Rockefeller Center underground passageways update

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:34 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Rockefeller Center underground passageways update

New buildings are now in the system, so (staying all underground) one can walk from 48th Street and 5th Ave to as far west as (upper end) of Times Square or 52nd and 7th--great for avoiding "bad" weather. There are a few cul-de-sacs, so one has to be careful.
the phoenix likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
When you say new buildings are being added, do you mean buildings on the west side of 6th Avenue that allows one to travel underground from 6th to 7th Avenues?

(You remind me that I'm due for a trip to Eddie's for a shoe shine!)
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
In the same vein I saw a sign in Bryant Park station noting that they will begin works in February to build a connector pedestrian tunnel linking the station with Times Sq 42nd st. Once that is done, you can go between the two transfer-free and below ground. I bet it will take a year to build, but at least they are starting it.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:14 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
When you say new buildings are being added, do you mean buildings on the west side of 6th Avenue that allows one to travel underground from 6th to 7th Avenues?

(You remind me that I'm due for a trip to Eddie's for a shoe shine!)
Yes. On YouTube at
this video shows some of the path. Technically, I guess, when you cross via the subway passageway under 6th Ave you've exited Rockefeller Center, but you are still underground for the remainder of the walk.
I tested out most of the route in the video, but used a different "fork" to exit closer to 52nd and 7th.
I wear SKETCHERS.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:26 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
In the same vein I saw a sign in Bryant Park station noting that they will begin works in February to build a connector pedestrian tunnel linking the station with Times Sq 42nd st. Once that is done, you can go between the two transfer-free and below ground. I bet it will take a year to build, but at least they are starting it.
There was an underground passageway (which has been closed) under 6th Ave. between 35th street and 42nd street, which linked via Korvettes and Gimbels to get into the MSG Penn Sta. passageways,
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Just found this searching on google...

https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail/...42-st-corridor
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:58 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The route in the video isn’t anything new, right? I use the corridor under Barclays from the uptown N/R/W 49th St. station every morning and today walked out to 5th Ave and 51st (basically, the route in reverse). I suppose the “new” portions are related to the newly-renovated 1271 6th Ave building?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 27, 2020 at 3:19 pm
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:49 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
The route in the video isn’t anything new, right? I use the corridor under Barclays from the uptown N/R/W 49th St. station every morning and today walked out to 5th Ave and 51st (basically, the route in reverse). I suppose the “new” portions are related to the newly-renovated 1271 6th Ave building?
It depends when you begin. The MTA in 1970 published a book "Seeing New York", lots of underground passageways all over NYC are shown (today most of those routes have been greatly modified). For the Rockefeller complex NO buildings abut 7th Ave, from my recollection as recently as 10 years ago this was still the case. NOW (2020) passageways link RC with several buildings which DO abut 7th Ave.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by nrr
It depends when you begin. The MTA in 1970 published a book "Seeing New York", lots of underground passageways all over NYC are shown (today most of those routes have been greatly modified). For the Rockefeller complex NO buildings abut 7th Ave, from my recollection as recently as 10 years ago this was still the case. NOW (2020) passageways link RC with several buildings which DO abut 7th Ave.
Beginning at least 14 years ago (and possibly earlier) I was able to connect from the Rockefeller subway station directly to one of the west-side-of-sixth-avenue buildings and exit onto 7th Avenue.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:58 am

745 Seventh Avenue was completed in 2001. I think the passageway that connects the northbound N/R/W to the 6th Ave concourse (via the basements of 745 Seventh and 1251 Sixth) opened around that time or not long after it. It's not open 24/7, though.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
appreciate this. my new building is part of the passageway and good to know I can get to 7th ave and its subways
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by closetasfan
appreciate this. my new building is part of the passageway and good to know I can get to 7th ave and its subways
You can only get to the uptown N/R/W. You have to go upstairs and cross the street to get to the downtown.

But to make up for it, you can also get to the Canadian consulate, which has an entrance directly from the passageway between 6th and 7th.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:13 pm

The Canadian consulate moved out of the basement of 1251 6th Ave about a year ago (if not longer).
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:39 am

I guess I haven't been down there in a year (if not longer)!
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:58 am

The closest to 52nd and 7th Ave that I could find was the concourse entrance at 52nd and 6 1/2 Ave next to the new Urbanspace 52. I didn’t see an underground entrance into the lobby of the Axa Center at 787 7th. Also, the west entrance to 1251 6th (closest to the N/R/W) in the concourse is closed until “Fall 2020.”

Based only on my personal spelunking, here’s my findings on the general boundaries of the underground passageways:

Farthest North: 52nd St. and 6 1/2 Ave.

Farthest West: N/R/W 49th St. Uptown Station at 7th Ave.

Farthest East: 51st St. and 5th Ave.

Farthest South: B/D/F/M Station at 47th St and 6th Ave.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 8, 2020 at 5:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.