Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Yankees game, NYC tourist (Boston native)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Daughter (28) and husband (30) going to Yankees-Red Sox game August 2019. She knows nothing about NYC hotels/locations. Boston yes, NYC not at all. I am no help, I know nothing.

August 2019. Yankees game. Love to walk. Sightseeing. Under 350 p/n. Preferably under 300. Suggestions?? In the "city". Like to be able to easily get to game via subway. As luxurious as one can get on a budget. Flying into LGA if that matters. Seriously, have no idea.

Thanks!

Last edited by stan1162; Oct 22, 2018 at 2:32 pm Reason: info
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Look at hotels near Grand Central. You'll see Club Quarters, the Hyatt, a Westin, and lots more. At Grand Central, they can take the 4 train directly to Yankee Stadium. It's very easy.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
What else do they like to do? How many days/nights?
Food Centric? Museums? Concerts/Theater?

While getting around the city to as a tourist can be part of the fun it's also good to make things easy to get to from other destinations. Being along the 4 train, or the 6 to easily get to the 4, is a good idea. The Grand Central hotles, Gramercy and Greenwich/East Village hotels all fall into that line.

If they plan to wear jerseys to the game...put them on at the park.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grand Central area is certainly a good recommendation, but you could also consider midtown west / Times Square "north" area and Columbus Circle, where you can also access the D train for direct access to Yankee Stadium and are closer to Central Park which is great in the summer. These areas are probably incrementally more "touristy" but it sounds like that should be considered a good thing. Maybe check out the Hudson hotel, which is near Columbus Circle and kind of "hip" for that age group. Usually fairly affordable, although the base level rooms are very small (like a cruise ship) so they might want to book a category or two higher.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Loose itinerary

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
What else do they like to do? How many days/nights?
Food Centric? Museums? Concerts/Theater?

While getting around the city to as a tourist can be part of the fun it's also good to make things easy to get to from other destinations. Being along the 4 train, or the 6 to easily get to the 4, is a good idea. The Grand Central hotles, Gramercy and Greenwich/East Village hotels all fall into that line.

If they plan to wear jerseys to the game...put them on at the park.

They will be there 3 nights. Won't be going to any shows. Museums, probably. Food, nothing fancy, just good, are pretty adventures. Are pretty seasoned travelers. Taken public transport here in the states, and all over Europe. Pretty much a weekend in NY, with a baseball game.
Thanks for the contributions so far!

J.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:04 am

The 4 and the D both stop at Yankee Stadium as well as MetroNorth Commuter Rail Road from Grand Central Terminal.
If this is a weekday game, the D will stop starting 90 minutes before game time even though it shows as a local stop and not express stop when the D is not stopping when there isn't a game .
After the game, extra trains are added to all three services.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:53 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Perfectly fine to wear your Sox colors from your hotel to the game and back. Just keep your wits about you and don't get drunk and crazy and step away from anyone else who is drunk/crazy
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:04 am

So in terms of convenient hotel areas:

Grand Central (42nd and Lex) -- 4 train to Yankee Stadium, not as tourist-focused as other areas, but plenty of tourist infrastructure and easy accessibility to other areas. 7 train from Grand Central connects to LGA Q70 bus and will also take you to any number of immigrant neighborhoods in Queens filled with incredible food for your adventurous eaters.

Midtown North -- areas around 7th Ave (@53rd St) stop on the D train. More tourist-focused area with a wide variety of hotels, but right in between Central Park and Times Square, which are both areas most tourists will want to visit. E train connects to LGA Q70 bus IMO the food is more interesting along 9th and 10th Aves on the west side than farther east.

Rockefeller Center -- areas around the 47th-50th (@6th Ave) stop on the D train. Very centrally located, easy walk to east or west side, not far from Central Park or Times Square. F train connects to LGA Q70 bus.

Bryant Park -- areas around the 42nd (@6th Ave) stop on the D train. Also centrally located, a little farther from Central Park but close to everything else. F train to LGA Q70 bus plus 7 train out to those fun neighborhoods in Queens.

Herald Square -- areas around the 34th (@6th Ave) stop on the D train. This area is mainly a mid-brow shopping and commuter hub district so it's not as interesting in and of itself, but the hotels can be a little cheaper than the other areas and it's super accessible to all parts of the city. F train to LGA Q70 again.

As noted above there's also Columbus Circle -- area around the 59th (@8th AVe) stop on the D train. This is right by Central Park at the nexus of Midtown and the Upper West Side. A great area to stay in with a good variety of hotels. The one thing it lacks is an easy subway connection to the the Q70 bus. You either need to switch trains or take a train up to 125th for the M60 bus, which isn't as efficient as the Q70.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Perfectly fine to wear your Sox colors from your hotel to the game and back. Just keep your wits about you and don't get drunk and crazy and step away from anyone else who is drunk/crazy
Do this at Yankee Stadium and lots of teasing will happen, some of it not fun.
I'm guessing Boston fans would do this to Yankee fans at Fenway.

I can tell you one thing for a fact, it will be a loud night at the ballpark. Disclaimer - I haven't attended a Yankee/Boston in years due to this.

dh
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I'm going to disagree with some of the advice here. While your daughter and her husband will certainly want to take the subway to the game, it absolutely is not essential to stay near the D or 4 train. NYC is incredibly easy to get around. They should stay wherever it suits them -- based on price, location relative to other attractions, etc. -- rather than convenience to the D or 4 train. Should it turn out they choose a hotel not convenient to the D or the 4, at worst they will need to make a single transfer on the subway to get to the D or the 4. And for what it's worth, I find the area around Grand Central a dreadful area in which to stay as a tourist. I would much rather be at a downtown location (especially if I were 28 or 30).

Were a tourist traveling to Boston to attend a Sox game, I wouldn't discourage them from staying in Cambridge just because they'd have to change at Park Street for the Green Line.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:25 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Do this at Yankee Stadium and lots of teasing will happen, some of it not fun.
I'm guessing Boston fans would do this to Yankee fans at Fenway.

I can tell you one thing for a fact, it will be a loud night at the ballpark. Disclaimer - I haven't attended a Yankee/Boston in years due to this.

dh
Well, this is kind of the key part here. Put your toe in the water by going and not wearing opposing gear if you don't want to jump right back in.

I've been to Yankee Stadium in my Sox gear twice in the past 4-5 years, and I have been in Manhattan in Sox gear dozens of times since then, and the teasing has always been good natured.

I've been to at least 4 Yankee games at Fenway each of the past 10 years and I always mingle and joke with the Yankee fans there. I have seen zero incidents at or outside Fenway in all of that time.

Avoiding drunk and angry people is always good advice no matter the circumstances.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:02 am

Oy Vey, Fuhgeddaboudit youse will be fine in your gear but youse will get some ribbing, its dah Bronx ya know.

Proud New Yawker and Yankee fan, my sox off to Boston this year but I will leave you with this.

A first grade teacher explains to her class that she is a Boston Red Sox fan. She asks her students to raise their hands if they were Red Sox fans, too. Not really knowing what a Red Sox fan was, but wanting to be like their teacher, hands explode into the air like flashy fireworks. There is, however, one exception. A girl named Lucy has not gone along with the crowd. The teacher asks her why she has decided to be different. "Because I'm not a Red Sox fan." "Then," asks the teacher, "what are you?" "Why I'm proud to be a Yankees fan.", boasts the little girl. The teacher is a little perturbed now, her face slightly red. She asks Lucy why she is a Yankees fan. "Well, My Dad and Mom are Yankees fans, and I'm a Yankees fan, too!" The teacher is now angry. "That's no reason," she says loudly. "What if your mom was a moron, and your dad was a moron, What would you be then?" A pause, and a smile. "Then," says Lucy, "I'd be a Red Sox fan."
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Easier said than done at these specific games. Subway series, Sox and Braves games are always big ones for Yankees fans and NYers in general.

Originally Posted by Out of my Element

Avoiding drunk and angry people is always good advice no matter the circumstances.
I have been cursed at, had beer thrown at me and been told to get the f*ck out of a cab while in Boston wearing Yankees garb.

9 times out of 10 the OP’s kids could go to the game and have a blast without a single incident but that 10th time can be brutal and also easily avoidable.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I have been cursed at, had beer thrown at me and been told to get the f*ck out of a cab while in Boston wearing Yankees garb.
By way of credentials: I grew up in Boston and spent my youth in the bleachers at Fenway chanting "Reggie Sucks" (while Reggie was helping the Yankees win two World Series to the Red Sox's zero; I was in attendance at Fenway, just shy of my 13th birthday, when Billy Martin pulled Reggie out of right field mid inning, which led to a shouting match in the dugout). I have lived most of my adult life in NYC, and the only thing that has changed for me is that, now that the Sox have become winners, I now get more pleasure out of the Yankees (and Giants and Jets) losing than the Red Sox winning. (I was a Rangers season ticket holder for awhile and did allow myself some slight pleasure witnessing the Rangers win the '94 Stanley Cup.)

All of that said, it has been my observation that the brutish behavior you are describing, while it can happen anywhere, is more likely to occur at Fenway than it is at Yankee Stadium.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:56 am

Easier said than done at these specific games. Subway series, Sox and Braves games are always big ones for Yankees fans and NYers in general.

9 times out of 10 the OP’s kids could go to the game and have a blast without a single incident but that 10th time can be brutal and also easily avoidable.
Oh, in a cab? I made no guarantee about what might happen to you in a Boston cab!!! Just that Fenway is wicked safe as long as you're not an @$$hole

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.