Search

Credit card surcharges in New York upsetting restaurant customers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Credit card surcharges in New York upsetting restaurant customers

Check it out.

New York City just got more expensive and almost no one noticed.

A long-running court battle that ended in January gives New York merchants the right to charge extra for credit card purchases as long as the pricing is clear.

Instead, some businesses are slipping in sneaky fees or trumpeting non-existent cash “discounts.”
https://nypost.com/2019/04/27/new-yo...rd-surcharges/

I would be upset about this if it happened to me, especially since restaurants unlike a lot of other places can get away with being sneaky with a credit card surcharge if they spring it on you after you have already consumed your meal. If you dont have any cash on you you become captive to the fee, not like you can just get up and walk out without paying.

Although me personally I would just deduct the credit card fee from the tip and never go back to that particular place, problem solved.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:29 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Another reason the US sucks. Rarely do we include the total price for day-to-day transactions (save for some examples in sales tax-free states...though when dining out, tips naturally still aren't included).

That $7.99 lunch special can go take a long walk off of a short plank.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Doesn't Australia permit (some) merchants to charge customers extra for using credit cards?

More junk fees, with NYC leading the way.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Not a restaurant, but T-Mobile is a clear exception to the normal in the US, probably the only mainstream company that prices with taxes included and clear transparency.

Two other food trends I've also noticed is casual restaurants are doing this automatic 15-20% service charge/gratuities and un-consented tips are being added to my bill. Just the other week I went a local coffee shop and the cashier added a $2 tip to my coffee, even though I signed the slip and didn't put any tip. I ended up filing a dispute with the cc and haven't gone back to the shop. Seriously though, I have no problem paying a little more for my food/drinks when going out if they get rid of the sneaky tricks to inflate my bill.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:34 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Per this forum's faq
Destination- & airline-specific topics need to go in the those forums, please!
and because this topic is state-specific, I will move to the appropriate destination forum (and also counsel that it not turn in a politicized/OMNI-PR direction).

Thanks,

cblaisd, Co-Moderator, Dining Buzz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.