Wiki Posts
Search

Connection time question for international flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Question Connection time question for international flight

Hello,

I fly from Amsterdam to NYC on Norwegian Air, with an expected landing time of 5:30pm ET to JFK. I live in Denver, CO and must purchase a flight that same night to return in time for a wedding the next day. I originally had an 8:15pm ET flight on Delta from NYC>Denver, but they moved up that flight by 2 hours, so that flight is no longer feasible. I have found only 2 other options for that late of a flight, and I was hoping for everyone's opinion. My first option is a JetBlue flight at 8:00pm ET (so I lose 15 minutes from the Delta flight) out of JFK. My second option is a Frontier flight at Laguardia at 10:50pm ET (I would shuttle there).

My question is, assuming everything goes according to plan/timing, will I have enough time to catch that JetBlue flight out of JFK? We will have one checked bag to retrieve after customs/immigration, then I assume recheck with JetBlue. I have TSA PreCheck, and will have "mobile passport" as well. Theoretical time is 2:30 minutes from landing to boarding next flight. Or should I cover myself and take the Fronter flight out of Laguardia?

Thank you!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by honeystinger
Hello,

I fly from Amsterdam to NYC on Norwegian Air, with an expected landing time of 5:30pm ET to JFK. I live in Denver, CO and must purchase a flight that same night to return in time for a wedding the next day. I originally had an 8:15pm ET flight on Delta from NYC>Denver, but they moved up that flight by 2 hours, so that flight is no longer feasible. I have found only 2 other options for that late of a flight, and I was hoping for everyone's opinion. My first option is a JetBlue flight at 8:00pm ET (so I lose 15 minutes from the Delta flight) out of JFK. My second option is a Frontier flight at Laguardia at 10:50pm ET (I would shuttle there).

My question is, assuming everything goes according to plan/timing, will I have enough time to catch that JetBlue flight out of JFK? We will have one checked bag to retrieve after customs/immigration, then I assume recheck with JetBlue. I have TSA PreCheck, and will have "mobile passport" as well. Theoretical time is 2:30 minutes from landing to boarding next flight. Or should I cover myself and take the Fronter flight out of Laguardia?

Thank you!
What is JetBlue's cut-off time for checking a bag at JFK?

If you must be in DEN by the next morning, your planned itinerary strikes me as very risky: If your Norwegian flight is cancelled or significantly delayed, or if your NYC-DEN flight is cancelled, what will you do?

Edited to add: It appears that UA offers a 5:00 am EWR-DEN nonstop that arrives DEN at 7:01 am MT. Would that work for you if you got stuck overnight in NYC?
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 3, 2019 at 9:24 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:45 am

Dy7701

35% on time,avg delay 25 min, max 1hr53min

So land 5:30, get out to immigration at 5:45/6, plus transfer from JFK t1 to t5 (transfer needtakes 20min? to drop bags off by 7:20pm, 40 min bagdrop deadline)

Ya... I'm leaning no

Mct recommends 1:45 I-D jfk, but easy for things to go wrong, especially on separate tickets

Last edited by paperwastage; Jul 3, 2019 at 9:52 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT!!

Not sure what time you need to be in DEN, but what's your tolerance for spending the night at JFK? There are flights in the morning that get you in to DEN as early as 8am (JetBlue) or 10:30 (Delta).Since Delta messed you up they should do a no-charge change, I think.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I would never count on Norwegian being on time. Book the next morning, enjoy a night in the city.

Exception would be if you're *in* this wedding, in which case I'd book the Frontier flight as awful as that sounds.

I might be tempted to gamble on the Jetblue flight if there were no checked bags involved.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pinniped
I would never count on Norwegian being on time. Book the next morning, enjoy a night in the city.

Exception would be if you're *in* this wedding, in which case I'd book the Frontier flight as awful as that sounds.

I might be tempted to gamble on the Jetblue flight if there were no checked bags involved.
Yep. Is there any way to avoid the checked in bag? That’s the killer here. I do also agree that Norwegian arrival is iffy at best if they’re even still flying by then.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your response. JetBlue is 40 minutes prior to a domestic flight.

I am essentially gambling I'd make that flight, so if I miss it -then $$$$ for another flight out. Another issue is my extreme dislike for Frontier, I prefer JetBlue a million times over.

I can't seem to find that exact UA flight, I see a 6:20am ET, land at 8:22am MT. We're worried about getting ready/travel time to the venue, and other extremities and likely getting in Thursday night is safest.

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Dy7701

35% on time,avg delay 25 min, max 1hr53min

So land 5:30, get out to immigration at 5:45/6, plus transfer from JFK t1 to t5 (transfer needtakes 20min? to drop bags off by 7:20pm, 40 min bagdrop deadline)

Ya... I'm leaning no

Mct recommends 1:45 I-D jfk, but easy for things to go wrong, especially on separate tickets
I appreciate your response, especially with #'s breakdown. This might make me lean more towards the Frontier flight, although I dislike that airline with a passion.

Thank you paperwastage.

Originally Posted by milepig
Welcome to FT!!

Not sure what time you need to be in DEN, but what's your tolerance for spending the night at JFK? There are flights in the morning that get you in to DEN as early as 8am (JetBlue) or 10:30 (Delta).Since Delta messed you up they should do a no-charge change, I think.
Thank you, happy to be a part of the website now. I don't think I am using it right in my responses, should I select the "quote" button or the quick response button?

We would likely need to be in Denver between 7-9am, so I may look at flights in that time frame instead.

Originally Posted by pinniped

Luckily not in the wedding, but the ceremony is at 4:30, shuttles pick up from guest hotel like an hour before, we need to drive to the hotel from the airport, girlfriend and I need to get ready. Lots of factors.

THank you so much for your response.

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 6, 2019 at 10:07 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts - Please use multi quote function
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
You could use the overnight to stay at the new TWA hotel if it is within your budget?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
You could use the overnight to stay at the new TWA hotel if it is within your budget?
Thanks for the recommendation, unlikely though
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: Please follow the thread as it moves to the New York CIty forum.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA MM
How familiar are you with Denver? Where is the hotel? Wedding venue?

Answers will help with getting a handle on the options.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It looks like you were booked on DL out of LGA for you original flight. Even if it remained at 815pm you'd not have made it.

Dont know exact date, but I'd have DL book you JFK-MSP on the 729pm departure, staying MSP overnight, then MSP-DEN on one of multiple morning flights. DL is great about rebooking in cases where they change schedule. If agent says, no, politely thank them, hang up, and call back. DL empowers their agents, but some just dont want to put in any effort.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
How familiar are you with Denver? Where is the hotel? Wedding venue?

Answers will help with getting a handle on the options.
Hey Jim,

I appreciate your response. I actually live in steamboat springs, and used to live in Denver -so quite familiar. I have actually decided to purchase the Frontier flight out of LGA for the sake of time constraints. Although I dread frontier, sacrifices had to be made!

Thank you again.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It looks like you were booked on DL out of LGA for you original flight. Even if it remained at 815pm you'd not have made it.

Dont know exact date, but I'd have DL book you JFK-MSP on the 729pm departure, staying MSP overnight, then MSP-DEN on one of multiple morning flights. DL is great about rebooking in cases where they change schedule. If agent says, no, politely thank them, hang up, and call back. DL empowers their agents, but some just dont want to put in any effort.
Thank you very much for your response.

My original flight was JFK>DEN at 8:15pm, you don't see that flight because they switched it (moved it up) from 8:15pm to 6:15pm, leaving essentially no time for transfer. It was very gracious of you to look up alternate flight schedules, I appreciate that! I have decided on the 10:50pm Fronter flight out of LGA, gives me the best/most ample timing for transfer, albeit at a different airport.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Does Frontier have some type of Economy Plus type seating? That might make it slightly less sucktastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.