LaGuardia pronunciation

Old Nov 8, 19, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
LaGuardia pronunciation

Disclaimer: California native here.

I always thought it was pronounced more like La-Gardia, like Guardian. I hear TV announcers saying it as La-Gwar-dia which grates on my ears but I'm wondering if I'm saying it wrong.
Old Nov 8, 19, 3:17 pm

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci View Post
I hear TV announcers saying it as La-Gwar-dia.
I've always heard the TV pronunciation.
Old Nov 8, 19, 6:39 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WoH Explorist, IHG Gold, CET 7*, MLIFE Platinum
Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
I've always heard the TV pronunciation.
Same, I've always heard it pronounced like that.
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:26 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiorello_H._La_Guardia

Fiorello Henry La Guardia (/fiəˈrɛloʊ ləˈɡwɑːrdiə/; born Fiorello Enrico La Guardia,[a]Italian pronunciation: [fjoˈrɛllo enˈriːko la ˈɡwardja]; December 11, 1882 – September 20, 1947) was an American politician. He is best known for being the 99th Mayor of New York City for three terms from 1934 to 1945 as a Republican.

La Guardia, a Republican who appealed across party lines, was very popular in New York during the 1930s. As a New Dealer, he supported President Franklin D. Roosevelt, a Democrat, and in turn Roosevelt heavily funded the city and cut off patronage for La Guardia's enemies. La Guardia revitalized New York City and restored public faith in City Hall. He unified the transit system, directed the building of low-cost public housing, public playgrounds, and parks, constructed airports, reorganized the police force, defeated the powerful Tammany Hallpolitical machine, and reestablished employment on merit in place of patronage jobs.[3] La Guardia is also remembered for his WNYC radio program "Talk to the People," which aired from December 1941 until December 1945.[4]

----

My parents knew him for reading the comics to the kids over the radio during the war.

Hoyaheel and RooseveltL like this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci View Post
Disclaimer: California native here.

I always thought it was pronounced more like La-Gardia, like Guardian. I hear TV announcers saying it as La-Gwar-dia which grates on my ears but I'm wondering if I'm saying it wrong.
We say it the way it spells. Why wouldn't you pronounce the U? If I called you Matt hew would that be correct?
dh
Old Nov 9, 19, 7:07 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
Why wouldn't you pronounce the U?
Because you don't pronounce the u in guard in English. And although the name is Italian and you do pronounce the u in Italian, many proper nouns of non-English origin became pronounced according to English spelling rules in English-speaking countries.

If a person speaking primarily or only English had never heard the name said aloud before, I think it would be reasonable for them to assume the u is silent based on the spelling.

Some people pronounce things "wrongly" until well into adulthood as they may have never, or only rarely, heard those words spoken aloud. Common examples include awry and epitome, and if you have no association with the US, how would you pronounce Illinois, Des Moines or even Los Angeles if you had never heard anyone say them before?
Hoyaheel and dhammer53 like this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
We say it the way it spells. Why wouldn't you pronounce the U? If I called you Matt hew would that be correct?
dh
I guess (sorry, goo-ess) Iíve been pronouncing íknightí wrong all these years.
Old Nov 9, 19, 2:54 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
When you say it you need to use a New Yawk accent -- La Gwawdia. That is the proper pronunciation. Thank you (drops mic).
Old Nov 13, 19, 8:13 am

Oy Vey, just fuggedaboutit
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 13, 19, 8:24 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Wait until you get here and need to tell someone you are going to Houston St in Greenwich Village. Hint - it doesn't sound like the Texas city.
octr202 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 19, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RooseveltL View Post
Wait until you get here and need to tell someone you are going to Houston St in Greenwich Village. Hint - it doesn't sound like the Texas city.
Houston is pronounced correctly here - like the word "house".

If some rednecks want to pronounce it Hyew-ston, that's on them.
RooseveltL and GadgetFreak like this.
Old Nov 13, 19, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Because you don't pronounce the u in guard in English. And although the name is Italian and you do pronounce the u in Italian, many proper nouns of non-English origin became pronounced according to English spelling rules in English-speaking countries.

If a person speaking primarily or only English had never heard the name said aloud before, I think it would be reasonable for them to assume the u is silent based on the spelling.

Some people pronounce things "wrongly" until well into adulthood as they may have never, or only rarely, heard those words spoken aloud. Common examples include awry and epitome, and if you have no association with the US, how would you pronounce Illinois, Des Moines or even Los Angeles if you had never heard anyone say them before?
Ok. I see your point; but for Americans, we know how to pronounce these words. Next time you're stateside, I'll teach you New York slang.

dh
Old Nov 13, 19, 9:55 am

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Originally Posted by nerd View Post
Houston is pronounced correctly here - like the word "house".
Eh, much like "LaGuardia", Houston [the city] is named after a person, so....Can you really say it's incorrect if that's the way his name was pronounced??

I'm broad-minded enough to believe different things can both be correct. I'm also well traveled and NOT well traveled enough to know I *will* pronounce things incorrectly on a regular basis and reaching out for clarification is never a bad thing
Old Nov 13, 19, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
if you have no association with the US, how would you pronounce Illinois, Des Moines or even Los Angeles if you had never heard anyone say them before?
Arkansas comes to mind too. In Canada, so does Newfoundland.
Old Nov 13, 19, 6:05 pm

Worcester

-David
octr202 likes this.

Search this Thread