Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

2 hours to connect Int'l to Domestic at JFK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

I've just booked separate flights to get home (DEN) from Istanbul via JFK as it was far cheaper than buying together through Turkish Air. I booked the itinerary Google Flights gave me without thinking too much about connection times. Today it has dawned on me that I will only have 2 hours 20 minutes to get through Border Control (without Global Entry) and over to T5 to board my flight home. Is this likely to go terribly wrong? Since I booked these legs separately, I don't think I can expect JetBlue to have any mercy if I miss my flight. If it helps, I will not be checing any baggage. Also, this will be a Saturday (1st of June).

Any advice is welcome. It hasn't been 24 hours yet since purchasing my JetBlue flight so I have time to cancel if need be (though my other options are either far less convenient [traveling to LGA, or spending the night in NY] or far more expensive).

Cheers
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I'd cancel and rebook a later departure. Could very easily have a thunderstorm, or who knows what other reason for a delay at JFK. Or maybe you're stuck on the tarmac for a while waiting for a gate to clear. If you're only an hour late into JFK, you're pretty much guaranteed to miss your flight out.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I'd cancel and rebook a later departure. Could very easily have a thunderstorm, or who knows what other reason for a delay at JFK. Or maybe you're stuck on the tarmac for a while waiting for a gate to clear. If you're only an hour late into JFK, you're pretty much guaranteed to miss your flight out.
Thank you, that seems reasonable. My only other option to get home without a hotel stay in NY or elsewhere would be a flight out of LGA at 10:57pm (3 hours after the JFK flight which is at 7:46pm. Flight from Turkey lands JFK at 5:25pm) That gives me 5 hours to go through customs/take a cab to LGA/get through security. Switching airports is not ideal, but this itinerary would allow for some mishaps.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's a matter of your risk tolerance as you are on separate tickets. No way to predict why there might be a delay. If you are willing to take the risk, go ahead. If not, then cancel and rebook for the next day.

For what it is worth, I don't think that 3 hours xLGA is better than 2 hours at JFK.
lost_perspicacity likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
You also have 13L/31R out of service for 8 months that would even be worse with a storm and the airport landing in that direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.