Layover in JFK from midnight til 11am

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Layover in JFK from midnight til 11am

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Another vote for the TWA hotel. It’s not cheap, service is mediocre (which you won’t care about at that time). But it is beautiful, the views are awesome, and a good night’s rest before an NRT flight is well worth it!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
I've been wanting to visit the TWA hotel but at $220 a night it just doesn't make sense for me especially since I probably won't get settled into the hotel till close to 1am then have to get up around 8 and check in again for my flight.
I'm a pretty cheap guy myself, but if the hotel is only $220, I would personally jump on that - particularly since it's in a historically significant structure (I remember going once as a kid just to check it out with friends of my parents who at the time lived in Queens).

Not having a good night's sleep the day before leaving on a flight to Asia (with a stopover, no less!) would absolutely destroy me. A chance to sleep comfortably beforehand would be well worth $220, in my book.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:42 am

There are also a number of hotels off property but I am sure less money. I regularly leave on a midnight flight from Terminal 4. No place to sit pre security and by 10:30, stores are mostly closed.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Ok, am convinced will book a Hyatt place nearby with my points and Uber back and forth.

I had specifically chosen the late arrival expecting to "camp" out in the terminal. I had wanted to leave my home as late as possible to maximize my time with family.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
T8 is not the highlight of JFK. There's probably a hundred better airport terminals to kill 12 hours. Go to the TWA hotel if the money isn't a huge impediment. You'll be able to enjoy your 11am flight much more.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I echo all those recommending a hotel for the night.

But if you really don’t want to pay for a hotel, I’d probably at least head into Manhattan. The Airtrain + LIRR will have you at Penn Station within about 35-45 min, and you can definitely find places—e.g., in K-Town, which is close to Penn Station—that are open almost all night (until 4 or 6am). If you need it, and if memory serves, there is luggage storage in T1, where you will be departing from the next morning on JL.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Having been a United 1k this would be my first trip into jfk as United doesn't fly here. Thanks to all who have convinced me. If I'm going to spend the money would rather spend it on Hyatt as I work to qualify for 2020 globalist.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Ok, am convinced will book a Hyatt place nearby with my points and Uber back and forth.

I had specifically chosen the late arrival expecting to "camp" out in the terminal. I had wanted to leave my home as late as possible to maximize my time with family.
Where exactly is the Hyatt Place? Just a word of caution that traffic on the Van Wyck is highly unpredictable. I have been stuck in traffic at midnight on a Sunday. And if you need to Uber back the next morning, I would count on there being traffic as well. If you are staying farther afield from JFK, I would recommend something close to a Subway or the LIRR.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
OP OTH you are flying J to NRT which IIRC from JFK is a near 15 hour flight. Assuming you can sleep well on a plane that gives you lots of time to sleep. However, you would have to understand your night at JFK would mean no sleep. I'm one of these people that can go near 2 days without sleep but some people just become a total mess when they lose a night of sleep.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
OP OTH you are flying J to NRT which IIRC from JFK is a near 15 hour flight. Assuming you can sleep well on a plane that gives you lots of time to sleep. However, you would have to understand your night at JFK would mean no sleep. I'm one of these people that can go near 2 days without sleep but some people just become a total mess when they lose a night of sleep.
Ah! Someone after my own heart! I need maybe 4 hours at most a night and am really just looking for a comfortable place to "camp" till the flagship lounge opens then I can shower etc...

I am not going to get kicked out of the terminal am I?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Where exactly is the Hyatt Place? Just a word of caution that traffic on the Van Wyck is highly unpredictable. I have been stuck in traffic at midnight on a Sunday. And if you need to Uber back the next morning, I would count on there being traffic as well. If you are staying farther afield from JFK, I would recommend something close to a Subway or the LIRR.
Well the closest one is in flushing near LGA, bad idea?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Well the closest one is in flushing near LGA, bad idea?
yes. you are wasting time that could be spent sleeping. Uber to/from one of the nearby JFK hotels (Hilton, etc) if you do not want to stay at the TWA. There is no way I would spend 8+ hours in a terminal when I could spend it at a hotel. I say this as someone who has tried both options, and I will never again spend the night at a terminal.
pmblinn likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
yes. you are wasting time that could be spent sleeping. Uber to/from one of the nearby JFK hotels (Hilton, etc) if you do not want to stay at the TWA. There is no way I would spend 8+ hours in a terminal when I could spend it at a hotel. I say this as someone who has tried both options, and I will never again spend the night at a terminal.

+1, and forget about the HP , thats good for LGA and not JFK
TravelerMSY and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Ah! Someone after my own heart! I need maybe 4 hours at most a night and am really just looking for a comfortable place to "camp" till the flagship lounge opens then I can shower etc...

I am not going to get kicked out of the terminal am I?

i ran into this for an Oct trip my choice was arrive @ JFK and hangout somewhere (its an TATL flight) till apx 7pm or remain at my connecting city in Europe for 9 1/2 hrs instead of 4 1/2 hrs. Since theres a great lounge I can access I chose to do the longer layover. spoke to a friend who did the wait at JFK and said thats something they wont ever do again , absolutely no place after Customs to hang out

As for being kicked out I cant say for sure either way, but the cleaning crews will have you moving around. Are you sure they will let you into the Lounge if you are connecting on JAL out of T1?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
https://www.sleepinginairports.net/g...port-guide.htm
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.