Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Flying to Canada through EWR - Short layover - Do I clear customs in Newark?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I searched the forum and can't find any posts about this. I'm flying to Canada through Newark. I have a short layover. Am I going to have an issue getting through customs? Is Canada customs in Newark? Will my transit through Newark be the same as any other domestic itinerary?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Assuming you are flying US domestic to Newark, it's the same as any other flight. Canadian customs/immigration will be at your Canadian point of entry.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Customs for flights from the US to Canada are cleared in Canada.
Customs for flights arriving in the US are cleared in the US. There is no "in transit" in the US. You arrive, you go through Immigration and Customs.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by ou81two
I searched the forum and can't find any posts about this. I'm flying to Canada through Newark. I have a short layover. Am I going to have an issue getting through customs? Is Canada customs in Newark? Will my transit through Newark be the same as any other domestic itinerary?
I assume you're flying (US location)-EWR-(Canadian location). If that's the correct assumption, then your change in EWR will be just like a US-EWR-US connection. You'll do Canadian immigration and customs when you arrive in Canada. If you're flying Canada-EWR-US location, then you'd do US customs and immigration in Canada, so your arrival and connection at EWR would still be like a US-EWR-US connection.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:09 am

There are two possible scenarios:
  1. US-EWR-Canada: no immigration/customs in the US; clear Canadian immigration/customs on arrival Canada.
  2. Third country-EWR-Canada: clear US immigration/customs on arrival at EWR; clear Canadian immigration/customs on arrival in Canada.
Either way, you always clear Canadian immigration/customs upon arrival in Canada. Note that when you check in for your flight, the airline will likely want to see your passport.

As cestmoi123 said, if you're flying from Canada to EWR, you will usually preclear US customs/immigration in Canada before boarding, but I don't think any foreign governments have customs preclearance at US airports. Here's a list of the airports in Canada (and a few other countries) that have US customs/immigration preclearance:

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...s/preclearance
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:07 am

If I am flying from Canada to EWR to Tokyo allt thoughUnited, do I have to recheck bags in EWR? Just wondering since I have a 1hr27 min layover. I wasn't planning on checking bags but wondering if I still have the option.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by leafs123
If I am flying from Canada to EWR to Tokyo allt thoughUnited, do I have to recheck bags in EWR? Just wondering since I have a 1hr27 min layover. I wasn't planning on checking bags but wondering if I still have the option.
Your checked bags will be transferred straight on to your Tokyo flight.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Note the transit at EWR may (and likely) will require a terminal change on the outbound and return.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by leafs123
Assuming you are flying to EWR from one of Canadian airports with US CBP preclearance, then you will not have to recheck bags at EWR. If you are arriving at EWR directly from another Canadian airport (if UA even flies to any other Canadian airports...) then you will have to clear customs and recheck bags at EWR.

Note that if you are flying back through EWR to Canada from Tokyo, you WILL have to clear US customs and recheck bags at EWR on that trip.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bankops
Customs for flights arriving in the US are cleared in the US. There is no "in transit" in the US. You arrive, you go through Immigration and Customs.
This is incorrect.

Most Canada-to-US flights undergo US preclearance at their Canadian departure point. Passengers arriving on those flights from Canada are treated as standard domestic arrivals.

As a matter of information, CBP publishes a list of Pre-Clearance ports in Canada, the Carribean, Ireland, and UAE:

Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by themicah
Assuming you are flying to EWR from one of Canadian airports with US CBP preclearance, then you will not have to recheck bags at EWR. If you are arriving at EWR directly from another Canadian airport (if UA even flies to any other Canadian airports...) then you will have to clear customs and recheck bags at EWR.

Note that if you are flying back through EWR to Canada from Tokyo, you WILL have to clear US customs and recheck bags at EWR on that trip.
For the person asking the question... you don't recheck your bags after clearing US customs in Newark. They will already be tagged by United for their final destination so all you have to do is hand them back over to United after carrying them through the exit of customs. There's a bag drop right there.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
For the person asking the question... you don't recheck your bags after clearing US customs in Newark. They will already be tagged by United for their final destination so all you have to do is hand them back over to United after carrying them through the exit of customs. There's a bag drop right there.
I think the confusion arises from the word "recheck" being interpreted differently by different people. The passenger will need to physically intervene to get the bag moved from EWR to the final destination (by picking it up at the carousel and then dropping it off with UA again), even if the bag tag already lists the correct airport code. In some countries one does not see the bag until after the last flight hence the pick up/drop off gets thought of as a recheck even if the technical term is something else.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
This is incorrect.

Most Canada-to-US flights undergo US preclearance at their Canadian departure point. Passengers arriving on those flights from Canada are treated as standard domestic arrivals.

As a matter of information, CBP publishes a list of Pre-Clearance ports in Canada, the Carribean, Ireland, and UAE:

Actually correct.

The question was not from Canada to the US, but from EWR to Canada. All canadian destinations from EWR have preclearance and thus my statements are correct.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by bankops
Actually correct.

The question was not from Canada to the US, but from EWR to Canada. All canadian destinations from EWR have preclearance and thus my statements are correct.
There isn't any Canadian pre-clearance for immigration and customs. They're all done at the Canada point of entry.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
There isn't any Canadian pre-clearance for immigration and customs. They're all done at the Canada point of entry.
Sigh.

That would be the reason I said this in a previous post:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.