What to do in New York (JFK) for day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do in New York (JFK) for day

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:19 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Iamnotlost
Did you use the one at JFK or is there somewhere else? The bag got heavier as the day progressed even without me buying anything to put in it......
I used the one in T8 at JFK. It was surprisingly convenient, and they were thorough in making sure my bag was padlocked etc.

M
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
Thanks @msm2000uk. I don't remember finding that when I was looking (just the T4 one). I'll remember that for the future as it would transform the whole experience.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Eat pizza, not from a fancy place but rather a family run place, that at times can look run down.
Redhead, corky and trooper like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Fast Track @ JFK

Fast Track @ JFK will expedite your rtn. to JFK.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Skip Midtown.
Try this:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._New_York.html
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:04 am

If this is the weekend Saturday/Sunday, Long Island Rail Road is cheaper, you need a "City Ticket" for $4.25 each way.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Whatever you do, get a firm idea of the transportation options into and out of the city. For me, flying into or out of JFK presents the easy option of getting into Manhattan by the AirTrain/LIRR that others have suggested. Here's a blog post with accompanying pictures that should give you a visual guide to getting to and from Manhattan using this system: https://stuffedsuitcase.com/jfk-manh...airport-train/. If you decide to work your way over to Brooklyn, no need to retrace your steps to Penn Station and take the LIRR because there are multiple ways to get back to JFK from Brooklyn: https://www.rome2rio.com/s/New-York-...antic-Terminal.

I took the LIRR/AirTrain route back to JFK yesterday after spending the night in Manhattan Sunday following a BA flight from LHR. I left Penn Station on the LIRR at 2:11 p.m. cleared security (I have TSA Precheck), and was sitting in one of the Admirals' Lounges at Terminal 8 by 3:40 p.m. My flight was at 4:35 p.m.

The MTA does not make it easy to get an app in place of a physical Metrocard that you'll need for the AirTrain either exiting or entering at Jamaica Station, but the MTA eTix app will allow you to purchase a ticket for the LIRR without needing to stop at a kiosk inside Penn Station. No matter how you buy your ticket, have it available--the conductors definitely check tickets whether paper or electronic.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by APUBleed
If you like aviation, go to the air and space museum and visit the BA Concorde!

If you're on a Matinee day (typically Wednesday, Saturday or Sunday) see a Broadway show.

Otherwise, any of the other suggestions in this thread. There is so much to do in NYC!
If so use the TKTS counter in downtown NY (Seaport) as the lines are usually very short compared to Times Square

There is a TKTS app so you could see what is playing.

And while downtown isn't the biggest tourist attraction you can visits Wall Street, take the Staten Island Ferry (free) or go to the statue of liberty.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:23 pm

If you are a book person, Strand Bookstore (828 Broadway at 12th) is worth a visit. They are very good about arranging shipping if your purchases excess the available room in your luggage.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
Ex New Yaaaaaawwwwwwker here.

Step 1 Ditch the bag.
Step 2 Take the Airtrain to Jamaica and take the LIRR to Penn Station. Yes its more money but faster and bettererer. And yes I just made up that word. It means better than better.
Step 3 Pick 3 things you want to do/see. Perform your research ahead of time. If it's bad/cold weather take subway/bus/cab/uber. Between close things walk as it's faster. Take snack breaks in between to sample great NYC food.
Step 4 Get food to go. Bring it back to JFK with you.
Step 5 Take LIRR back to Jamaica and then the Airtrain
Step 6 Enjoy your next flight
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:19 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) involves a minimum of transit changes: AirTrain to Jamaica, E train to 5th Ave. Besides Modern Art, they show 2-3 movies/day (included with admission)--nice for killing time [better than 10 hours in an airport lounge.]
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 4:19 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Hi, I have an award trip soon. Flying CPH-LHR-EWR-YUL-SJO-GUA.
I land at 21.00 in EWR and next flight is at 06.00 day after.

​​​​​​Is there any point to explore NY during this time at night? Never been to NY or should I just go to an hotel? If I manage to sleep some in polaris during LHR-EWR I should have some energy.

Would also like to take tips for Montreal where I will have 9 hours and also 23 hrs in San Jose (CR).
Old Dec 16, 2022, 6:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by davvelavve

​​​​​​Is there any point to explore NY during this time at night? Never been to NY or should I just go to an hotel? If I manage to sleep some in polaris during LHR-EWR I should have some energy.

Would also like to take tips for Montreal where I will have 9 hours and also 23 hrs in San Jose (CR).
After immigration, customs getting to the hotel it would be 11pm (not knowing if you have global entry, foreign National without GE, checked luggage, where the hotel is… is is a rough guess)and with you getting to the airport at 4am ish for your 5’6am flight you can go into the city by Uber/ Cab but very little time left and what is still open at that time. And why would you have a hotel if you don’t use it
Everything is possible but does it make sense
davvelavve likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by davvelavve

That sounds like a very painful itinerary. I'd check for better options. Otherwise - stay at a EWR hotel. Depressing but at least you'll get some sleep. Getting up early coming from CPH should not be difficult.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 12:22 am

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by erik123
That sounds like a very painful itinerary. I'd check for better options. Otherwise - stay at a EWR hotel. Depressing but at least you'll get some sleep. Getting up early coming from CPH should not be difficult.
Probably a painful itinerary but bang for the buck. YUL-SJO have lie flat (b789) aswell so there I can get some sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.