FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   Manhattan travel times to JFK vs EWR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/2004863-manhattan-travel-times-jfk-vs-ewr.html)

saccoNY Jan 17, 2020 11:38 am

Manhattan travel times to JFK vs EWR

I dunno. I’m calling BS. Just did Waze from my location after seeing a yellow taxi top United ad, “time to”. The ad said 49 mins to JFK and EWR 42. Waze says 53 to EWR and 42 to JFK. Hmmmmmm.

in fact in the few months I’ve been seeing these not once have I seen EWR more time than JFK. Is that possible from anywhere in Manhattan?!?!

TerryK Jan 17, 2020 11:43 am

Originally Posted by saccoNY (Post 31962750)
......The ad said 49 mins to JFK and EWR 42.........in fact in the few months I’ve been seeing these not once have I seen EWR more time than JFK. Is that possible from anywhere in Manhattan?!?!

It is possible if you live right next to Penn Station and take NJ Transit; or if you live right next to Lincoln Tunnel entrance. :p Some NJ Transit trains are schedule to arrive at EWR in 22 minutes if you time your departure right. Yeah, I know. This is stretching the truth. ;) I am on east side and I budget 100 minutes to EWR vs 75 minutes to JFK.

HNLbasedFlyer Jan 17, 2020 11:48 am

As I write this - Times Square to EWR 38 minutes. To JFK, 53 minutes.

Google maps

Repooc17 Jan 17, 2020 12:15 pm

My last Lyft from EWR Terminal C to Union Square area came in under 34 minutes (spend 10 minutes or so dealing with Manhattan local traffic).

Traffic notwithstanding, it is highly conceiveable to travel to/from EWR faster than JFK from a lot of areas in Manhattan, in particular west side of Manhattan. Public transportation can be quicker as well.

I often leave much later when I am heading to EWR. Last time I left NYC about 90 minutes to departure.

SFO1974 Jan 17, 2020 12:30 pm

Most definitely possible. I usually stay in Tribeca/SoHo - about 35 minutes to/from EWR (rush hour tunnel traffic excluded)

st3 Jan 17, 2020 12:52 pm

It's ultimately up to exactly where in Manhattan you are and the traffic at that time. I am sure you could cherry pick examples for either.

dilanesp Jan 17, 2020 12:58 pm

Long before UA merged with CO and acquired the EWR hub, I have always used EWR every chance I could get because I always found it easier to get to Manhattan from Newark than from JFK. JFK was easier if you were going to the outer boroughs though.

guv1976 Jan 17, 2020 1:05 pm

For weekday travel, starting from Penn Station, EWR can be slightly faster than JFK if traveling by rail. But on weekends when there is more frequent LIRR service from Penn to Jamaica than there is NJ Transit service from Penn to EWR Airport Rail Station, JFK can be a faster trip.

From the Financial District, PATH from WTC to Newark Penn Station, followed by the Q62 bus to the airport can be a fast -- and economical -- option.

Repooc17 Jan 17, 2020 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31963098)
From the Financial District, PATH from WTC to Newark Penn Station, followed by the Q62 bus to the airport can be a fast -- and economical -- option.

$2.75 + $1.60 - score! Done this many times.

Also, JFK and LGA can be free if you have unlimited MetroCard.

guv1976 Jan 17, 2020 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 31963122)

Or just $2.75, if you have a pay-per-ride card.

Jinxed_K Jan 17, 2020 2:00 pm

Definitely a better deal than my past weekend ride from/to JFK.
$7.75 Airtrain + $4.50 City Ticket from Jamaica to Penn Station

tomrun Jan 17, 2020 2:12 pm

Yes! Agreed! I work downtown and will either do this, or PATH to Newark or Harrison plus Uber to EWR (about $10-$12) and I can get from my desk to my gate in under an hour. You could do the same thing from the 33rd St PATH and switch trains, but I don't know how long that takes. Fingers crossed if they ever extend PATH out to EWR!

fredc84 Jan 17, 2020 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 31963122)
$2.75 + $1.60 - score! Done this many times.

I assume you are taking the bus to JFK, and not the airtrain to get it to be free?

Originally Posted by Jinxed_K (Post 31963297)
Definitely a better deal than my past weekend ride from/to JFK.
$7.75 Airtrain + $4.50 City Ticket from Jamaica to Penn Station

Ugh, last I took the Airtrain was $5, didn't realize they had increased it.

audio-nut Jan 17, 2020 2:40 pm

NJT is quick but there are many times it's only 3 trains per hour and they are bunched together in a 15 minute window. If you miss the last of the 3 trains, then you are in for a 45 minute wait.

audio-nut Jan 17, 2020 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84 (Post 31963381)
Ugh, last I took the Airtrain was $5, didn't realize they had increased it.

I've still got a few $26 (includes the pesky $1 unavoidable metro card fee) 10 trips that I bought right before the increase!