Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Family stay at Sheraton Times Square or Residence Inn midtown east?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:47 am
bhp
Original Poster

We are family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids), will be staying 2 nights post cruise from Cape Liberty Cruise port. I have one Cat 5 cert to use so 2 available options are Sheraton Times Square and Residence Inn Manhattan Midtown East. Sheraton has a $25 resort fee but probably a better location as the kids will love walking around Times Square. RI will have free breakfast but we'll probably sample NYC food on our own. We could always use UBER to get around. Planning to do some free things like Staten Island ferry. Any suggestions to which hotel to choose?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by bhp
as the kids will love walking around Times Square.

. We could always use UBER to get around. Planning to do some free things like Staten Island ferry.
How old are your kids? TS is not really a place to walk around. The 'charming' people dressed up as cartoon characters will soon cease to be so as the start to stick their hands out for tips for every photo you want with them. TS was summed up for me on one visit by a 5 year old who screamed 'mommy Elmo smells' ...

SI ferry is indeed free. Bit if you think it's a good way to get a close up view of the Statue of Liberty you'll be disappointed. Stick your arm out and hold up your thumb and that is about the size of the statue you'll see. Battery Park has a better view. Sorry for the reality check but I see so many disappointed people who believed the myths about the great views of the statue from the ferry. You will get great views of the lower Manhattan skyline though.

Many museums offer free admission to children even if adults have to pay and many also have 'free nights' but can get busy.

There are numerous websites that list 'free things to do in NYC' so have a look at some of those (but some can be ropey - get a free meal by hoovering up the food samples if stores - for example.. Places like the Highline, Central Park and Brooklyn Bridge are good for long walks and views.

No real need for uber the bus and subway are more than adequate to get around. Day passes are very good value.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:36 am

Stand on the lower deck aft or rear of the Staten Island Ferry and watch the city grow in front of you as the boat pulls further away. Way better than pushing and shoving done to look that the SOL and the crowd that rushes the right side when all of those on the left side realize the Statue is on the other side of the boat and they are staring at Governors Island.

If you get the older design boat like the Molinari you can stand outside on the lower deck, well you can stand outside on a lot more decks on that type of boat but it is just a roll of the dice what class of boat you get.

Uber will take longer than subway which will get you all the places you want to go. Child price for MTA local bus/subway is by height not age. 44 inches tall and under ride free, child ducks under the turnstile. Even if paying for children only one metrocard ($1 fee for new one) is needed 4 fares is the max that can have transfer saved to it. (You can swipe as many people in as money on the card but the card overwrites transfer information on the 5th swipe).
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does the RI do evening receptions on the nights you're staying? To pay the $50 resort fees and lose not only the free breakfasts but also free food in the evening sounds like the Sheraton effectively would cost your family a lot more, plus the kitchens in RIs can be handy for leftovers, popcorn, soft drinks and other snacks.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:12 pm
bhp
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, we only have Gold Marriott so probably free wifi. The Sheraton does have a closer walk to TS and some museums and it's not exactly right in TS so it might be the choice. There's also a subway station at the entrance. I've been to Manhattan without kids so it's their first time.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:34 pm

I have booked the RI for Memorial Day weekend, so no telling how that will work out. Have not stayed there, but have stayed at Sheraton a number of times. Nothing in particular draws me back to the Sheraton other than quick access to the E train to get from/to LGA. The RI is discussed a little bit in the NYC master thread.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
How old are your kids? TS is not really a place to walk around. The 'charming' people dressed up as cartoon characters will soon cease to be so as the start to stick their hands out for tips for every photo you want with them. TS was summed up for me on one visit by a 5 year old who screamed 'mommy Elmo smells' ....
It is easy to avoid the areas where they are allowed to work.

If you want a photo with smelly Elmo (I've never gotten close enough to sniff ) then yes, they will expect a tip.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:10 am

With children the best option is Sheraton Times Square
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:51 am

The Sheraton is a slightly better location for tourists as it has quicker access to more subway lines and is a shorter walk to theaters, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, etc. But the RI is perfectly fine, too. Both have direct subway connections to Battery Park and the SI Ferry. And the immediate area around the Sheraton is VERY touristy (lots of overpriced mediocre tourist restaurants and touts trying to sell you tickets for double-decker buses), while the RI is more strictly a business area bordering a residential area.

If your kids are tall enough that you have to pay for the subway, using Uber/Lyft/Juno/Via might be preferable as it might not be significantly more expensive and you'll get to see more than if you're in a dark subway tunnel. Note that Juno (an Uber clone not available in most US cities) is often a little cheaper than Uber/Lyft and the drivers get a bigger cut of the fare so there are tons of drivers using it. PM if you need a referral. But definitely use the subway at least once as it's part of the experience of visiting the city and if there is a subway going where you want to go, it's usually faster than a car in midtown except late at night or on weekends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.