Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Hotel with rental car inside or at walking distance between LGA and Danbury CT?

Hotel with rental car inside or at walking distance between LGA and Danbury CT?

Old Jan 30, 20, 10:48 am
  #1  
Formerly known as cedricgerald
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,397
Hotel with rental car inside or at walking distance between LGA and Danbury CT?

I don't want to drive in an unknown area after a long day of work plus a flight in the evening
I was thinking of taking a taxi / uber to Danbury then pick up a car in the morning at the hotel or at a walking distance from the hotel

I have looked on google and Hertz, enterprise, avis in Danbury don't have an hotel at a walking distance

Do you know any hotel with a rental car inside or at a waking distance in Danbury or up to 20 miles radius Danbury (if possible on the way from LGA)

Thank you very much
CGRA is offline  
Old Jan 30, 20, 11:40 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,990
Originally Posted by CGRA View Post
I don't want to drive in an unknown area after a long day of work plus a flight in the evening
I was thinking of taking a taxi / uber to Danbury then pick up a car in the morning at the hotel or at a walking distance from the hotel

I have looked on google and Hertz, enterprise, avis in Danbury don't have an hotel at a walking distance

Do you know any hotel with a rental car inside or at a waking distance in Danbury or up to 20 miles radius Danbury (if possible on the way from LGA)

Thank you very much
Why does it have to be within walking distance? Enterprise provides free pick-up and return service at its non-airport locations, and it appears that the Hertz Danbury office does as well:

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/locat...danbury/DXRC10

(Avis has a Danbury location too, but I did not check to see if they offer free pick-up/drop-off service.)
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 20, 12:01 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,958
You could check out Stamford or maybe even Norwalk, though not sure they're within 20 miles of Danbury.
New Haven does have car rental near hotels, but that's probably too far out of the way for Danbury, in addition to definitely more than 20 miles from Danbury.
ijgordon is offline  
Old Jan 30, 20, 2:40 pm
  #4  
Formerly known as cedricgerald
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,397
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Why does it have to be within walking distance? Enterprise provides free pick-up and return service at its non-airport locations, and it appears that the Hertz Danbury office does as well:

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/locat...danbury/DXRC10

(Avis has a Danbury location too, but I did not check to see if they offer free pick-up/drop-off service.)
thank you very much. Seems they offer delivery one hour after opening which is is a little too late (have a an afternoon meeting in Boston.’area).
CGRA is offline  
Old Jan 30, 20, 2:43 pm
  #5  
Formerly known as cedricgerald
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,397
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
You could check out Stamford or maybe even Norwalk, though not sure they're within 20 miles of Danbury.
New Haven does have car rental near hotels, but that's probably too far out of the way for Danbury, in addition to definitely more than 20 miles from Danbury.
thank you for the info. Do you have any hotel name name in Stamford / Norwalk with rental car inside ?
thank you very much for your help.
CGRA is offline  
Old Jan 30, 20, 2:48 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,990
Originally Posted by CGRA View Post
thank you very much. Seems they offer delivery one hour after opening which is is a little too late (have a an afternoon meeting in Boston.’area).
How about Enterprise, then? A lot of their locations open pretty early.

Is there any reason why you are looking at Danbury, instead of, say, Stamford, for an overnight? Unless you must rent a car while you are in Connecticut, there is frequent Amtrak service between Stamford and three Boston-area stations: Route 128 in the Southern suburbs; Back Bay station; and Boston South Station.

Edited to add: If you want/need to drive from Connecticut, the Avis office at the Stamford train station opens at 6:30 am on weekdays. I don't know where the Stamford hotels are in relation to the Stamford train station, but if they are not walking distance and if they don't offer a free shuttle to the train station, I imagine that a taxi ride to the train station would be pretty quick and inexpensive. Just try a Google search for Stamford, CT hotels.

Edited further to add: It appears that the Stamford Marriott is within walking distance to the train station (about 0.5 miles).

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 30, 20 at 3:00 pm
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 20, 3:05 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,990
Of course, you could also overnight at a hotel near LGA, and fly into BOS (or PVD or MHT, depending on exactly where in the Boston area you are headed) on a flight the next morning.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 3:15 am
  #8  
Formerly known as cedricgerald
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,397
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
How about Enterprise, then? A lot of their locations open pretty early.

Is there any reason why you are looking at Danbury, instead of, say, Stamford, for an overnight? Unless you must rent a car while you are in Connecticut, there is frequent Amtrak service between Stamford and three Boston-area stations: Route 128 in the Southern suburbs; Back Bay station; and Boston South Station.

Edited to add: If you want/need to drive from Connecticut, the Avis office at the Stamford train station opens at 6:30 am on weekdays. I don't know where the Stamford hotels are in relation to the Stamford train station, but if they are not walking distance and if they don't offer a free shuttle to the train station, I imagine that a taxi ride to the train station would be pretty quick and inexpensive. Just try a Google search for Stamford, CT hotels.

Edited further to add: It appears that the Stamford Marriott is within walking distance to the train station (about 0.5 miles).
Thank you very much

I have a meeting in Danbury in the morning then in RI in the afternoon then will spend the night in Boston so I'll need a car and will be easier to sleep in my meeting location.

the 3 Enterprise in Danbury open at 7.30 am
If I understand correctly Enterprise can pick you up but they'll not deliver the car to you (unlike Hertz)

I was once at the Ritz Carlton in White Plains and I like it but this is far from Danbury, maybe a good hour in the morning ?

Seems that I should just pick up the hotel of my choice in Danbury and just Uber to Hertz / Enterprise to pick up the car in the morning ?

Thank you again for all your help
CGRA is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 3:39 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: CT USA
Posts: 2,567
Avis on Mill Plain is kind of close to a couple of the hotels in town.
JumboJet is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:02 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,340
Originally Posted by CGRA View Post
If I understand correctly Enterprise can pick you up but they'll not deliver the car to you (unlike Hertz)
I don't think Hertz delivers the car to you. I've used their pickup service a few times in various places and they always picked me up.

Why not just take an uber or lyft to Enterprise in the morning? It'll cost $5-10 but you can control what time you go and not sit around waiting for the free pickup from the rental car company.
Often1 likes this.
themicah is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:33 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,958
I'm thinking if OP really wants to be in Danbury for a morning meeting, it's probably best to stay in Danbury and hopefully there's reasonable Uber service to get to the car rental in the morning.
I think even from Norwalk or Stamford it's probably a 30-45 minute drive.

Personally, though, I'd just suck it up and rent the car at LGA and drive to Danbury. I once flew JFK-LHR-GLA overnight (in J though) and picked up a rental car in the morning to drive up through the Highlands. And we didn't have time to shower in LHR, which is usually what wakes me up. Talk about an unfamiliar area (e.g., opposite side of the road!). I made sure to get the insurance though.
Another time I flew HKG-CDG-JFK (in J again) and picked up a car to drive 2 hours to the PA area (much more familiar though). That was a bit of a doozy, I had to stop at a rest stop on the Turnpike and load up on caffeine and jump up and down in the cold air. Lol.
ijgordon is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 11:33 am
  #12  
Formerly known as cedricgerald
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,397
Originally Posted by themicah View Post
I don't think Hertz delivers the car to you. I've used their pickup service a few times in various places and they always picked me up.

Why not just take an uber or lyft to Enterprise in the morning? It'll cost $5-10 but you can control what time you go and not sit around waiting for the free pickup from the rental car company.
Thank you very much. Yes that's probably the easiest solution.
Assume there is lyft / uber in this area ?
Is there any relatively nice hotel in this area?
CGRA is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 11:36 am
  #13  
Formerly known as cedricgerald
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,397
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
I'm thinking if OP really wants to be in Danbury for a morning meeting, it's probably best to stay in Danbury and hopefully there's reasonable Uber service to get to the car rental in the morning.
I think even from Norwalk or Stamford it's probably a 30-45 minute drive.

Personally, though, I'd just suck it up and rent the car at LGA and drive to Danbury. I once flew JFK-LHR-GLA overnight (in J though) and picked up a rental car in the morning to drive up through the Highlands. And we didn't have time to shower in LHR, which is usually what wakes me up. Talk about an unfamiliar area (e.g., opposite side of the road!). I made sure to get the insurance though.
Another time I flew HKG-CDG-JFK (in J again) and picked up a car to drive 2 hours to the PA area (much more familiar though). That was a bit of a doozy, I had to stop at a rest stop on the Turnpike and load up on caffeine and jump up and down in the cold air. Lol.
How did you book HKG-CDG-JFK ? lol
I was in PVD airport a winter and it's was very cold, better than caffeine to stay awake
I probably took the shortest uber driver ever : it was basically to cross the street from the Hyatt to car rental but it was icy
CGRA is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 1:26 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,990
Originally Posted by CGRA View Post
Thank you very much. Yes that's probably the easiest solution.
Assume there is lyft / uber in this area ?
Is there any relatively nice hotel in this area?
Given that the Avis office at the Stamford train station opens at 6:30 am on weekdays --and is just half a mile from the Stamford Marriott -- I would think that that would be a reasonable solution -- if you don't mind doing the one-hour drive from Stamford to Danbury in the morning.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jan 31, 20, 4:49 pm
  #15  
Formerly known as cedricgerald
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,397
Originally Posted by JumboJet View Post
Avis on Mill Plain is kind of close to a couple of the hotels in town.
thank you. Hotel zero degree seems very nice. Any feedback on this hotel ?
CGRA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: