Reload this Page >

Manhattan travel times to JFK vs EWR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manhattan travel times to JFK vs EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:04 pm

The longest I've waited for NJT was later at night and the wait time was approximately 27 minutes when I got to the station after the AirTrain.
I've always taken NJT, but they "recently" increased the price for the trip from $13 to $15.25.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I always tell people if you're west of Fifth Avenue, EWR is easier to get to. Somewhere between Fifth and Park, you're about a wash. Of course, it always depends on what time of day -- but as a west sider, EWR can be half the time (in traffic) to JFK.

Also worth mentioning EWR is fairly condensed in terms of pulling up to the curb/getting to your gate (depending on what gate you are) compared to JFK.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Just pay the 95 bucks for the Uber Copter and call it a day 8 minutes to each .
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by fredc84
I assume you are taking the bus to JFK, and not the airtrain to get it to be free
E train to Kew Gardens, Q10 end to end. The bus stop is right next to one of the subway entrance/exit. The other end is T5.

Budget time accordingly. The Q10 Ltd (limited) makes less stops. Pretty straight forward if you have no luggages.

There are other buses, but this is the one most convenient for me.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by risenmyth
I've always taken NJT, but they "recently" increased the price for the trip from $13 to $15.25.
That's due to increase of Airtrain fee.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by Repooc17
E train to Kew Gardens, Q10 end to end. The bus stop is right next to one of the subway entrance/exit. The other end is T5.

Budget time accordingly. The Q10 Ltd (limited) makes less stops. Pretty straight forward if you have no luggages.

There are other buses, but this is the one most convenient for me.
That's what I thought you were talking about. I've never actually done that route, I prefer fast for a few more bucks.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by audio-nut
I've still got a few $26 (includes the pesky $1 unavoidable metro card fee) 10 trips that I bought right before the increase!
When your card expires, you can sometimes get the attendant in the booth to trade a new one for free if you are exchanging it for an old one. Not always, but sometimes.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:56 pm

When your card expires, you can sometimes get the attendant in the booth to trade a new one for free if you are exchanging it for an old one. Not always, but sometimes.
Where is the booth at Jamaica?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:34 pm

Where is the booth at Jamaica?
Oh, sorry, you're talking about trading in the one you bought for the Airtrain, I guess. There is a booth at the entrance to the E, I just don't know if that person can trade the card if it only has Airtrain fare. I have traded a regular metro card at the machine when the card was within one month of expiring. I've also used an empty regular metro card that wasn't expired for a 10 ride Airtrain card.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:22 pm

I've also used an empty regular metro card that wasn't expired for a 10 ride Airtrain card.
Really? I've tried that and it never worked. I guess it doesn't matter any more since the 10 trip now expires in 30 days. Can you still only use it 4 times per 18 minute period?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Irrespective of travel times, EWR still is in New Jersey.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
On average, I think it takes longer to get to JFK than EWR from most areas of downtown and Westside of Manhattan (I say this as someone who mostly uses JFK). JFK is increasingly terrible between 3 and 8 on any weekday. EWR isn’t great either but JFK can be minimum an hour and 30 minutes by car. At this point I’m always taking E train to JFK during those times

Off-peak (like right now on a Saturday morning), I’m getting 30 minutes to JFK and 25 minutes to EWR from my apartment. So during 100% ideal conditions, EWR is a tad bit closer from lower Manhattan. From the Upper East Side, JFK is about 5 minutes closer
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:35 am

Really? I've tried that and it never worked. I guess it doesn't matter any more since the 10 trip now expires in 30 days. Can you still only use it 4 times per 18 minute period?
Well, I haven't ridden the Airtrain since it was $5 when I was working, so they may have changed things as far as what metro card you can use. No idea about the use limits for time, I only ever used it to go to work which would be at most one ride per day.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The machine will get you a new/replacement card always ^

Originally Posted by Adelphos
At this point I’m always taking E train to JFK during those times
Agreed. If you are in Brooklyn, you are stuck with the A train unless you'd backtrack into Manhattan. A train has always taken longer than the E for me on trips to/from during similar times.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
The machine will get you a new/replacement card always ^
No, not ALWAYS. My last card, in fact, had 7 days left on it and the machine wouldn't exchange it. Went to the agent and he said I needed to use up what was on it before the time expired. I asked him why I didn't get a new card automatically and he didn't know but he also said he couldn't exchange it for a new one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.