Wiki Posts
Search

Automated Passport Control kiosks offline at JFK T7

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLFL; CCR
Angry Automated Passport Control kiosks offline at JFK T7

Does anyone know why the APC terminals at JFK's T7 have been disabled for the past couple of months. T7 has been a joy for arrivals since they installed the APC units, but it's reverted back to nightmare status since June. Arrived yesterday on BA117 just after a JAL flight, spent over an hour in the queue despite being a returning ESTA. Any insights would be much appreciated!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:52 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
nakedgrape, welcome to FT. As your question is about a NYC airport terminal which is used by a number of airlines, and not BA specific, we’ll move it to our New York forum where there’ll be people more familiar with the Border Control arrangements who’ll be best placed to help you.

NWIFlyer
Moderator - BA forum
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
No idea I'm afraid. We were lucky to be at the front of the queue off BA177 last month, I expect those behind us were 90mins at least.

The Global Entry kiosks were working when we went through, although the regular kiosks were not.

GE is a slight time faff to get, but's cheap for five years of much easier access to the US. Cost me about £100.

(I didn't use GE in Aug, because I had the family in tow).
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Would love to get GE, but as a French citizen I'm unfortunately not eligible. Grrrrrr.....
Marschel likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks and sorry about that, NWIFlyer!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nakedgrape
Would love to get GE, but as a French citizen I'm unfortunately not eligible. Grrrrrr.....
I never realised that French citizens were excluded, which is odd when the Germans and Swiss are allowed. Actually the list of countries doesn't make much sense at all: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...ry/eligibility

Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The list is down to those Governments that have agreed to share the necessary data with the US to administer the system.

The EU couldn't / wouldn't agree to an over arching agreement (or the US wasn't happy with some individual countries) so in the EU it's down to individual countries to do the necessary (of course Switzerland isn't in the EU so can do what it likes).

The Netherlands has signed an agreement with the US and will be GE eligible shortly.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
No idea I'm afraid. We were lucky to be at the front of the queue off BA177 last month, I expect those behind us were 90mins at least.

The Global Entry kiosks were working when we went through, although the regular kiosks were not.

GE is a slight time faff to get, but's cheap for five years of much easier access to the US. Cost me about £100.

(I didn't use GE in Aug, because I had the family in tow).
Sometimes the GE kiosks at some JFK terminals have been turned off for passenger use, but its the APC kiosks that seem to be having way more offline issues.

The APC kiosks going offline en masse is more of an issue given how many more people it adversely impacts than GE being disabled temporarily.

The APC kiosks were paid for by airlines at JFK. But DHS/CBP sometimes decides to disable them even when the kiosks would otherwise be working as usual.

GE kiosks and APC kiosks are different systems in various ways, and so it's not surprising that their downtime, planned or otherwise, varies from each other.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
I never realised that French citizens were excluded, which is odd when the Germans and Swiss are allowed. Actually the list of countries doesn't make much sense at all: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...ry/eligibility
From the US it's largely political. Operationally, the GE partner countries have to meet certain US demands on various fronts for the non-US-residing, foreign countries' citizens to be able to apply for GE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.