Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Contactless payments for JFK Airtrain?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by dhammer53
But it's helpful in the other direction.
I was assuming someone bothering to take LIRR+Airtrain to JFK would have taken the subway at least once (unless they are coming from Jersey) ... but I had already forgotten, now with OMNY someone may need a metrocard just for the Airtrain!
Old Feb 8, 2022, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
There is a store selling Metrocards, among other items, located inside of the Jamaica Airtrain station (before exiting or after entering).

It is right across from the Metrocard vending machines.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Asshats at the port authority raised the price of the JFK air train from $8 to $8.25 or whatever but didn’t update the metrocard machines so the subway+air train fare turns out to be insufficient for getting on the subway.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: Kettle Class
Angry

This is atrociously poor customer experience

(The fare went up from 7.75 to 8.00)

Originally Posted by aquanine
Asshats at the port authority raised the price of the JFK air train from $8 to $8.25 or whatever but didn’t update the metrocard machines so the subway+air train fare turns out to be insufficient for getting on the subway.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, that’s pretty pathetic.
I’d file a complaint with the MTA and/or Tweet them - they were pretty responsive when I was communicating with them about a bus stop problem.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by aquanine
Just went through JFK and this is no longer an issue. Machines price out correctly. Not sure when they fixed it but its fixed now.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:18 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Still no Apple Pay to enter the airtrain Seems odd to not need a metro card the entire time I was in Manhattan, only to have to buy one when leaving town.

it is a different type of turnstile so maybe the tech integration is harder. I dunno.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:46 am

I've noticed that MTA LIRR and MNRR ticket machines now have tap (NFC) for credit card payment and of course NFC at subway turnstiles. Why can't the Port Authority get with the program, it would cut down on lines at Jamaica. It is the same vendor as the MTA Cubic.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:39 pm

For a NYC noob... we're flying into LGA so probably will Uber and out of JFK, so will take the subway + AirTrain. Can we buy our AirTrain $8+ metrocard ticket ahead of time at any subway station?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
For a NYC noob... we're flying into LGA so probably will Uber and out of JFK, so will take the subway + AirTrain. Can we buy our AirTrain $8+ metrocard ticket ahead of time at any subway station?
If you plan to use a pay-per-ride Metrocard for your subway travel, you can just add sufficient fare to the card to cover your $8.00 AirTrain fare; you do not need a "special" Metrocard to pay for AirTrain.

If, however, you plan to use mobile wallet or a contactless debit/credit card for your NYC subway (and bus) travels, then yes, you will need a Metrocard for the AirTrain. You have several options: You can buy a Metrocard from a Metrocard vending machine or staffed subway booth and be charged a $1 new-card fee; you can buy a packaged, pre-valued Metrocard (the minimum amount is $5.50) from any of hundreds of Metrocard retailers in NYC, and top up the card's value at a Metrocard vending machine, thereby avoiding the $1 new-card fee; or you can buy an $8.00 pre-valued Metrocard for cash from a vendor at the Jamaica AirTrain terminal.

If there will be two in your party, note that one pay-per-ride Metrocard can be used by two people; you do not need to buy two separate Metrocards.
Soccerjoshj07 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
If you plan to use a pay-per-ride Metrocard for your subway travel, you can just add sufficient fare to the card to cover your $8.00 AirTrain fare; you do not need a "special" Metrocard to pay for AirTrain.

If, however, you plan to use mobile wallet or a contactless debit/credit card for your NYC subway (and bus) travels, then yes, you will need a Metrocard for the AirTrain. You have several options: You can buy a Metrocard from a Metrocard vending machine or staffed subway booth and be charged a $1 new-card fee; you can buy a packaged, pre-valued Metrocard (the minimum amount is $5.50) from any of hundreds of Metrocard retailers in NYC, and top up the card's value at a Metrocard vending machine, thereby avoiding the $1 new-card fee; or you can buy an $8.00 pre-valued Metrocard for cash from a vendor at the Jamaica AirTrain terminal.

If there will be two in your party, note that one pay-per-ride Metrocard can be used by two people; you do not need to buy two separate Metrocards.
Perfect, thank you so much!
Old Aug 31, 2022, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Does the Path have contactless payment? I tried to use it a couple of weeks ago for the first time in years (I avoid NJ whenever possible!) at the Herald Sq station and didn’t see it.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
Does the Path have contactless payment? I tried to use it a couple of weeks ago for the first time in years (I avoid NJ whenever possible!) at the Herald Sq station and didn’t see it.
Looks like it's being rolled out in 2023:

https://www.jerseycityupfront.com/pa...ayment-system/

("PATH trains will get OMNY-like tap-and-go payment system")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.