Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Hotels so expensive in early December?

Hotels so expensive in early December?

Old May 14, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andrewstahl
I just did a dummy booking and found a $107 per night AAA rate at the Newark Airport Marriott for December 6 & 7. You can easily take NJ Rail from this hotel into NYC.
Oof, while that's a good price, it's probably 50-60+ minutes travel each way and ~$30 r/t; I don't think you can walk to the terminals to get the Airtran, so probably have to wait for a shuttle. And on weekends, the NJ Transit schedules are terrible, often with a ~45 minute wait between trains.
I guess it comes down to how much your time is worth, vs. paying for a more expensive but more convenient hotel.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:55 pm

Agreed. This way is using too much of your time to get to Manhattan. You cannot walk to the Terminals and the AirTrain does not stop at the Marriott. Throw in unreliable NJ Transit and you have an unpleasant experience
Often1 likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
I was looking into hotels in Manhattan in early December, say the weekend of the 7th. Everything is so expensive, like $400/night. I know that January is considerably cheaper. Do you think it will get any cheaper? Or is there a large convention or United Nations?
If youre willing to use Hotwire, which requires you to commit to and pay for a hotel before they identify the exact hotel, you can do quite well. For example, I see highly rated properties in Manhattan during the first week of December for the low $200s (although taxes and the Hotwire fees push the prices into the mid- to high $200s). My technique is to conduct a search but then filter the results to show only Hot Rate deals and only properties with a minimum recommendation of 90%. You can then use the map to see listings in particular neighborhoods. I use this technique frequently with excellent results.
TWA884 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.