Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Arr JFK 11am - Dept 10pm - What to do?

Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

I will be arriving on a flight into JFK T1 at 11am. My connection is not until 10pm from T7.

Does anyone have any suggestions what to do instead of just stilling around the airport?

I am travelling Hand-Baggage Only.

I realise I could get a day room in a local hotel but do you have any better options?

Any suggestions welcomed
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
That is plenty of time to head into Manhattan and have a spin around. It takes about an hour for you to ride the AirTrain to connect with the subway or Long Island Railroad into the city. I would not book tickets for anything as plans can always unravel. But if you got into Manhattan by 1230pm or so you could:
  • Go up the Top of the Rock in Rockefeller Center for a view of the city
  • Take the subway down to South Ferry and ride the Staten Island ferry across the harbor and back
  • Visit the Museum of Natural History, the Museum of Modern Art, the Met or the Guggenheim
  • Visit the 9/11 Memorial (free) or the below-ground 9/11 Museum (for a fee)
  • See Times Square if you wish, or Central Park, or Fifth Avenue, or Wall Street
  • Have a tour of the United Nations or a walk through Greenwich Village
  • Eat at a New York deli, an Irish pub, or a Chinatown dim sum place
Any two or three of the above are possible with your time available. You ought to be back on a train out to JFK by 630p or so; you'd have 6+ hours. Let us know if you need help finding any of the above.
awayIgo likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:09 pm

Also, plenty of time for a good meal (and eating on the early side will make it easier to get a seat). NYC has every cuisine on the planet somewhere. You don't say when you're traveling but Jan 21 - Feb 8 is Restaurant Week. https://www.nycgo.com/restaurant-week

Last edited by cbastian; Jan 8, 2019 at 12:11 pm Reason: Additional detail
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
Let us know if you need help finding any of the above.
I think s/he will need help figuring out what to do with the hand baggage, assuming it's more than a "personal item" carry-on.
Short of checking it with the bell staff at any random hotel (not sure if best to pretend you're checking in later or be honest and slip the guy $10-20), I'm not sure what the options are exactly.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There are plenty of places that will store bags probably for cheaper than a bell hop tip.

A quick google came up with several alternatives such as this https://luggagehero.com/newyork/

I have no affiliation it was just the first listing on google and I have never used such a facility myself so can't vouch for any of them. Also note the variation in opening hours for each storage site.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think s/he will need help figuring out what to do with the hand baggage, assuming it's more than a "personal item" carry-on.
Short of checking it with the bell staff at any random hotel (not sure if best to pretend you're checking in later or be honest and slip the guy $10-20), I'm not sure what the options are exactly.
The wiki in this older thread listed places compiled by Cordelli that would store luggage:
The definitive "Where can I leave my bags in NYC?" thread

Schwartz Travel (listed in the wiki) is still in business in Manhattan.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The wiki in this older thread listed places compiled by Cordelli that would store luggage:
The definitive "Where can I leave my bags in NYC?" thread

Schwartz Travel (listed in the wiki) is still in business in Manhattan.
The OP might find this site to be helpful:

https://vertoe.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.