FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   EWR hotels with free train shuttle (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/2008551-ewr-hotels-free-train-shuttle.html)

yonatan Feb 10, 2020 8:13 pm

EWR hotels with free train shuttle

Will be flying into EWR and taking the train the next day from downtown Newark. Was wondering if any hotels offer free shuttle service to both airport and train station? I slightly prefer Marriott properties but am open to staying elsewhere.

Repooc17 Feb 10, 2020 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by yonatan (Post 32057375)
Will be flying into EWR and taking the train the next day from downtown Newark. Was wondering if any hotels offer free shuttle service to both airport and train station? I slightly prefer Marriott properties but am open to staying elsewhere.

Not sure if there are free shuttle all the way from the Newark Penn Station area.

If you don't have a lot of luggage, take the 62 bus - $1.60

There is a Marriott on airport property.

themicah Feb 10, 2020 9:06 pm

There's a Courtyard in downtown Newark that's just a few blocks from Newark Penn Station and the website says they have a free airport shuttle. I'd call to confirm details.

yonatan Feb 11, 2020 8:47 am

Thanks for the info. The tip on the 62 bus is very helpful - it seems that even if there's a free hotel shuttle, since they don't pick up straight from the terminals, the bus may be more convenient. I saw on the bus schedule that they say there's a size limit on luggage - does anyone have experience on whether that's a rule that's only enforced if the bus is crowded?

guv1976 Feb 11, 2020 9:53 am

Originally Posted by yonatan (Post 32058982)
Thanks for the info. The tip on the 62 bus is very helpful - it seems that even if there's a free hotel shuttle, since they don't pick up straight from the terminals, the bus may be more convenient. I saw on the bus schedule that they say there's a size limit on luggage - does anyone have experience on whether that's a rule that's only enforced if the bus is crowded?

To where will you be heading on the train? There's a rail station at EWR Airport (which is not the downtown Newark train station), and there's also a train station in Elizabeth, NJ, which is served by the Southbound Route 62 bus. Depending on which hotel you will be staying at, you might not have to return to the Airport to catch the Route 62 bus. Also, if you're staying at a hotel that offers a local-area shuttle -- and not just an Airport shuttle -- you might be able to get a free ride to Elizabeth station.

How much luggage will you have, and what size(s)?

yonatan Feb 12, 2020 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 32059269)
To where will you be heading on the train? There's a rail station at EWR Airport (which is not the downtown Newark train station), and there's also a train station in Elizabeth, NJ, which is served by the Southbound Route 62 bus. Depending on which hotel you will be staying at, you might not have to return to the Airport to catch the Route 62 bus. Also, if you're staying at a hotel that offers a local-area shuttle -- and not just an Airport shuttle -- you might be able to get a free ride to Elizabeth station.

How much luggage will you have, and what size(s)?

Thanks - I'll be heading to Washington. I will have a full-size rolling suitcase, a duffle bag (which fits nicely on top of the suitcase as I roll it to my transit stop :) ), and a backpack.

I had been trying to find hotels that offered local shuttle service (not just to/from airport) but was actually having a difficult time (any references to a shuttle on hotel websites seemed to just reference an airport shuttle). If you happen to know of any I'm all ears.

guv1976 Feb 12, 2020 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by yonatan (Post 32065583)
Thanks - I'll be heading to Washington. I will have a full-size rolling suitcase, a duffle bag (which fits nicely on top of the suitcase as I roll it to my transit stop :) ), and a backpack.

I had been trying to find hotels that offered local shuttle service (not just to/from airport) but was actually having a difficult time (any references to a shuttle on hotel websites seemed to just reference an airport shuttle). If you happen to know of any I'm all ears.

Some of the Amtrak Northeast Regional Trains -- not the faster Acela trains -- run from EWR Airport Rail Station to Washington, DC; others run to Philadelphia, where connecting service to Washington, DC, is available. You might consider checking schedules and fares from EWR Rail Station to Washington, so that you don't have to get yourself to downtown Newark just to board a train.