FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   Arrival lounge in JFK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1950311-arrival-lounge-jfk.html)

Rajenmisra Jan 10, 2019 11:34 am

Arrival lounge in JFK

I am flying johannesberg to JFK business class . 14 hr flight .arrive 640 am
Is there a star alliance or lounge key arrival lounge to take a shower as hotel check in only 1400

Yoshi212 Jan 10, 2019 12:39 pm

There is not. Lounges are all airside which you won't have access to without a boarding pass. Some gyms do sell day passes and have shower facilities.

Rajenmisra Jan 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Thank you . That is such a disapointment. Johannesberg OR Tambo in southafrica ( third world ) even has arrival lounge with full shower facility .

Mwenenzi Jan 10, 2019 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Rajenmisra (Post 30639544)
Thank you. That is such a disappointment. Johannesburg OR Tambo in South Africa (third world) even has arrival lounge with full shower facility.

Arrival lounges are not the norm. None in Australia for example.

Yoshi212 Jan 10, 2019 10:11 pm

I think it has a lot to do with how airports are setup. JFK has several terminals acting independently with international flights focused in Terminals 1,4,7 & 8. Costs of operating a lounge like that where there could be hours of downtime between flights=wasted wage hours, it's not hard to see why economically they're not there.
Rationally they make complete sense to me and I enjoy using them. I would fly to Londond, Berlin & Stockholm connecting in ZRH & MUC mostly to allow for a quick shower to land fresh after just a short final hop.
Your hotel may be able to arrange an earlier check-in at a cost.

Originally Posted by Rajenmisra (Post 30639544)
Thank you . That is such a disapointment. Johannesberg OR Tambo in southafrica ( third world ) even has arrival lounge with full shower facility .

beckoa Jan 11, 2019 11:45 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk @Rajenmisra. Please follow the redirect as we relocate your query.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

UKtravelbear Jan 12, 2019 9:24 pm

South Africa is not ‘third world’.

airlines provide arrivals lounges where they perceive them adding value to their customers and it is easier to provide a lounge where there is a bank of international flights in a relatively short space of time than if flights arrive with long gaps between them.

Commercial operators do the same calculations but based on making a profit. If a lounge is landslide (which some are) the they can offer a shower to both arriving and departing passengers.

im not sure that star has enough flights into JFK to justify one and that it’s member airlines would be willing to pay for.

I would ask your hotel what the cost of getting your room from say 9am would be. Some hotels do offer a room early in return for payment which can be quite reasonable compared to booking the room from the night before which I know some people do if they know they are arriving early in the day (just remember to tell them so they don’t mark you as a no show and cancel the booking!