Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Going to and from LGA in the evening from Manhattan

Old Dec 29, 19, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ, DL, AS, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt

It's been a while since I've been to LGA. My last couple of trips to NYC involved flying into EWR and out from JFK. I'm looking at a couple of flights to NYC that involves flying into and out of LGA late in the evening. The last time I was at LGA, there was lots of construction and the new terminal wasn't ready. I'll be flying Delta and I'm assuming I'll arrive at the new terminal? If I arrive at LGA between 10 PM to midnight, then what are my transit options into mid-town Manhattan? Any other cheap methods?

When leaving for LGA in the evening, say between 6-7 PM, what is my fastest option? Unless things have changed, I'm expecting heavy traffic whether I take the bus, taxi, or Uber.
Old Dec 29, 19, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the master thread about the traffic debacle at LGA.
LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Construction is ongoing and it can still get very backed up at peak periods, but other times it can be fine. Delta uses terminals C and D. There's a new concourse that opened recently in terminal D, but it's not a "new terminal."

A 10pm-12am arrival midweek is probably okay, except maybe Thursday night, lots of consultants returning home. That's probably too late for the "taxi-like" lines for Uber/Lyft which I think are more efficient than waiting for your assigned driver, although I don't have experience with the taxi-like lines:
Lyft trials taxi-like lines at airports
LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups

Taxis will require an off-site shuttle bus, so I wouldn't do that unless there's a real cluster with the car services.

Here's the old Wiki on the various transportation options, and pros/cons, which generally still holds:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160419...9_to_Manhattan.

In terms of your departure, a 6-7pm flight will likely involve peak traffic, probably worst on Thurs/Fri. Taxi/car service into LGA is best as the bus has to circle around through terminal B first which will waste a lot of time. I might consider 7/E/F subway to Jackson Heights and taxi from there since you'll be trying to leave Manhattan at rush hour. I'd probably depart Manhattan no less than 2 hours before your flight, more if you're taking a car from midtown west or are checking a bag.
lsquare and dstan like this.
Old Dec 30, 19, 11:13 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Without knowing your definition of midtown or weekday vs. weekend evening you have three options:
Cheapest - Arriving LGA 10p-midnight and desire cheap. Board Q70 bus to E,F or 7 subway at Roosevelt Ave and take it to your stop in Manhattan.
Next Cheapest - Arriving LGA 10p-midnight and going to Penn Station area. Board Q70 bus to Woodside LIRR station and can take the LIRR to midtown. Others, will argue this really doesn't save much time for the extra cost you incur but one stop from Woodside to NY Penn Station. The E line also goes to 34th St/Penn so the timing between the two matters. The details (Q70 after dropping off at Roosevelt makes sort of a U-Turn to get about 1 mile east to Woodside station, and when you get there you will wait for next LIRR to Manhattan (can be 1 minute, can be 15 minutes before its arrival), so would the subway arrive sooner vs. timing of LIRR? If your goal is just midtown 42nd Street - take the subway.
Expensive/Not so fast - Take rideshare from LGA (but I'm not sure if still require a shuttle to the ride-share area) or traffic encountered at that time.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 30, 19, 11:38 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
You can take the bus/subway on arrival at 10PM, but it will be a slower option than Lyft/Uber at that hour. If you are leaving LGA after 10:15PM transit will be even slower: lower frequencies, E is local by ~11PM, F could be local with late-night maintenance. Q70 however will be fast (when it appears) to Jackson Heights since it stops at terminal C/D last. But it will be much cheaper.

There's also the Lyft/Uber pool options, but those can be a big miss and can drag on the length of the ride to save ~$10. Depending on your destination this may not be faster than transit (and still more expensive). If you get the "PIN" pickup from Lyft/Uber that is the fastest option at that hour. If one of Lyft/Uber matches you to a car driving somewhere in Queens (no PIN and the car not coming from a lot near LGA) I would try the other service immediately. The driver may not want to go to LGA and may cancel or wait for you to cancel.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 8, 20, 3:43 am
Original Poster

I'm about to finalize my plans in NYC. Thx for the comments guys. I'm currently looking at either the Hyatt Place Times Square, 4P by Sheraton Chelsea, or Aloft Downtown Financial District. Google Maps is essentially telling me to take the subway to a stop and take the M60. I'm now booked for a Friday 3 PM flight out of LGA. You guys think I should leave my hotel at noon then?
Old Jan 8, 20, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think you'll hit too much traffic around the airport for a Friday 3pm flight. Traffic probably starts building around 3pm unless it's a holiday weekend. From either the Hyatt or 4P it shouldn't take much more than an hour to get to the airport by public transport; from Downtown maybe an extra 15 minutes. Leaving at noon would be plenty comfortable, I'd say 12:30 would be safe too.

From the Hyatt I'd take the E subway train to Roosevelt Ave/Jackson Heights and the Q70. From the 4 Pts I'd take the F train to Jackson Heights and the Q70. From downtown, I'd probably go for the 4/5 train to 59th St., transfer to the N/W train to Astoria Boulevard and the M60, but you could also do 4/5 to Grand Central to 7 train to 74th/Jackson Heights to Q70.
lsquare and krazykanuck like this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 8:04 pm

I would suggest leaving at 1145 or 12 and stopping in Jackson Heights for lunch before your flight . The stopover in Jackson Heights will be short enough that the bus transfer to the Q70 will still be free.

If youíre downtown you can also take the A to 42nd St, transfer across the platform to the E, to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave. May be faster than the 4/5 to the 7 (with easier platform transfer) and Iíve had better luck with the Q70 than the M60.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lrdpenn View Post
I would suggest leaving at 1145 or 12 and stopping in Jackson Heights for lunch before your flight . The stopover in Jackson Heights will be short enough that the bus transfer to the Q70 will still be free.

If youíre downtown you can also take the A to 42nd St, transfer across the platform to the E, to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave. May be faster than the 4/5 to the 7 (with easier platform transfer) and Iíve had better luck with the Q70 than the M60.
What's there to eat at Jackson Heights?
Old Jan 10, 20, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you’re downtown you can also take the A to 42nd St, transfer across the platform to the E, to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave. May be faster than the 4/5 to the 7 (with easier platform transfer) and I’ve had better luck with the Q70 than the M60.
I think that's probably longer as it's more geographically out of the way to take the A up the West side, but the easier transfer is a consideration. That said, from the 4/5 to the 7 is just down 2 flights of stairs. From the 4/5 to the N/R is up 2 flights of stairs I think, though there may be escalators for at least one, possibly both. That station always confuses me. (north/south 6 on top of east/west NRW, on top of north/south 4/5 with a mezzanine somewhere in the middle...)

At the end of the day, they're all probably fairly similar, and luck with train timings will probably determine which ends up being fastest.

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
What's there to eat at Jackson Heights?
I hear, good ethnic food, I believe a lot of South Asian (e.g., Indian) but possibly Latin as well. I've not eaten in that neighborhood. Another option (where I have eaten) is Flushing at the end of the 7 train (more north Asian - e.g., Chinese, Korean) but more out of the way.
Old Jan 11, 20, 10:52 am

Indian, Nepalese, Thai, Mexican, Colombian - and I'm sure Iím missing more.
Old Jan 14, 20, 2:06 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Indian, Nepalese, Thai, Mexican, Colombian - and I'm sure Iím missing more.
+Philippine food if you head West on Roosevelt Ave. I must say this area since I was a kid had the most diversity of food options in such a small radius in all of NYC. And more insane it is authentic not a tourist trap as native population from all these regions visit this area for food.
lsquare likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: