B6 A320s Gently Collide at JFK Days After AA/DL Near Miss

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2023, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat

What is going on at JFK?

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...-days/4053910/
Old Jan 18, 2023, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like Friday an AA pilot took the wrong turn on a taxiway and yesterday a tug operator got a little sloppy at the wheel.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I was surprised to learn (from the "74 Gear" YouTube channel's video on the CA 981 incident) that JFK requires pilots to listen to the ground frequency and communicate with the ramp frequency and then relay to ground whether or not they've been cleared to the ramp. That's crazy. Why do they want the pilots, who are operating a piece of heavy machinery and have so much else to look out for, to do this? Increasing their workload just increases the probability of accidents. Can't the airport have the ramp and ground people coordinate on the back end?
Old Jan 18, 2023, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would that have been a factor in this incident?

AA was departing, and additionally was holding near the active runway, well clear of the ramp.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
Would that have been a factor in this incident?

AA was departing, and additionally was holding near the active runway, well clear of the ramp.
I don't think it would have been a factor in this incident because the planes were departing. But it seems like a bad idea to make pilots do extra work switching frequencies when they're already trying to handle everything else associated with arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.