Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Staying in NYC with two dogs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Staying in NYC with two dogs

Anyone have recent experience staying in the city, or Brooklyn, with two large dogs? They are 50lb & 70lb - well behaved, etc. They will not be left alone at all, we're just looking for suggestions on people's hotel experiences.
Thank you in advance
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:50 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Apologies! Somehow your post got stuck in the moderation queue. I've released it now for feedback from our members.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:39 am

bringfido.com has a hotel search engine that lets you filter by hotels that allow big dogs.

Assuming we aren't talking about real service animals (which can go anywhere):

Dogs can only go on NYC subways and buses if they are in a carrier. For taxis and ride-hail services it's at the individual driver's discretion. The health code prohibits pets from restaurants, although some restaurants with outdoor seating will let you keep your dog on the other side of the divider between the seating area and the public sidewalk. Most stores also prohibits pets, although there are a few that are pet friendly. I think most TD Bank locations have a water bowl and dog biscuits available, for example.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:13 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Kimpton Hotels has a very pet-friendly policy and three hotels in Manhattan: https://www.ihg.com/kimptonhotels/co...riendly-hotels

The IHG Forum will have threads on the Ink48, The Muse, and Eventi Hotel.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
NYC is an incredibly dog friendly city. Many parks have dog runs (Tompkins Square Park, Washington Square Park and Madison Square Park have particularly good ones; Tompkins Square Park even has a small wading pool for dogs). Most restaurants with outdoor seating will let you tie up your dog. And notwithstanding the official rules, it’s not uncommon to see dogs on the subway without carriers.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 8:19 am

Central Park also allows dogs off-leash in most parts of the park during certain hours:

Dogs in the Park - The Official Website of Central Park NYC
Old Oct 10, 2019, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooternut
Anyone have recent experience staying in the city, or Brooklyn, with two large dogs? They are 50lb & 70lb - well behaved, etc. They will not be left alone at all, we're just looking for suggestions on people's hotel experiences.
Thank you in advance
How do you plan to organize the logistics so that the dogs are never left alone? Will you take all meals through room service or do you plan, for example, to take breakfast in shifts so that one person is with the dogs while the other is in the restaurant? NYC is dog friendly but they cannot go everywhere unless they're genuine service dogs.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How do you plan to organize the logistics so that the dogs are never left alone? Will you take all meals through room service or do you plan, for example, to take breakfast in shifts so that one person is with the dogs while the other is in the restaurant? NYC is dog friendly but they cannot go everywhere unless they're genuine service dogs.
I don’t think the OP owes us an explanation of the logistics of his/her visit.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:32 am

It seems you can always find a bag to fit your dog for riding the NYC Subway
https://www.reshareworthy.com/dogs-on-subway/
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by Blumie
I don’t think the OP owes us an explanation of the logistics of his/her visit.
I believe that MSP was pointing out that even pet-friendly hotels typically don't allow dogs to stay in the room if their humans aren't also present. I don't think the question was intrusive at all.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jspira
I believe that MSP was pointing out that even pet-friendly hotels typically don't allow dogs to stay in the room if their humans aren't also present. I don't think the question was intrusive at all.
The OP has made it clear that the dogs will not be left alone.
TWA884 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.