Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

8:30 AM Domestic flight from JFK. Stay in the city or at the airport the night before

8:30 AM Domestic flight from JFK. Stay in the city or at the airport the night before

Old Aug 2, 19, 5:09 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

We are staying for a few days in mid-town upper west side. We have a Jet Blue flight back home at 8:30 AM. Would it be better to make our way out to JFK the night before and stay at airport hotel ( I know they suck) or just leave our hotel early in the AM. I was wondering about morning rush hour traffic. Thanks for any insight.
Old Aug 2, 19, 5:22 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WoH Explorist, IHG Gold, CET 7*, MLIFE Platinum
Morning rush hour traffic heading east isn't that bad as most traffic is heading into the city. But traffic in UWS can be horrendous in the mornings, whether its cutting through Central Park or heading south. Even if your flight is on weekend, that's still some distance. Given you're flight's at 8:30am, you'd need to get to airport say around 7am. Probably have to leave NLT than 6am, or more like 5-530am if weekday morning. I'd say stay by the airport and save yourself the trouble and hassle of rushing and dealing with traffic or accidents.
Old Aug 2, 19, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think a 6am departure is fine, especially if you're not checking bags. It should only take 45-60 minutes at that time, there won't be much traffic at all at that hour even mid-week.
But it might be a good opportunity to stay at the TWA hotel which is connected to the JetBlue terminal, depending on price. Though not sure if the reviews have gotten better since the debacle of an opening.
Old Aug 3, 19, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
I vote for staying in the city. A 6am taxi will have you at the airport at 6:30.
Old Aug 3, 19, 6:57 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Personally, I would not give up being in the City my last evening of the trip... too much to do. The inconvenience of getting up early to get to the airport would be worth it for me.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 3, 19, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM
We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott near JFK about a year ago due to a flight cancellation, and it was totally fine. No better or worse than any other Marriott property in my opinion. It's about a mile and a half from JFK. But I'm with the opinion that you wouldn't want to toss the last night in the city. Get up early and either subway or Uber. You'll get there in an hour or a little less leaving around 6 a.m. either way.
Old Aug 3, 19, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by easy_money View Post
Morning rush hour traffic heading east isn't that bad as most traffic is heading into the city. But traffic in UWS can be horrendous in the mornings, whether its cutting through Central Park or heading south. Even if your flight is on weekend, that's still some distance. Given you're flight's at 8:30am, you'd need to get to airport say around 7am. Probably have to leave NLT than 6am, or more like 5-530am if weekday morning. I'd say stay by the airport and save yourself the trouble and hassle of rushing and dealing with traffic or accidents.
Heading out to the airport the night before is a hassle.

​​​​​​No way I would ever consider spending the last night in the city at a dumpy hotel out near JFK.
Old Aug 3, 19, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Ditto on maximising your time in the city and doing a 6am departure to JFK
Old Aug 3, 19, 12:32 pm

If you have no need for a hotel room during the day, you could also just leave your bags with the hotel reception, wherever you're staying in the city and then head to the airport hotel at night once you're done all your activities in the city and are ready for bed.
Old Aug 4, 19, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Sometimes what I'll do in this situation is split the difference and stay in Long Island City. There are some decent new hotels there now (the HGI especially) which are far better than anything at JFK. You're an easy subway ride to Manhattan so you can come back from your evening, go to sleep, be closer to JFK and easily get an Uber the next day.
Old Aug 4, 19, 5:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Sometimes what I'll do in this situation is split the difference and stay in Long Island City. There are some decent new hotels there now (the HGI especially) which are far better than anything at JFK. You're an easy subway ride to Manhattan so you can come back from your evening, go to sleep, be closer to JFK and easily get an Uber the next day.
And they're usually a bit cheaper than Manhattan.

David
Old Aug 4, 19, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But honestly, how is relocating to LIC worth the 20-30 minutes it will save you?

Many people, daily, wake up in Manhattan and catch an 8:30 flight out of JFK..
Old Aug 4, 19, 6:21 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thanks all..... I am intrigued by the TWA Hotel. I remember it from when I traveled with my parents in the 60's. and 70's. If we decide to head out the night before we will try that.
Old Aug 4, 19, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nerd View Post
But honestly, how is relocating to LIC worth the 20-30 minutes it will save you?

Many people, daily, wake up in Manhattan and catch an 8:30 flight out of JFK..
Hotels are cheaper + 20-30 minutes in savings can be a nice combination.
Old Aug 4, 19, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Hotels are cheaper + 20-30 minutes in savings can be a nice combination.
Also some great restaurants in LIC. Casa Enrique is superb.

Search this Thread