Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Closest Hotel to JFK T4 (Delta)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
This is not a bad suggestion, but the others, including me, who have done both are making the point that even with an Uber or taxi, you're still 15 minutes from your terminal--as with many major airports although you can see where you're going the entire time you're traveling there, it still takes longer than it should look to do so. So there's a savings of maybe 15 minutes each way..
The JFK Hilton is an 8 minute drive without traffic, which there presumably would not be very early in the morning (based on OP I'm assuming flight departs around 6am and so OP is on way to airport at 4am give or take). And this is door to door service.

The Manhattan suggestion was to take the train from Penn station. Once you add the walk or cab ride from your hotel to Penn station, plus waiting time for your train, I have a hard time believing that this can be done in under one hour, especially super early in the morning when trains don't run as often. Even if you were to take a car from Manhattan you'd still be looking at a 30-40 minute drive, and a much more expensive fare.

Again, I love New York, I think it is one of the best cities in the world, and I would always grab a chance to spend time in the city. But it's just not accurate to portray these options as similar. Staying in Manhattan will almost certainly be more expensive (hotel and commute) and it will likely include travel time to JFK that 5-6 times as long as the uber ride from a JFK airport to the T4 curbside.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I have to agree. Last year I went to NYC twice, stayed in Manhattan once and stayed right by JFK once. When I stayed in Manhattan, we arrived at JFK at 10 pm on a Friday evening and got in the cab around 1030 PM. It still took well over an hour to get to our hotel in Central Manhattan. Traffic coming out of JFK was awful and Manhattan was bumper to bumper traffic. Getting back to JFK on Sunday morning was slightly better but still heavy traffic in Manhattan and heavy traffic around JFK.

Later that year we stayed overnight at JFK after coming back from Europe. Had an ~11 PM arrival into JFK. Our flight left for Texas at 2 PM the next day. We stayed at the Hampton Inn by JFK which was more than adequate. To get to the hotel, we did have to take the AirTrain to Federal Circle; thankfully the shuttle was there right as we came down, so we got lucky in that regard. On the way back to JFK the following day, the hotel shuttle took all of us straight to the terminals - we didn't have to deal with the AirTrain going back to JFK. Maybe just lucky on our part there too but was certainly convenient enough.

But I would certainly agree that if you don't want to mess with the AirTrain and shuttle, just get a cab and take it to an airport hotel (Hilton, Hampton Inn, etc.) which will be more than adequate for an overnight place to sleep.

Who doesn't use Google Maps to check a hotel location prior to booking it these days?
Of course, there are plenty of decent hotels that are literally walking distance to Penn Station unless you're carrying a lot of luggage or the weather is just awful. I've stayed at the Tryp and the HIXs in Chelsea and Times Square South. And although you and I and many others in this thread would use Google Maps, believe me, there are many who still don't. Use Google Maps to check where some of the hotels are located that advertise themselves as "airport" hotels or that run shuttles to Federal Station. I did that once when I was passing time waiting at Federal Circle for the Crowne Plaza shuttle bus to arrive. Fascinating stuff.

BTW, who doesn't know that the AirTrain/LIRR combination saves the hassle of having to worry about the surface traffic into Manhattan that any shuttle, bus, taxi, or Uber would have to battle?
LAX-1K likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Until OP comes back to clarify schedule and requirements, all we can do is what New Yorkers typically do when giving advice to out of towners... debate opinions

BTW thanks to this thread I now know the TWA Hotel is finally opening, so will be booking it for my next 8am DL flight rather than follow my own advice of staying in Manhattan the night before.

Originally Posted by remyontheroad
All this makes we wonder if there aren't cooler hotels other places than Manhattan that might be fun to spend a night - maybe cheaper and a quick car to the airport.
Some hipster place in Rockaway, or a chain hotel in Jackson Heights or Coney Island?
Could be interesting...
More for flying out on DL out of LGA, but LIC actually has quite a few new properties now, mostly chains but some independents.

Originally Posted by davetravels
It also helps that I speak decent Spanish.
Depends which part of Queens.

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I have to agree. Last year I went to NYC twice, stayed in Manhattan once and stayed right by JFK once. When I stayed in Manhattan, we arrived at JFK at 10 pm on a Friday evening and got in the cab around 1030 PM. It still took well over an hour to get to our hotel in Central Manhattan. Traffic coming out of JFK was awful and Manhattan was bumper to bumper traffic. Getting back to JFK on Sunday morning was slightly better but still heavy traffic in Manhattan and heavy traffic around JFK.
OP was describing an early morning departure, when traffic outbound to the airports is generally clear. Specifics from the OP would help, though. Inbound traffic on a Friday evening can be terrible (at least certain times of year).

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
The Manhattan suggestion was to take the train from Penn station.
My suggestion was to pick a hotel optimized for the desired mode of travel. If transit, stay near Penn Station (where there are a bunch of new properties within about a 2 minute walk). If car, stay close to the tunnel or bridge. Going crosstown is a real time sink, even at 5am. (The lights are synchronized for N/S, not E/W.)
Old May 5, 2019, 6:34 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread as I move it to the NYC Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'd stay away from TWA hotel for a few months. Right now it's in a state it shouldn't be open even as a soft opening. However they're acting like it is fully open. Stayed here last week and ended up getting full refund, plus offer of a free night in future.

Also note access isn't the easiest. Airtrain connects to opposite end of T5 that TWA hotel does. Its quicker to go to street level and cross the street than going through T5. Also no Taxis wait here yet.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'd stay away from TWA hotel for a few months. Right now it's in a state it shouldn't be open even as a soft opening. However they're acting like it is fully open. Stayed here last week and ended up getting full refund, plus offer of a free night in future.

Also note access isn't the easiest. Airtrain connects to opposite end of T5 that TWA hotel does. Its quicker to go to street level and cross the street than going through T5. Also no Taxis wait here yet.
Could you say more about the problems you experienced?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

There are some comments in this thread towards the bottom ( a few posts down)

JFK's iconic TWA terminal now a hotel

Regards

TBS
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Booked accessible room. Arrived at hotel, no problems checking in. Long walk with confusing signage to get to the room. At one point you can miss a hallway and end up going all the way to terminal. Elevators are only at one end of floor. Guess which end they placed accessible rooms?Yep, opposite. Also the design of hotel is not ADA compliant in any fashion. You have lots of uphill walking. A person in a non-electric wheelchair would never make it up alone.

Once in room, obvious I was 1st guest.
Issues -
Shower had no fold down bench installed as is supposed to be for accessible.
No shower curtain (common issue in all rooms).
Construction dirt still in shower.
Water pressure just about nil
Water temp, lukewarm at best
No clock in room/call for wakeup call/informed hotel doesn't do wakeup calls even though no clocks installed in rooms!
Curtains are electric floor to ceiling and are supposed to be in a track. One isn't meaning it doesn't close correctly without major fidgeting.
New towels had obviously not been washed.
One outlet, and you couldn't use both plugs at same time.
Tray full of toys and candies. No prices, you must go online. Minibar refrigerator not fully stocked.
Phones are rotary. Not very practical. Phones don't always work either. I called and asked for manager. No problem when I would call. When they would call, they could hear you, but you couldn't hear them. Found out this is a known issue, they have to find a phone that will connect properly if this happens.
Housekeeping randomly knocks on door and tries to enter. Obvious they had no clue which rooms needed what done, plus when it needed to be done.

No food service, they had just gotten shut down by health department. Even then, before it was only very limited service. They were telling guests to eat in terminal. Theres not much landslide at any terminal.
No waiting taxis for pickup. Airtrain requires entering T5, going to opposite end, crossing bridge, and boarding. Other option is to to cross street, which has no crosswalk to enter via parking garage.

Bag storage - they don't store them in a secure room. Instead they place them on the old bag belt behind the counter. One could easily walkup and walk away with a bag with no one noticing.

Finally employees just seemed to not care. It seemed they were worn down by all the issues, leaving no willpower to help.

I do think it'll become a great hotel. However they should've held off opening. They causing damage to their image by operating in the state they are. This is especially true, as they nowhere note that hotel is not fully ready. Everything has been published as the hotel being open, fullstop, no asterisk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.