Reload this Page >

JFK's iconic TWA terminal now a hotel

Old May 30, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jmd001
TWA Hotel Official Website

[The following information taken from its website]

The only on-airport, AirTrain-accessible hotel at JFK, walkable from Terminal 5
Take the AirTrain 24/7, exit at the Terminal 5 stop and follow the signs to JetBlue’s baggage claim area
At baggage claim, follow the signs to the TWA Hotel elevator
Take the elevator up to Saarinen’s iconic flight tubes and walk through to the lobby of the hotel

Check-in time 4 pm, checkout time 11 am

Day stays can be reserved for the following time intervals:
7 AM – 11 AM
8 AM – 8 PM
10 AM – 4 PM
NOON – 6 PM

And from the FAQs page:
Do you offer industry or TWA employee rates?
At this time, we do not offer special industry or TWA employee rates. We do plan to launch a special rate for the members of these important communities soon. Our current rates can be found only on twahotel.com. We do not offer AAA member rates.

I’m a travel agent. Can I make a reservation via the GDS?
The only way to make a reservation for the TWA Hotel is online at twahotel.com. At this time the hotel is not active within the GDS and all rates offered are net, non-commissionable.

Are government rates available?
Yes, the TWA Hotel extends the government per diem rate to all U.S. Federal Government employees and active duty U.S. Armed Forces members. There is a limit of two rooms per night and a valid ID is required at check-in.
Per an email response from the hotel: "The executive rooms provide roughly 40 sq feet more than deluxe, and presidential about 100 additional sq ft." Although asked, the size of the deluxe was not quoted.
Print Wikipost

JFK's iconic TWA terminal now a hotel

Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:54 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Any idea when the pool will open?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Since we have two threads going about the hotel, wanted to post a link (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31170749-post23.html) to my post about issues in hotel.

Basically the hotel is in a state it really shouldn't be open yet, even as a soft opening. However they're advertising as it's open, fullstop, no asterisk. I do believe it'll be a great hotel once it's fully ready. However right now they're just damaging their image.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:54 am

I have an online reservation for the rooftop on 6/12 as I have a B6 flight at 8p hopefully it's open. The Connie didn't have any times that would work for my flight.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
It is my understanding the top level deck and swimming pool are now open, although this was not the case during my recent Memorial Day weekend stay. I was okay with that, and the fact the fitness lounge was not then open, and even no ice machine or difficulties with the television. I was not happy when I was rudely told by the three women standing guard I could not eat at the bar at the Paris Cafe. The front desk manager told me through email the food hall was a viable option three days prior to my arrival. Yes, this food hall was closed the night I was there, and it was another guest, not a hotel employee, who gave me the reason why: the food hall was shut down by the NYC Board of Health. There were two food trucks parked outside but other than a Diet Coke, I did not feel safe buying food from them. The sunken lounge was a fiasco. It took management intervention for me to be seated after my reservation came and went, and I could see there was available seating. The clueless, inefficient waitress did not know what a Cape Cod drink was and by the time the drink and 3 slides had appeared, I was about to leave after having waited an interminable amount of time. The bill for food drink was close to $40 with tip and taxes. It took forever for this waitress to return my credit card (cash is verboten at this facility). There were several waitresses and other employees walking around with a "deer-in-the-headlight" gaze although they did look cute dressed in vintage TWA uniforms. On the plus side, I loved the TWA flight attendant and pilot uniform exhibit on the second level. My room had a fantastic view of A380s taking off and taxiing, and the adjacent JetBlue Terminal. I did not hear jet noise but I did hear honking early the next morning, but this did not last too long. The room, albeit on the smaller side for two double beds, was comfortable, and the only real negative was an extremely noisy AC fan. I usually like the hum of the A/C fan for the white noise but this was not the usual hotel room fan. It was LOUD. Oh, it was a trek from the AirTrain to the TWA Terminal. Give yourself at least 15 minutes. I don't know if I will return even after the amenity and staffing issues have ironed out. I was not treated well and management's promise, confirmed by email, that I could eat in the hotel's food hall, only to find it closed and having a guest to tell me why (the front desk knew NOTHING about this issue or anything else!), leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. There is a trip report regarding this hotel. A poor guy flew in from Europe just to stay here and others in the forum were decidedly unsympathetic and told him it was, more or less, his own fault for booking a room too soon after its opening. Sorry, but if a hotel advertises amenities that are not available, then said hotel is Deceptive. Period. The front desk manager had Every Opportunity to tell me in his email prior to my arrival (in response to my query regarding Paris Cafe reservations - the hotel never emailed me on its own prior to my arrival despite my reservation telling me they would) the pool and fitness center were not available. He did not. Again, while I was disappointed they were closed, it is the Deception on the part of the hotel which bothers me most. Business fall or rise on their reputations. The TWA Hotel is not off to a good start.

Last edited by PACLipper; Jun 9, 2019 at 12:25 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
I have a one night layover at JFK in December and I booked the TWA Hotel the very day they commenced online reservations. I booked Deluxe King with Runway View for myself (travelling solo). It's alarming to read what e.g. @PACLipper wrote, because they've built up so much hype and prelaunch marketing around the hotel, that I'm slightly worried what the situation might be in December, if they've already screwed up this badly their first stage of operations. It never bodes well for the future, because it's an obvious sign of management issues, not individual staff members being the issue. If you can't run your restaurant and you've actually been closed by a NYC authority, then it sounds more like a shady kebab shack somewhere in Bronx, rather than the restaurant of a supposedly 4/5 star hotel at JFK and with the prices they charge.

Thankfully I can still cancel, if it's in shambles when fall comes. Too bad, because I'm so keen to experience some TWA and jetset nostalgia. It's such an aviation geek hotel with splendor - at least it should be.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:59 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
I have a one night layover at JFK in December and I booked the TWA Hotel the very day they commenced online reservations. I booked Deluxe King with Runway View for myself (travelling solo). It's alarming to read what e.g. @PACLipper wrote, because they've built up so much hype and prelaunch marketing around the hotel, that I'm slightly worried what the situation might be in December, if they've already screwed up this badly their first stage of operations. It never bodes well for the future, because it's an obvious sign of management issues, not individual staff members being the issue. If you can't run your restaurant and you've actually been closed by a NYC authority, then it sounds more like a shady kebab shack somewhere in Bronx, rather than the restaurant of a supposedly 4/5 star hotel at JFK and with the prices they charge.

Thankfully I can still cancel, if it's in shambles when fall comes. Too bad, because I'm so keen to experience some TWA and jetset nostalgia. It's such an aviation geek hotel with splendor - at least it should be.
Their full opening is supposed to be in September, so you'll probably be much better off than PACLipper / me (I stayed a week after opening). Hopefully they will have sorted out the issues by then.

(View from Runway King room was amazing by the way).
Flying Yazata likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
...Thankfully I can still cancel, if it's in shambles when fall comes. ...
If/when you do book, be aware of the "Booking Policies" from the reservations page ... particularly the first paragraph (emphasis added):
A deposit in the amount of your total stay will be charged at booking. A $10 fee per night applies for any modifications or cancellations. Reservations can be cancelled or modified until 7 days prior to arrival date.

An authorization hold of $100 per night will be placed on the guest credit card at check-in for incidentals. This $100 will be released upon checkout.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Mrs vanillabean and I spent a night at the TWA hotel earlier this week. Nice retro architectural design outside and inside, lobby, open sitting area, London and Paris lounge level cafés, but somehow I wasn’t quite swept Mad Men or Pan Am tv show style. A couple of framed photographs or posters on the wall in the room would have helped, as would a mid-century modern or just any style to heat up water.

We had fortunately booked a room with a view of the runways, two floors down from the rooftop hot air cool water pool. The old-style KLM plane with two stories in front brought out sentimental memories. Also Singapore Air to FRA at 8:55p; the nonstop SIN leaves out of EWR. Emirates, Air India, Air Europa, China Southern, Atlas and much more, jetBlue on the left.

It was a 15 min to the AirTrain, a nice and scenic hotel curved corridor terminal 5 walk, but somewhat of a stretch if you were to go to the Wingtips lounge for breakfast at the neighboring terminal or the Air France lounge for a nightcap.

At this time, one’s aim shouldn’t be getting a reasonable value ratio of the stay. We did the first night there for the rough edges opening experience, and I’m glad we did. Down the line, the hotel may well warm up to one’s expectation of the full retro taking-you-back time-stands-still scenario.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by jmd001
If/when you do book, be aware of the "Booking Policies" from the reservations page ... particularly the first paragraph (emphasis added):
And for anyone who booked real early, the original cancellation policy was 72 hours and a $10 charge. If you cancel now in the 168-72 hour window, you may get charged the full amount, so keep your confirmation emails.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Just to share with others, the travel blogosphere has pointed out the new access policies for non-hotel guess at the Pool Bar and Observation Deck.

https://onemileatatime.com/twa-hotel...n-deck-access/

Travelers wishing to access the pool deck can choose one of two ways:
1. Day Pass- $25/person midweek, $50/person weekends. Passes are limited and reservations can be made through their website. Note: The day pass does not include a table at the bar area, but you can still order food and drinks from them.

2. Reservation for a meal at The Pool Bar for up to 6 guests. However, the reservation requires a minimum food and beverage charge of $50/person plus tax and an 20% gratuity. Reservations are for a two hour period

I'm going to cancel my reservation for the Pool Bar coming up in a few weeks because I find this policy for the meal reservation to be ridiculous, and borderline irresponsible. Considering the food items on the menu mostly range between $16-20, to get your $50 worth, you're expected to order multiple alcoholic drinks ranging from $9 for beer to $16/17 for cocktails or glasses of wine. Never mind the fact that not everyone drinks alcohol, it's not smart to encourage people to drink to get their moneys worth considering all the stories of drunk and unruly pax these days.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's an entree and two drinks. Or an appetizer, entree, and two cokes. Or just pay the difference up to $50.

You might want to stay away from Las Vegas.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:10 am

Two drinks tax and tip was $40, mixed drink and wine. now they are not counting tax and tip so is more than two drinks.
Oh and I did get a table, this was around Father's day. It wasn't crowded, was making at 8p weekday flight so I was there 5p. They also let a person in without a reservation, well he snuck by the entrance and they chased him down. They hounded him to buy something.

I won't be going back anytime soon, hope they don't change the rules for the Connie.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
I'll stick by my one night stay in a runway view room later this year. I can at least say then "been there, done that."
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by ijgordon
It's an entree and two drinks. Or an appetizer, entree, and two cokes. Or just pay the difference up to $50.

You might want to stay away from Las Vegas.
I've never been to Las Vegas besides the airport, and have no intention of ever going. I stand by my statement that I think the $50 requirement is ridiculous. Everyone's habits are different, but I rarely spend $50 on a meal for myself. If I order an appetizer and entree, food goes to waste. Entree and a beer, then it's at least three drinks. I'm not going to order something I don't want just because it's more expensive or throw money away just to hit their minimum. Obviously this bar has been a huge success, so good for them, but the novelty is not worth $50 to me.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TuxTom
I've never been to Las Vegas besides the airport, and have no intention of ever going. I stand by my statement that I think the $50 requirement is ridiculous. Everyone's habits are different, but I rarely spend $50 on a meal for myself.
Well then you're obviously not the target market. Plenty of people spend $50 and more (way more) on meals. It's not ridiculous and it's not "irresponsible." Is it ridiculous that you have to spend $35 just to get to the top of One WTC, and that doesn't include ANY food at all? Would it be less ridiculous to you if they just charged an admission fee?

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but no need to publicly slam the place on that basis. There may well be other reasons to though...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.