Wiki Posts
Search

EWR to Long Island

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:42 am
Original Poster

EWR to Long Island

Hey all,

I know this is not the best idea, but this is the situation I am in :-)

Going from EWR to Great Neck on a weekday night. I see that it can be an hour to two outside of rush hour. Will it be practical to find an Uber at 9 or 10 PM or so on a weekday night to do this?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, but. Drivers may choose to turn down long rides such as this and it is more than likely that most drivers do not want to take trip such as this as the return will almost certainly be a deadhead. Thus, even though EWR is full of Ubers, you may wait quite a while to find a willing driver.

A better alternative is one of the lower-end car services such as DIAL7. Generally more of a hassle and wait than an Uber, but not in this instance. All kinds of options for type of vehicle and that will determine price. You will also have a driver who will have GPS but is not 100% reliant on it as an EWR-area driver is likely to be in Great Neck.
bman1002 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bman1002
Hey all,

I know this is not the best idea, but this is the situation I am in :-)

Going from EWR to Great Neck on a weekday night. I see that it can be an hour to two outside of rush hour. Will it be practical to find an Uber at 9 or 10 PM or so on a weekday night to do this?
Are you not able/willing to make the trip by train?
bman1002 and Analise like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you not able/willing to make the trip by train?
That is my plan B. Thats how I plan to get back during the day though on my return trip.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is my plan B. Thats how I plan to get back during the day though on my return trip.
On weeknights, the LIRR operates roughly every half hour from NY Penn to Great Neck; trip time is roughly 35 minutes.

If there are decent NJ Transit departure times from EWR to Penn, then unless you are traveling with checked baggage, I would seriously consider making the EWR-Great Neck trip by train. It will be a little more schlepping, but it will be far cheaper than a taxi/car service, and might end up taking about the same amount of time -- depending on road conditions.
bman1002, RooseveltL and Analise like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Strongly agree with last post.
Depending how long it takes to get to the NJ Transit platform (due to AirTrain and purchase your ticket). If you boarded a NJT at 9:21pm (alt 9:00pm or 9:43pm) it would arrive NY Penn at 9:48pm. The next train leaving Penn would be 10:11 arriving Great Neck 10:46pm. There is a 9:48pm from Penn but too difficult to make it from NJT over to LIRR tracks with baggage within minutes but that earlier would arrive Great Neck at 10:23pm.
Due to location of Great Neck (North Shore) driving from EWR without traffic would take 1 hr (big assumption no traffic or construction/slow down)
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP: Depending on when you arrive at EWR, you might be able to save several dollars by taking the NJTransit Route 62 bus from your terminal to Newark Penn Station, instead of taking the AirTrain to EWR Rail Station. The bus fare is only $1.60, and the trip from the airport to Newark Penn Station takes about 15-20 minutes.

Google "NJTransit Route 62 PDF" to see the bus schedule. NJ Transit also has a "My Bus Now" bus tracker

https://mybusnow.njtransit.com/bustime/home.jsp​​​​​​

that would let you see exactly when the next bus to Newark Penn Station would depart from your terminal. You could check that once you were off the plane to help you decide whether to take the bus or the AirTrain.

I wouldn't consider the bus if it meant missing an earlier train to Manhattan. But if you're going to end up on the same NJTransit train anyway, the bus is a reasonable option.

By taking the bus, you could get from EWR to Great Neck for $16.10, total (about $8 less than if you used the AirTrain).
bman1002 and RooseveltL like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the different ideas/options.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by guv1976
OP: Depending on when you arrive at EWR, you might be able to save several dollars by taking the NJTransit Route 62 bus from your terminal to Newark Penn Station, instead of taking the AirTrain to EWR Rail Station. The bus fare is only $1.60, and the trip from the airport to Newark Penn Station takes about 15-20 minutes.

Google "NJTransit Route 62 PDF" to see the bus schedule. NJ Transit also has a "My Bus Now" bus tracker

https://mybusnow.njtransit.com/bustime/home.jsp​​​​​​

that would let you see exactly when the next bus to Newark Penn Station would depart from your terminal. You could check that once you were off the plane to help you decide whether to take the bus or the AirTrain.

I wouldn't consider the bus if it meant missing an earlier train to Manhattan. But if you're going to end up on the same NJTransit train anyway, the bus is a reasonable option.

By taking the bus, you could get from EWR to Great Neck for $16.10, total (about $8 less than if you used the AirTrain).
This is excellent advice which I don't typically suggest to tourist as they may not feel as comfortable on the bus going via downtown Newark (entirely safe and used by cabin crew frequently along with ground staff). But, from a time efficiency it can result in a sooner NJ Transit train and significantly cheaper. Sort of a win-win vs. waiting at Newark Airport NJT platform watching NYC bound trains bypass you.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
This is excellent advice which I don't typically suggest to tourist as they may not feel as comfortable on the bus going via downtown Newark (entirely safe and used by cabin crew frequently along with ground staff). But, from a time efficiency it can result in a sooner NJ Transit train and significantly cheaper. Sort of a win-win vs. waiting at Newark Airport NJT platform watching NYC bound trains bypass you.
No issues with traveling through NJ. Seen plenty of the good and bad there! Just never been to LI before :-).
RooseveltL and Analise like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just never been to LI before :-).
You're in for a treat!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
You're in for a treat!
I liked it much better than I thought I would

I did manage to get Uber/Lyft both ways. EWR to LI was roughly $80 and LI to EWR was $90, not including tips.
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.