Wiki Posts
Search

City break in early March

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

City break in early March

Got 4 nights booked over a weekend in Manhattan in March. What sort of clothes shall I pack? or shall I just keep an eye on the weather?

Any tips on good things to do there in bad weather?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Early March is still winter and it can be cold. Snow is possible but not common. The way things are going this year though, you might need shorts. (Seriously, about 5 years ago it was >70 degrees in early-ish March, I remember as I still hadn't gone on my spring ski trip which is usually early/mid-March.)
I would definitely recommend checking the forecast before you leave, as I do whenever I'm going anywhere.
There's plenty to do in all weather here. Museums and the theatre are good in cold or inclement weather.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Early March is still winter and it can be cold. Snow is possible but not common.
Maybe so, but when NYC does get a snowstorm in March, it can be a doozy:

A Buried City: The Blizzard of 1888

"In March of 1888 New York City was slammed by one of the most devastating blizzards in recorded history. From March 11th to 15th the city was buried underneath fifty inches of snow."
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Bad weather? Unless it's really bad i.e. unsafe to go out or the MTA has shut down - just keep calm and carry on as normal though I might avoid a walk on the High LIne or strolling around Central Park if it it really windy and / or raining heavily

As for packing you can't go wrong with layers.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
As recently as in 2018, NYC received 5+ inches of snow in April. March snow is not that rare. I would prepare to dress warmly for temperatures in the mid 30-40s, and enjoy if it's warmer than that.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Maybe so, but when NYC does get a snowstorm in March, it can be a doozy:

A Buried City: The Blizzard of 1888

"In March of 1888 New York City was slammed by one of the most devastating blizzards in recorded history. From March 11th to 15th the city was buried underneath fifty inches of snow."
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:08 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Could be 30, could be 70.

30 more likely in early March, 70 more likely in late March but 40-60 more likely overall.

Lots of websites have "average weather in ____ for ____" available, you can drill down to specific dates, too.

Best advice is to look at the 10 day forecast 2 days before you leave and pack accordingly.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Average March snowfall is ~4", compared to 9" in Feb, 7" in Jan, and 5" in Dec. There are an average of 1.8 days with snowfall in March (vs. 2.8 in Feb, 4 in Jan, and 2.3 in Dec).
And yes, we can get hit with a big one in March - Typically 1-2 March's per decade with >10" of snow (though 3 in 2011-19!)

I think in March it's more likely the snow melts quickly, which can be good and bad. The biggest issue with snow in Manhattan IMO is the huge puddles that form at crosswalks as the melting ice/slush blocks drainage.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Could be 30, could be 70.

30 more likely in early March, 70 more likely in late March but 40-60 more likely overall.

Lots of websites have "average weather in ____ for ____" available, you can drill down to specific dates, too.

Best advice is to look at the 10 day forecast 2 days before you leave and pack accordingly.
Yeah, I've been to the Big East tourney in March several times. Everything from t shirt to bundled up freezing. As someone suggested, layers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.