Wiki Posts
Search

Expensive rental at NYC airports and hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RedChili
What I'm thinking about is a family vacation. I'm just in the planning stages, but preliminary plans are NYC, D.C., Niagara Falls, and Toronto, and I would clearly need a car for such a journey. I would just spend a couple of days visiting Manhattan. Hotels on the island are too expensive, so I figured out that the cheapest way of visiting for a family would be to rent a car and get a hotel within an hours drive south of the Staten Island Ferry. Parking at the SI terminal is just $8 for a whole day, which is about double of what I pay for a day in my residential area of a Swedish village of 6,000 people, or the same price as two hours parking in downtown of the nearest Swedish city, so $8 for a whole day in one of the biggest cities in the world is a bargain. (I'm actually from Norway, and the last time I was in downtown Oslo I parked a car for six hours and it cost me about $60.) The SI ferry is probably also the most scenic journey into Manhattan. So, the most convenient option for me would be to fly into EWR (or JFK), rent a car from Hertz, and drive to a hotel perhaps half an hour south of EWR. I found several good options at good prices in that area. But the problem, as I explained, is that the prices I get for Hertz for EWR/JFK are twice as expensive as other U.S. airports.

Edited to add that I've driven a car in downtown Moscow, St. Petersburg, Paris, Amsterdam, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, and other cities with major traffic problems, so traffic jams don't really scare me. And, of course, my own home town in Sweden, which is the worst of them all.
How big is your family? And in what order do you plan to visit the various cities?

Ordinarily, it would be madness for a tourist to have a car in NYC, Washington, DC, and maybe even Toronto. Bus travel between NYC and Washington, DC, is frequent, and can be quite inexpensive if booked sufficiently far in advance. Take a look at https://us.megabus.com for just one example. Amtrak would be a little nicer, but more expensive. However, Amtrak fares permit free en-route stopovers of up to 24 hours, so if you also wanted to see Philadelphia and/or Baltimore, Amtrak might be worth considering.

If you need a car to drive between major cities, consider doing one-way, one-day car rentals.

For reasonably priced lodging near Manhattan, I would look at properties in Long Island City, Queens, or in Secaucus or Carlstadt, New Jersey. I've often stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Carlstadt, and taken the 20-minute bus ride into Manhattan. If you collect IHG Rewards points, that property is just 20,000 points/night (or $100 USD if you buy IHG points when IHG runs a 100% bonus sale).
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
EWR has its own Hertz at the rental center.
The OP knows that, but he is looking for cheaper car-rental options.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by guv1976
The OP knows that, but he is looking for cheaper car-rental options.
That would certainly not be Hertz. Suggest OP check out the Avis forum and the corporate discount codes.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Can't argue with you on the SI Ferry. You could definitely look at a staying along the NJ Transit line and commuting in via train. Same goes for Westchester or southwestern CT. Take Amtrak with the kids down to DC and then rent a car in the DC area. Rates are usually VERY easy to find. Our intent isn't to say that you won't be able to drive in NYC, just that it's a waste of money to have a car while you're spending the whole day in the city.
One reason for renting a car is the flexibility to stop and look at things along the way. Also, I'm not the kind of guy who want to spend my whole vacation in big cities. I would rather prefer to stay in a more quiet location, and rather commute into the big cities to visit a few sights. That's what we've done in Europe. We stayed on the oustkirts of Paris and parked our rental a block from the Eiffel Tower. And parking in downtown Paris was cheaper than similar locations in Oslo or Stockholm.

As far as I can see, Amtrak NYC-DC for a family of six would be a minimum of $245, plus the cost and hassle of getting to and from the train stations at both ends. We could easily end up spending $350 or more to travel between the two cities. Even at the crazy JFK/EWR Hertz prices, I could rent a van for four days for the same amount of money. I would rather "waste" two days of car rental instead of taking the train.

I've actually considered staying somewhere along the NJ Transit Line or the Staten Island subway line, but I believe that a car parked at the SI ferry will be a more convenient, cheaper, and more scenic way for a family of 6 to get into the city.

How big is your family? And in what order do you plan to visit the various cities?

Ordinarily, it would be madness for a tourist to have a car in NYC, Washington, DC, and maybe even Toronto. Bus travel between NYC and Washington, DC, is frequent, and can be quite inexpensive if booked sufficiently far in advance. Take a look at https://us.megabus.com for just one example. Amtrak would be a little nicer, but more expensive. However, Amtrak fares permit free en-route stopovers of up to 24 hours, so if you also wanted to see Philadelphia and/or Baltimore, Amtrak might be worth considering.

If you need a car to drive between major cities, consider doing one-way, one-day car rentals.

For reasonably priced lodging near Manhattan, I would look at properties in Long Island City, Queens, or in Secaucus or Carlstadt, New Jersey. I've often stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Carlstadt, and taken the 20-minute bus ride into Manhattan. If you collect IHG Rewards points, that property is just 20,000 points/night (or $100 USD if you buy IHG points when IHG runs a 100% bonus sale).
If we would be looking at staying inside the major cities all of the time, I would agree with you. But, as I stated above, I would prefer to also visit some more quiet places outside of the major cities. I would only do two days for downtown NYC and Washington, and one day in Toronto. The rest would be in more remote locations. Three major cities would be enough, so Philadephia and Baltimore would get the axe. And a one-way NYC-Toronto would probably be even more expensive than a week at the regular NYC rates.
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
What prices are you seeing with Hertz? I see weekly EWR-EWR Avis minivan rates for $505 all in. If you pick up at Hampton Inn Staten Island, the price drops to $334. One way EWR-YYZ or Hampton Inn/SI-YYZ rentals are the same base weekly rate, $505 or $334 AI. The only difference with one ways to YYZ is that you pay USD$0.25 a mile... $250 for 1,000 miles.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:24 pm

I don't see mileage charges with regular retail rates, just a higher total cost. It's usually the flat rate corporate contracts that have a per mile fee on one-ways. We can't assume everyone in the general public has the same negotiated corporate agreement, so we should assume plain old undiscounted rate plans.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
What prices are you seeing with Hertz? I see weekly EWR-EWR Avis minivan rates for $505 all in. If you pick up at Hampton Inn Staten Island, the price drops to $334. One way EWR-YYZ or Hampton Inn/SI-YYZ rentals are the same base weekly rate, $505 or $334 AI. The only difference with one ways to YYZ is that you pay USD$0.25 a mile... $250 for 1,000 miles.
One-way EWR-YYZ, I can't get any prices at all. It's just sold out. But that wouldn't fit my plans anyway, as I stated above.

Right now, I can see 7-seater rates from $835. I don't know why you get as low as $505. I can't even get near to that with the CDP I'm using. But if I change to e.g. IAD, I get $554. It used to be lower for both airports.

With Budget, I can actually see 7-seaters at EWR for $279, so I guess that I will just have to forget about Hertz for this rental.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:21 am

One-way EWR-YYZ, I can't get any prices at all. It's just sold out. But that wouldn't fit my plans anyway, as I stated above.

Right now, I can see 7-seater rates from $835. I don't know why you get as low as $505. I can't even get near to that with the CDP I'm using. But if I change to e.g. IAD, I get $554. It used to be lower for both airports.

With Budget, I can actually see 7-seaters at EWR for $279, so I guess that I will just have to forget about Hertz for this rental.
Good for you for wanting to see the actual country and not just wanting to spend all your time in the big cities.

Have you considered flying in and out of IAD or BWI?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907
Good for you for wanting to see the actual country and not just wanting to spend all your time in the big cities.

Have you considered flying in and out of IAD or BWI?
IAD is a possibility, which would solve my problems. BWI probably not.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
What I'm thinking about is a family vacation. I'm just in the planning stages, but preliminary plans are NYC, D.C., Niagara Falls, and Toronto, and I would clearly need a car for such a journey. I would just spend a couple of days visiting Manhattan. Hotels on the island are too expensive, so I figured out that the cheapest way of visiting for a family would be to rent a car and get a hotel within an hours drive south of the Staten Island Ferry. Parking at the SI terminal is just $8 for a whole day, which is about double of what I pay for a day in my residential area of a Swedish village of 6,000 people, or the same price as two hours parking in downtown of the nearest Swedish city, so $8 for a whole day in one of the biggest cities in the world is a bargain. (I'm actually from Norway, and the last time I was in downtown Oslo I parked a car for six hours and it cost me about $60.) The SI ferry is probably also the most scenic journey into Manhattan. So, the most convenient option for me would be to fly into EWR (or JFK), rent a car from Hertz, and drive to a hotel perhaps half an hour south of EWR. I found several good options at good prices in that area. But the problem, as I explained, is that the prices I get for Hertz for EWR/JFK are twice as expensive as other U.S. airports.

Edited to add that I've driven a car in downtown Moscow, St. Petersburg, Paris, Amsterdam, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, and other cities with major traffic problems, so traffic jams don't really scare me. And, of course, my own home town in Sweden, which is the worst of them all.
Just to be aware, if you're looking at hotels south of Newark, and the plan is driving from there to the SI Ferry terminal, and then taking the ferry in, you're looking at probably two hours each way between your hotel and Manhattan, and then you've got to get wherever you're going IN Manhattan. The toll for that drive is going to be $10-15 depending on time of day, although you only pay it one way (from NJ to Staten Island).
ijgordon likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Just to be aware, if you're looking at hotels south of Newark, and the plan is driving from there to the SI Ferry terminal, and then taking the ferry in, you're looking at probably two hours each way between your hotel and Manhattan, and then you've got to get wherever you're going IN Manhattan. The toll for that drive is going to be $10-15 depending on time of day, although you only pay it one way (from NJ to Staten Island).
The tolls on the Port Authority's trans-Hudson crossings only vary by time of day if one is using a personal E-Z Pass transponder. If one pays cash the rates do not change by time of day. If one uses a rental-car company's transponder, the renter will be charged the the full cash rate, even when the transponder provider receives a time-of-day discount.

But I agree with your general point that one should not plan on taking the Staten Island Ferry to and from Manhattan if one is staying in NJ.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When the Holiday Inn Staten Island West has award nights available, they go for 15,000 IHG Rewards points per room per night. Now through May 1, IHG is offering an 80% bonus on points purchases, so the OP should be able to get an award-night room for about $83 USD by buying points now. But the OP would first need to ensure that award-night rooms (I assume he'd need two) were available for his intended dates of stay.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
When the Holiday Inn Staten Island West has award nights available, they go for 15,000 IHG Rewards points per room per night. Now through May 1, IHG is offering an 80% bonus on points purchases, so the OP should be able to get an award-night room for about $83 USD by buying points now. But the OP would first need to ensure that award-night rooms (I assume he'd need two) were available for his intended dates of stay.
That does look like a better option than staying in NJ. FYI, it's a HI Express, not a HI, but the point still holds.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Well, I was looking at several different hotels. Some of them were in Rahway, and according to Google it's a 29 minutes drive to the ferry. That's the only part of the journey which would be a "hassle." The ferry itself would be a part of seeing the city. According to what I've heard, people spend hours waiting to get a boat to the Statue of Liberty, and we would just skip that part. The view from the ferry would be good enough for us.

If I'm staying in NJ and plan to visit Manhattan twice, I'll need to pay that toll twice. But if I fly into EWR, stay in a SI hotel and plan to spend two days exploring areas to the west or south of the city, I will have to pay the toll three times to get to the hotel, so that toll is actually a factor (although tiny) in favor of staying in NJ.

But I agree with your general point that one should not plan on taking the Staten Island Ferry to and from Manhattan if one is staying in NJ.
How would you travel into Manhattan? As far as I can see, six people round-trip from e.g. Rahway-NY Penn on NJ Transit would cost $91.4 plus parking at the station, while the SI Ferry would be $23 (parking and toll), and the ferry would be far more scenic.

Thanks, I'll consider it. But the HI SI will require two rooms, and it seems to me that I can probably get a hotel with one room for the entire family at a better rate and get some frequent flyer miles instead. I can get up to 1018 SAS Eurobonus miles per $100 when booking at Hotels.com. I can e.g. see the Best Western Riverview in Rahway at $121 per night including breakfast, which would net us 1232 miles per night. According to Google, it's a 7 minute drive longer than the HI SI.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:51 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
This thread seems to be about NYC in general - hotels and rental cars. I'll move this over to the NYC thread. (and updated title)

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
FlyinHawaiian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.