Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Best place to get Uber/Lyft to LGA or JFK from N/R/W/E/F train in Queens?

Old Apr 14, 19, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

I usually take the E train and then the Q70 bus from Manhattan to LGA, or the E train and the JFK Airtrain from Manhattan to JFK.

However, recently the E and F trains have been delayed significantly; the MTA website's trip planner is NOT accurate even when it says that construction or whatever is factored into the recommended schedules that it shows. Sometimes the E or the F are shown as express trains, but then they suddenly are announced as locals, midway through the trip. Then sometimes the Q70 bus from 74th Street/Roosevelt Avenue or the JFK Airtrain requires a long wait once I get off the subway.

When the subway is running late and/or there is a long wait to transfer to the Q70 bus or Airtrain, I'd like to just grab an Uber or Lyft. This Saturday, I jumped off the subway at Queensboro Plaza (coming from Manhattan) and tried to get an Uber or Lyft there, but traffic at Queensboro Plaza was really bad and it took 35 minutes to get a car, and there were very few street signs, and it was really confusing to figure out where I was.

So: if you're taking the subway from Manhattan to LGA or JFK and the subway is delayed, what's the best place to jump off and grab an Uber or Lyft? For LGA, 74th Street/Roosevelt Avenue? And JFK, Jamaica (where you pick up the Airtrain)? Or are there better locations (less traffic but still close to the airport, and with plenty of Ubers/Lyfts nearby)?

Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 19, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I don't know the answer to your question, as I don't use Uber/Lyft. However, here are a couple of things for you to consider:

1. When the E/F run local rather than express between Long Island City and Roosevelt Avenue/Jackson Heights, that adds a total of only 5 or 6 minutes to the trip time -- unless there are delays on the local track.

2. The LIRR from Penn Station to Woodside runs frequently, and takes about ten minutes. The Q70 to LGA begins its run at Woodside Station, stopping only at the Roosevelt Avenue/Jackson Heights subway station before running nonstop to LGA.
​​​​​
NYCommuter likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 1:06 pm

I agree with the suggestion for JFK- Take the LIRR (Long Island Railroad) to Jamaica). It is a 20 minute ride from Penn Station to the Air Train and you just have to go up 1 flight. The LIRR runs frequently, is comfortable and has luggage racks.
For LGA- any major subway stop in queens is a hassle for getting an Uber. When I go to LGA and the Q70 bus is messed up. I take a green NYC metered taxi. They are always plentiful at the 74th st/Roosevelt Avenue stop.
NYCommuter likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
In that situation I would go to Astoria to pick up the n or w
NYCommuter likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're at Jackson Heights waiting for the Q70, you're probably better off jumping into a green cab than trying to find an Uber. That area is so confusing the one or two times I tried Uber, it took 10 minutes to find the driver. The green cabs usually wait right near where the Q70 buses exit the "depot" and there's almost always one or two.
NYCommuter likes this.