Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

8:30 AM Domestic flight from JFK. Stay in the city or at the airport the night before

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8:30 AM Domestic flight from JFK. Stay in the city or at the airport the night before

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
With public transportation so easy you can get to JFK from Manhattan via train in about 35 minutes. Can take either subway or LIRR & AirTrain combination. If you prefer city and no problems with cost enjoy the city and just begin your travels at 6:15am.
NOTE - Previously had flights out of JFK at 8:30am and would commute from NJ (via public transportation) with no problem.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
With public transportation so easy you can get to JFK from Manhattan via train in about 35 minutes. Can take either subway or LIRR & AirTrain combination. If you prefer city and no problems with cost enjoy the city and just begin your travels at 6:15am.
NOTE - Previously had flights out of JFK at 8:30am and would commute from NJ (via public transportation) with no problem.
The 35 minute estimate is valid from midtown. The OP will be on the Upper West Side. I do not think it's possible to get from the UWS to JFK in 35 minutes via public transit.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by CMK10
The 35 minute estimate is valid from midtown. The OP will be on the Upper West Side. I do not think it's possible to get from the UWS to JFK in 35 minutes via public transit.
My apologies (this response by CMK10 is correct) - I read midtown upper West Side which I assumed as ColumbusCir-Lincoln Center/70s area which can get you to Penn Station (for LIRR) within 13 minutes via subway or <20 minutes via cab. From Penn Station is the 35 mins estimate.. I would urge pad as much time as necessary but you benefit very little staying out at airport lodging awaiting airport shuttle at some distant hotel vs. staying in Manhattan and just ride the subway//LIRR or shuttle bus from Port Authority in the early AM hours.

Last edited by RooseveltL; Aug 7, 2019 at 2:28 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
The 35 minute estimate is valid from midtown.
Specifically, only from in front of the K-mart in the Penn Station concourse. The LIRR train ride to Jamaica is nearly 25 minutes, and unless you time the AirTrain perfectly and are only going to T1, it's going to take a bit longer.
The OP will be on the Upper West Side. I do not think it's possible to get from the UWS to JFK in 35 minutes via public transit.
I'm usually able to get from my door on UWS to security in about 60-70 minutes. Usually T2/4/8; 5/7 might take a few minutes longer. Absolute fastest via car is 35-40 minutes, in the middle of the night. 45-60 min in moderate traffic, and 60-80 in rush hour traffic.
synthkeys likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.