Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Layover in JFK from midnight til 11am

Layover in JFK from midnight til 11am

Old Dec 31, 19, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
The TWA hotel in only a short time, has become an experience in itself. Youíll never have a chance again to stay there, where the hotel fits so nearly into your travelogues.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 31, 19, 2:23 pm

Programs: human being triple secret platinum
Originally Posted by ZBigFam View Post
Well the closest one is in flushing near LGA, bad idea?
This would sort of be like leaving LHR to go to a hotel near LGW for a few hours, then coming back to LHR in the morning. It doesn't make a lot of sense and you're just asking for trouble.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 31, 19, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OhDoctor View Post
This would sort of be like leaving LHR to go to a hotel near LGW for a few hours, then coming back to LHR in the morning. It doesn't make a lot of sense and you're just asking for trouble.
Lol got it, in the Midwest 8 miles is 8 minutes, I realize in NYC that's quite a bit different.

So my choices really are TWA, Hilton or camping...hmmm I'm honestly torn
Old Dec 31, 19, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus

The Guide To Sleeping in Airports

I've done it, in my younger, poorer days. But a hotel would be better if it's not a financial burden.
Old Dec 31, 19, 3:48 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Not 100% sure you'll be able to get into T8 on day of departure - assuming they kick you out as your flight leaves from T1. The lounge at T1 is nothing to write home about; it's the LH Lounge (bottom floor as I recall), not worth getting up early for.

I would vote for the TWA Hotel and check out at 1115am for the 1pm flight. Maximize sleep and minimize lounge time given the late arrival.

....also....given the midwestern reference, continue to check for ORD-TYO avilability up to a day or so before departure. JAL are known for opening up space in the last few days up to F1. With this you might be able to sleep in your own bed the night before and still have the JAL experience.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 31, 19, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nyc6035 View Post
Not 100% sure you'll be able to get into T8 on day of departure - assuming they kick you out as your flight leaves from T1. The lounge at T1 is nothing to write home about; it's the LH Lounge (bottom floor as I recall), not worth getting up early for.

I would vote for the TWA Hotel and check out at 1115am for the 1pm flight. Maximize sleep and minimize lounge time given the late arrival.

....also....given the midwestern reference, continue to check for ORD-TYO avilability up to a day or so before departure. JAL are known for opening up space in the last few days up to F1. With this you might be able to sleep in your own bed the night before and still have the JAL experience.
I don't think I can change the flight without paying change fees so I think that's out of the picture.

You do bring up a good point, will I not be able to access the flagship lounge in the morning? If not that kind of cements my decision at getting a hotel.
Old Dec 31, 19, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Lol got it, in the Midwest 8 miles is 8 minutes, I realize in NYC that's quite a bit different.

So my choices really are TWA, Hilton or camping...hmmm I'm honestly torn
There are other hotels as well by The Hiltons, Crowne Plaza, Radisson, a Courtyard and a few mins further away a Fairfield. Id check each not only for $$ rate but how many pts and go with the cheapest option
Old Dec 31, 19, 4:33 pm

Programs: LT NoN REV
There ıs a faırfield ınn by Marriott ı belıeve ıts no more than 1 - 2 mıles down the road
You can take the local bus from the llhr traın statıon at jfk....look for sıgn to buses...the bus stop to ğıck up ıs downstaırs and stops near the hotel. The bus ride about 10- mınutes ?
The local bus only takes change or ny metro card..no bılls accepted.

There ıs also holiday ınn or holiday ınn express and hılton near jfk.
Old Dec 31, 19, 4:43 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
I don't think I can change the flight without paying change fees so I think that's out of the picture.
Sorry, I read in the original post you were EXP and I assumed this was an award ticket. Revenue ticket is indeed a different story
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 31, 19, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nyc6035 View Post
Sorry, I read in the original post you were EXP and I assumed this was an award ticket. Revenue ticket is indeed a different story
No worries!
Yes am EXP on a challenge, revenue ticket hence the mileage run.
Old Dec 31, 19, 5:06 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Ok, am convinced will book a Hyatt place nearby with my points and Uber back and forth.

I had specifically chosen the late arrival expecting to "camp" out in the terminal. I had wanted to leave my home as late as possible to maximize my time with family.
If you really want a Hyatt, Iíd choose the Hyatt Place in Long Island City or even the Hyatt Herald Square over the Hyatt Place Flushing. The HP LIC is a few minutesí walk to the E at Court Square, and the Hyatt Herald Square is two blocks from Penn Station (with both the E and LIRR). The key is that you know how long itís going to take you to get to the airport the next morning and can plan accordingly. You never know what traffic will be like in the morning on the Van Wyck. You know the E from Court Square will be 25 min to Jamaica and 10 min in the Airtrain. The LIRR to Jamaica is 20-22 min (and you will be traveling off-peak in both directions, and if on the weekend you can take advantage of the city ticket which is $4.50 one-way).
MSPeconomist and ZBigFam like this.
Old Dec 31, 19, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
If you really want a Hyatt, Iíd choose the Hyatt Place in Long Island City or even the Hyatt Herald Square over the Hyatt Place Flushing. The HP LIC is a few minutesí walk to the E at Court Square, and the Hyatt Herald Square is two blocks from Penn Station (with both the E and LIRR). The key is that you know how long itís going to take you to get to the airport the next morning and can plan accordingly. You never know what traffic will be like in the morning on the Van Wyck. You know the E from Court Square will be 25 min to Jamaica and 10 min in the Airtrain. The LIRR to Jamaica is 20-22 min (and you will be traveling off-peak in both directions, and if on the weekend you can take advantage of the city ticket which is $4.50 one-way).
Thanks for this advise, checking the subway schedules now
Old Dec 31, 19, 5:09 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
OP, you also know that JL is in Terminal 1, not Terminal 8 right? So to complete your plan you'll not only need to argue with TSA to let you into T8 but then you'll need to go back landside and take the air train with enough buffer to get through TSA again in T1. This whole plan is unpleasant to put it mildly. Getting 6 or 7 hours of sleep plus a hot shower in your private room is worth $220. That's $35 per hour of sleep. Obviously it's a personal decision but man, I would never give up on hour of sleep for $35 especially while traveling.
Old Dec 31, 19, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Yes a poster above let me know that, am such a newbie to JFK.

Will tsa not let me into terminal 8 if I fly out of 1? If they won't then staying at a hotel is really my only option I think.
Old Dec 31, 19, 5:25 pm

You are flying business but wish to suffer the night before? Makes little sense. Treat yourself right. You can also get one of the cheaper options or take the airtrain and save even more staying near Jamaica station.

Search this Thread