Reload this Page >

LGA vs ISP for Long Island meeting - opinions

Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & million miler

Hi,

I have a meeting in central Long Island (Upton). I would prefer to fly non-stop ORD-LGA for the segments/miles on my preferred carrier, then rent a car and drive for an hour or so. Optional is taking Southwest to ISP with a connection at BWI and skipping the car altogether. My question is, some colleagues have been saying rental car return at LGA is a major issue, and to plan to arrive at LGA 2 or 3 hours earlier for the return. So, in general how is the situation at LGA w/ regards to arriving and returning rental cars? These guys are claiming its an absolute nightmare...

Thanks -
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
How about flying into LGA, and out of ISP (on WN or AA), doing a one-way car rental between the two airports?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I would fly in and out of LGA or JFK. Give yourself an extra 20 minutes to deal with the construction at LGA. 2-3 hours is ridiculous.
masonp123 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How much do you like driving in what could be bumper-to-bumper traffic vs changing planes at BWI? If your flight arrives at LGA midmorning, you won't have much traffic to Suffolk county. If that's the case, I would look into guv1976's advice.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Blumie
I would fly in and out of LGA or JFK. Give yourself an extra 20 minutes to deal with the construction at LGA. 2-3 hours is ridiculous.
That's my experience, too. The last time I returned a car at LGA (National Car Rental) it was no big deal at all. One thing to consider is who you are renting from as they all have different locations and the construction may not be affecting them all the same.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
The connection at BWI to ISP is not ideal. I would consider JFK and renting a car. Flying to ISP still, in my opinion, requires car rental. I know because I had some business in Nassau County and it was a pain in the neck not to have a rental car. It was so hot outside and walking distance seemed short on the map but were long. Luckily, I was there only one day. So I now stand firm, Manhattan with no rental car is great but many suburbia type cities need a rental car.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Blumie
If true, I would like to know. I am considering renting a car at LGA at the end of a NYC business trip and doing 2-4 hours of sightseeing on Long Island. There are a number of minor places that may be worth seeing.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:27 pm

Go to LGA/JFK. ISP is so small... if something gets messed up (weather, flight cancellations etc.) you're much better off at one of the larger airports.

The one-way rental isn't a bad idea either.

Lastly, consider just Ubering it each way from LGA or JFK. It may not be as expensive as you'd think. Uber does fare estimates on their website.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I would fly in and out of LGA or JFK and rent a car. It’s not that big of a deal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.