Wiki Posts
Search

JFK to Penn Station

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
JFK to Penn Station

Flying LHR-JFK on BA 177 next month, arriving 4pm. Not a route I ever fly, but there were no Avios seats into IAD. Connecting flights JFK-IAD or DCA are all ruinously costly, so am thinking of taking the train. With a 4pm scheduled arrival, is it realistic to book a 6.45pm train ex Penn Station?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:41 am

Yes, no problem at all. In fact, you could probably do an earlier train (approx 18:00) whilst still being safe, assuming you are not collecting baggage.

JFK to AirTrain to LIRR into Penn is the easiest/quickest/best value route into Penn from JFK. Takes 15mins on the AirTrain, then 20-22 minutes on the LIRR from Jamaica to Penn.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
1. What is your nationality? If U.S., do you have Global Entry?

2. Are you checking any baggage?

You should be able to make it from your terminal to Penn Station within one hour of leaving Immigration and Customs, if you take the AirTrain to Jamaica, and a Manhattan-bound Long Island Rail Road train from Jamaica to Penn Station. Taking the "E" subway from Jamaica to Penn Station would be a little cheaper, but would add about 20 minutes to the total travel time.

No "MileSAAver" award seats available JFK-WAS with AA miles or BA Avios?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Also, take a look at AA & DL for LGA-DCA as those are Shuttle routes. Sometimes great pricing, sometimes not. The time saving of avoiding IAD on a 30-40 minute flight makes the Uber from JFK to LGA well worth it.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
1 British, G class visa
2 Most likely no checked bags

This trip just about exhausts my Avios for now (thanks to 3 kids...) so award flights not an option
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by damsel
1 British, G class visa
2 Most likely no checked bags

This trip just about exhausts my Avios for now (thanks to 3 kids...) so award flights not an option
You know it's only 4000/4500 Avios for a oneway in economy on JFK-WAS right? Even if you don't have those the flights can be super cheap. Even FC on AA from JFK-DCA on a 738 was about $120 when I booked it last year a few months out, IIRC Y was about $70. (AA did cancel my flight and the equivalent on a DL CR9 was about double that, ho hum)

Although JFK-Washington on the train isn't the worst journey in the world flying is a hell of a lot easier especially given DCA's convenience. Penn Station will be a zoo at the time you're flying through if it's midweek.
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by damsel
Flying LHR-JFK on BA 177 next month, arriving 4pm. Not a route I ever fly, but there were no Avios seats into IAD. Connecting flights JFK-IAD or DCA are all ruinously costly, so am thinking of taking the train. With a 4pm scheduled arrival, is it realistic to book a 6.45pm train ex Penn Station?
That is hit or miss.

When I arrived at JFK from LHR yesterday at 2:45pm at Terminal 4 (Delta), the posted wait time for non-US citizens was 95 minutes. Then you take the Airtrain to Jamaica (about a 10-15 minute ride) and then take the LIRR train (commuter rail) to Penn Station (20-25 minutes). On the safe side, what about the train to DC that leaves Penn one hour later?

Last edited by Analise; Mar 28, 2019 at 6:07 am
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser
You know it's only 4000/4500 Avios for a oneway in economy on JFK-WAS right? Even if you don't have those the flights can be super cheap. Even FC on AA from JFK-DCA on a 738 was about $120 when I booked it last year a few months out, IIRC Y was about $70. (AA did cancel my flight and the equivalent on a DL CR9 was about double that, ho hum)

Although JFK-Washington on the train isn't the worst journey in the world flying is a hell of a lot easier especially given DCA's convenience. Penn Station will be a zoo at the time you're flying through if it's midweek.
Isn't the 4.5k number a little old? I believe that's what it used to be, but BA has since increased the amount for AA, AS, and 2E (TAM) to 7.5k minimum, regardless of distance. See this post in the BA forum with the charts: Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Not that that obviates the primary point you were making; just the numbers are a little off.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Isn't the 4.5k number a little old? I believe that's what it used to be, but BA has since increased the amount for AA, AS, and 2E (TAM) to 7.5k minimum, regardless of distance. See this post in the BA forum with the charts: Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Not that that obviates the primary point you were making; just the numbers are a little off.
+1.

BAEC eliminated Band 1 redemptions in North America a while ago. The minimum is now 7,500 Avios one-way for travel on AA. And, of course, there is no "off peak" for BAEC redemptions on AA.

For a NYC-WAS one-way nonstop in Economy, AA would charge 7,500 AAdvantage miles for a "MileSAAver" seat, and BA would charge 7,500 Avios for the same flight.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Isn't the 4.5k number a little old?
Originally Posted by guv1976
BAEC eliminated Band 1 redemptions in North America a while ago. The minimum is now 7,500 Avios one-way for travel on AA.
Oops, that'll teach me for Googling and trusting The Points Guy instead of pulling things up on my BAEC account. Apologies...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.