourage it.
Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
I don't understand this sentence.
There are many AirBnB, VRBO, etc., options - they are all illegal - but they are worth looking into as they are reasonable/viable/legit options when it comes to deciding where to stay.

Against the TOS? You've got to be kidding
Old Feb 13, 20, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nerd View Post
There are many AirBnB, VRBO, etc., options - they are all illegal - but they are worth looking into as they are reasonable/viable/legit options when it comes to deciding where to stay.

There are also many completely legal AirBnB options, especially in the outer boroughs. A good friend offers one in Park Slope. She owns a full brownstone, and is able to legally AirBnB what is essentially a separate apartment within her house. Whether legal or illegal, this can be an attractive alternative for visitors.
Old Feb 13, 20, 4:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
le·git
/liˈjit/

informal
adjective
adjective: legit
  1. conforming to the rules; legal.
    "is this car legit?"
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador

What illegal yet supposedly legit options would those be.? If it is illegal then it cannot be legitimate.

FT has a rule about not posting / promoting illegal activity. Rule 15.
Out of my Element likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:15 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos

as already pointed out, illegal <> legit, in fact they are opposite

Maybe it works for you, but the stories of scams are real, and these places do get shut down. Hotels exist for a reason.
Old Feb 14, 20, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
as already pointed out, illegal <> legit, in fact they are opposite

Maybe it works for you, but the stories of scams are real, and these places do get shut down. Hotels exist for a reason.
🙄
God knows that bad things never happen at hotels.
https://viewfromthewing.com/north-ca...-out-of-rooms/

We can debate the merits and social impact of AirBnB, but your scare mongering posts belie the fact that the negative AirBnB experiences are greatly outweighed by the positive. Just like with hotels.
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I'm not using AirBnB. Can we leave this topic now, please?
dstan likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL
I know you said not a hotel-type but should you decide to stay in one, I would suggest the New Yorker Hotel (recently taken over and renovated as a Wyndham Hotel). It's 2 blocks from Penn Station (Long Island Rail Road and NJ Path trains) & most subway lines. When we have friends visit, that's normally where I send them.
roberino likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are scam listings on AirBnB and there are legit ones (not to state state the obvious). Not sure how this got hijacked (dstan et al) into a discussion of what the word legit means
dstan likes this.
Old Feb 15, 20, 7:18 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by roberino View Post
... are there any parts of Manhattan that should be avoided?
I'll respond with my opinions of areas I would avoid for reasons other than personal safety.

I would not want to stay in areas that were not convenient to mass transit, unless one wasn't opposed to some brisk walks (and, possibly, exposed to the winter weather). There's a few parts of Manhattan that aren't well-served by the NYC subways or bus lines; I would put parts of Alphabet City, the eastern parts of the Upper East Side and Yorkville, and the western part of Hell's Kitchen as areas of Manhattan I'd find less convenient for transit. When considering a place to stay, I'd suggest using Google Maps to see what the transit routes are to get to places I was interested in visiting to get an idea of how convenient or not it would be.

The other thing I would try and avoid staying in close proximity to the entrances of the Holland, Lincoln, and Midtown tunnels; the car traffic can get pretty congested with a lot of horn honking all all hours.
pbiflyer and roberino like this.
Old Feb 15, 20, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
I would put parts of Alphabet City, the eastern parts of the Upper East Side and Yorkville, and the western part of Hell's Kitchen as areas of Manhattan I'd find less convenient for transit.
Less convenient is relative, though. I used to live on 80th b/w 1st and York for a short while. The walk to 86th and Lex might have been long by Manhattan standards. I still found it super-short as a person in its twenties. (The 2nd Ave subway didn't exist at the time.)
Old Feb 15, 20, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Comatose.Captain View Post
Less convenient is relative, though.
This is exactly what I posted upthread. New Yorkers have a different conception of convenience. As I posted, when my dry cleaner moved from the lobby of my building to a block away, I thought to myself, "What am I going to do now?"

Search this Thread
Search Engine: