Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

EWR Newark Liberty International Airport - Guide and Help Desk (2018)

Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
All members are welcome to contribute general info here.

Getting to EWR by Public Transportation
  • NJ Transit ($15.50 o/w via vending machines or NJT app): frequent service to/from EWR from NY Penn Station; will need to transfer to EWR AirTrain at the rail station. Travel time from NYP is ~30 minutes. Preferred transport method during weekday daytime hours but very infrequent service during evenings and weekends. Only Northeast Corridor and NJ Coast trains stop at EWR, check the departure boards / conductor announcements to confirm whether the train you board will stop at EWR.
  • Coach USA Newark Airport Express bus ($18, $30 return in advance of boarding, more expensiveto pay on the bus. Sales points at airport): service to/from EWR from Port Authority bus terminal, Bryant Park and Grand Central station every 15-30 minutes depending on the time of the day. Travel time into Manhattan is ~30 minutes if there is no traffic. Preferred transport method during evenings and weekends, bus stops on the outer loop at each terminal.
  • NJ Transit bus #62 to PATH ($1.60 exact change for the bus, $2.75 for PATH): least expensive option, recommended for savvy travelers and only 24/7 mass transit option. Take the WTC-Newark PATH service to Newark Penn Station and transfer to the #62 bus (follow signs to Raymond Blvd, the bus terminal is on the northwest corner of Newark Penn). From EWR, the bus stops in the outer loop but make sure you get on the bus towards Newark and not Elizabeth. Total travel time from World Trade Center is ~60 minutes.

General Information

https://www.newarkairport.com/

EWR Redevelopment

EWR Redevelopment - New Terminal 1 to be built
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:22 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC

Back in 2012, kwildnj graciously started The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED] . Unfortunately, that info is now very obsolete and the OP is no longer here to update it. In addition, the thread had operated largely as a Help Desk for individual questions, so it makes sense to relaunch it annually.

I'm creating a wikipost and hopefully members can contribute general info there as well.

Any questions, please feel free to PM me or use the Alert button.

/Moderator
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:33 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
We will be landing from Hong Kong in August landing after 10PM.

Considering that we don't know what the immigration / customer situation will be, when looking at hotels, are there any whose shuttles would/would not be running around midnight or a bit after?

I guess the same for rental car companies, in the event that we end up booking further away from the airport for that first night.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yosithezet

Considering that we don't know what the immigration / customer situation will be, when looking at hotels, are there any whose shuttles would/would not be running around midnight or a bit after?

I guess the same for rental car companies, in the event that we end up booking further away from the airport for that first night.
1- for either a car rental or hotel shuttle you will have to take the AirTrain different directions

2- I know Alamo,Budget,Avis,Hertz are 24 hr I imagine that most hotels will also have a 24 hr shuttle, since there are a # of flights that arrive at 4am and many flights departing at 6AMish, but youd probably have to call them or use the free phone when you get to P4 where they p/u and d/o. To be sure do as I do and check the hotels website under Directions or Transport to see what hours they run their shuttle
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by yosithezet

Most hotel shuttles (Hampton Inn, All Marriott brands, Wyndham Garden, Crowne Plaza, and DoubleTree are the ones that I know of) are 24 hours.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Is there any luggage storage at Newark Terminal B?
I'm considering doing a day-trip to New York City and would need to avoid lugging my case around all day.

I am arriving in EWR early morning on SQ and have the choice of departing from EWR (Terminal B) at 4PM (Porter Airlines) or head over to LGA for a similarly timed 4PM departure. For the latter I would store luggage near New York Penn Street Station, but being able to deposit it at EWR airport is obviously preferable. The trouble is, I can only find reference to storage for United Airlines arriving in another terminal.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by jbfield
Is there any luggage storage at Newark Terminal B?
I'm considering doing a day-trip to New York City and would need to avoid lugging my case around all day.

I am arriving in EWR early morning on SQ and have the choice of departing from EWR (Terminal B) at 4PM (Porter Airlines) or head over to LGA for a similarly timed 4PM departure. For the latter I would store luggage near New York Penn Street Station, but being able to deposit it at EWR airport is obviously preferable. The trouble is, I can only find reference to storage for United Airlines arriving in another terminal.
See my answer in your other thread.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Question here is about the terminal bus at EWR. I am arriving on UA- presumably to Terminal C, and connecting to Terminal B on TAP. The bus seems to be reserved for UA passengers, will they let me on with a partner *A ticket? Can't find a clear answer. Non 016 UA ticket and would rather not re enter security

Thanks
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:06 pm

Can I transfer from B3 to B2 airside without having to go through security again?

Same question for A2 to A1.

Last edited by saaveraward; Apr 9, 2019 at 12:31 pm
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: DL Gold, B6 Mosaic, WoH Explorist, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, CET 7*, MLIFE Plat, Cosmo Gold
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Can I transfer from B3 to B2 airside without having to go through security again?

Same question for A2 to A1.
Unfortunately, no. There is a shuttle bus on the airside for both terminals A and B, but it runs between and stops at B1/B3 only. And for terminal A it stops at A2 only. From B3 to B2, A2 to A2, and vice versa you would need to exit and take the airtrain and clear security again. This is from my last experience last fall. AFAIK, it's still the same.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by easy_money
Unfortunately, no. There is a shuttle bus on the airside for both terminals A and B, but it runs between and stops at B1/B3 only. And for terminal A it stops at A2 only. From B3 to B2, A2 to A2, and vice versa you would need to exit and take the airtrain and clear security again. This is from my last experience last fall. AFAIK, it's still the same.
thank you

Well there goes the Virgin lounge... and I have to clear security again going from UA to AC. Oh joy.

I'll land at C. Take the bus to A2 for the United Club, exit security and clear at A1 for AC. Guess that's my only reasonable option on a 3:30 layover. Don't want to clear security twice at EWR.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: DL Gold, B6 Mosaic, WoH Explorist, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, CET 7*, MLIFE Plat, Cosmo Gold
Originally Posted by saaveraward
thank you

Well there goes the Virgin lounge... and I have to clear security again going from UA to AC. Oh joy.

I'll land at C. Take the bus to A2 for the United Club, exit security and clear at A1 for AC. Guess that's my only reasonable option on a 3:30 layover. Don't want to clear security twice at EWR.
Yea, it's pretty crappy why it doesn't go to and stop at each concourse. Even though the concourses in each terminal aren't that far from each other, it's still quite a walk to each one.

Here's a shuttle map to give you a visual and better idea to plan accordingly.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../maps/ewr.aspx
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by DG206
Question here is about the terminal bus at EWR. I am arriving on UA- presumably to Terminal C, and connecting to Terminal B on TAP. The bus seems to be reserved for UA passengers, will they let me on with a partner *A ticket? Can't find a clear answer. Non 016 UA ticket and would rather not re enter security

Thanks
Still no luck, any insight?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by DG206

Thanks
I don't know which pier of B TAP uses, but if it's B1 or B3, the shuttle will stop there upon request (which involves showing them your boarding pass at the podium prior to them letting you onto the shuttle). Since United lists TAP on their terminal map, I'm making an educated guess that TAP uses B1 or B3.

Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I just added public transit directions in the Wiki, would someone mind editing the size/format of the text? Looks off but I don't know how to change it.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
I don't know which pier of B TAP uses, but if it's B1 or B3, the shuttle will stop there upon request (which involves showing them your boarding pass at the podium prior to them letting you onto the shuttle). Since United lists TAP on their terminal map, I'm making an educated guess that TAP uses B1 or B3.
Thanks for tip, I did not know the piers were separated. Looking at Flightaware, TP seems to be pretty consistently using the 60's gates which would be B3 so think I would be good. Normally a DL flyer, trying something new here so not very familiar with EWR or UA connections to *A partners

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.