Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK 9 hour layover plus pickup and recheck baggage

Old Jan 27, 20, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

We are flying into JFK with Delta and continuing to Cairo on Egyptair

Our Delta flight lands around 9am and we have been told we will need to collect our baggage and recheck it. Then reenter security.

Does anyone know if EgyptAir staffs there ticket/baggage check counters at 10am?

Any ideas of things to do in Terminal 4 for a 9 hour layover.

If we can't recheck our luggage until x (4 hours?) before our flight we will need to perhaps make other arrangements.

Thanks
Old Jan 29, 20, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it's very unlikely Egyptair will have staffed counters that far before the flight. I wouldn't expect check-in to open until 3-4 hours before departure. That said, if you're able to get Delta to at least tag the bag through to CAI (sometimes they can do this if you show the itinerary) at your origin, then you may be able to re-check the bag at the bag drop-off area on the arrivals level of T4. I'm not sure if they'll require you to have done online checkin beforehand, and I'm not sure if this will work if your ticket requires you to pay for checked bags.

As a backup, I'm pretty sure there's a luggage storage facility (paid) in T4 on the arrivals level. Then you can head into Manhattan via the AirTrain for a nice lunch and some touring/shopping.

Last edited by ijgordon; Jan 29, 20 at 11:54 pm
Old Jan 30, 20, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Where are you flying to JFK from?
What are your flight numbers?
Is this one reservation or two separate reservations?
Who told you that you need to claim and recheck your luggage and reclear security?
Old Jan 30, 20, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Responses

We leave on 2/8/2020

Delta Flight 5453 from Cleveland to JFK (7AM - 8:53AM)
EgyptAir flight 986 (630PM - 12:05PM)

It is a single reservation.

Our travel agent told us we would need to collect our bags in JFK and reenter security. Our original flight was AA and would have arrived at 2pm. Then they changed our flight to connect in O'Hare. Then we switched to Delta with a similar time schedule, but it was cancelled. So we are stuck with a 7am flight or a connecting flight that would probably leave early Saturday morning anyway.

According to EgyptAir, their desk opens at 2:30pm.

Delta's website (probably travel agent info) specifically states they will not check any baggage to a non-code share airline, but will will check in Cleveland.

I did find the baggage storage in terminal 4. My travelling partner does not want to go into the city (and I am planning a long weekend trip in the summer anyway). I think we will probably kill time in the TWA hotel until EgyptAir opens their desk.

Any other suggestions?

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
Where are you flying to JFK from?
What are your flight numbers?
Is this one reservation or two separate reservations?
Who told you that you need to claim and recheck your luggage and reclear security?

Last edited by jlz62; Jan 30, 20 at 3:13 pm
Old Jan 30, 20, 5:11 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I have a long layover at JFK in June and I am going to get a day room at the Hilton. I think, with taxes, its $128.

Shuttle there, chill all day, maybe take a swim in the indoor pool, a nice lunch /dinner, a nap, shuttle back, get on plane.
Old Jan 31, 20, 12:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by jlz62 View Post
We leave on 2/8/2020

Delta Flight 5453 from Cleveland to JFK (7AM - 8:53AM)
EgyptAir flight 986 (630PM - 12:05PM)

I did find the baggage storage in terminal 4. My travelling partner does not want to go into the city (and I am planning a long weekend trip in the summer anyway). I think we will probably kill time in the TWA hotel until EgyptAir opens their desk.

Any other suggestions?
That is a loooong time to kill at the TWA hotel! You definitely have time to go into the city for a nice lunch somewhere, then maybe do a little shopping before heading back to JFK.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: