Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medicare Card = Half Price heads up

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Medicare Card = Half Price heads up

I was under the impression that I had to fill out an application to get a half off Metro card. Not true. My out of town brother-in-law told me that all you have to do is show the token clerk (such an antiquated term) your Medicare card and they'll sell you (cash only) a roundtrip ticket for $2.75.
They'll even sell you more than one if you ask.

This is good for all riders (in and out of state).
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
show the token clerk (such an antiquated term) your Medicare card and they'll sell you (cash only) a roundtrip ticket for $2.75. They'll even sell you more than one if you ask..
The title is Station Agent, used to be Rail Road Clerk, but that is correct anyone 65 years of age or older can qualify for reduced fare, not just medicare card just proof of age.
mta.info Reduced-Fare

How to pay with cash

When you pay with cash, you must present an acceptable form of identification (ID). Show your ID to a subway Station Agent or Bus Operator. Accepted forms of ID are: a valid Driver's License (or legal equivalent issued to non-drivers) from any state, valid passport from any country, a NYC Department of Aging ID card, Medicare card (Medicaid not accepted), Access-A-Ride ID card, MTA Reduced-Fare ID card (pre-1995).

Follow these instructions for riding the subway or bus:

In the Subway: Show your authorized ID to a station agent and pay the full $2.75 fare, and you will be issued a Reduced-Fare, Round-Trip MetroCard. One trip will be deducted for each use ($1.35 per ride) and the $1.00 new card fee does not apply.

This 2-trip MetroCard will be accepted at all subway stations, local buses and Staten Island Railway. It cannot be refilled, is non-negotiable, non-transferable and non-redeemable.

For a more convenient way to use your transit benefits, we encourage you to get a Reduced-Fare MetroCard which can be refilled at MetroCard Vending Machines using your transit benefits debit card; or sign up for the EasyPay Reduced-Fare MetroCard and link your transit benefits card to the account.

On the Bus: Show your ID to the Bus Operator and pay $1.35 in coins, exact change; no pennies or dollar bills accepted. You can request a transfer from the Bus Operator. The transfer is valid for two hours, and can be used to transfer to another local (not express) bus; the transfer cannot be used in the subway.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I was under the impression that I had to fill out an application to get a half off Metro card. Not true. My out of town brother-in-law told me that all you have to do is show the token clerk (such an antiquated term) your Medicare card and they'll sell you (cash only) a roundtrip ticket for $2.75.

It's (mostly) true, but this procedure gets old really fast if you use transit a lot. You can only purchase ONE two-ride Senior fare card at a time (IME). Use it on two rides, then, find another staffed window, buy another card for $2.75, etc., etc., etc. Been there, done that. The inconvenience convinced me (someone who doesn't even live in or near NYC but visits from time to time) to fill out the application to get a reloadable Senior Metro Card. This is SO MUCH BETTER than constantly buying two-ride tickets. You set up the card to reload automatically from your credit card when the balance falls below a certain amount.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder why they have this discount (Medicare's not need-based as opposed to Medicaid).
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by nerd
I wonder why they have this discount (Medicare's not need-based as opposed to Medicaid).
It's actually the senior discount (age 65 and over). A Medicare card is not required -- you can use your normal ID such as a driver's license to prove your age.

And senior discounts on public transit are quite common.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
It's actually the senior discount (age 65 and over).
Not exactly, this is the MTA "reduced fare" discount.
Yes Seniors 65+ qualify but also anyone with an approved disability qualifies for "reduced fare", that is where the Medicare/Medicaid confusion creeps in.

Who’s eligible: Customers who are 65 years of age or older or have a qualifying disability.

link: mta.info Reduced-Fare
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
It's (mostly) true, but this procedure gets old really fast if you use transit a lot. You can only purchase ONE two-ride Senior fare card at a time (IME). Use it on two rides, then, find another staffed window, buy another card for $2.75, etc., etc., etc. Been there, done that. The inconvenience convinced me (someone who doesn't even live in or near NYC but visits from time to time) to fill out the application to get a reloadable Senior Metro Card. This is SO MUCH BETTER than constantly buying two-ride tickets. You set up the card to reload automatically from your credit card when the balance falls below a certain amount.
I tested this a few days ago. The agent/clerk sold me 2 R/T tickets. Set me back all of $5.50 for both of them. I agree re: finding a staffed booth.

dh
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
Not exactly, this is the MTA "reduced fare" discount.
Yes Seniors 65+ qualify but also anyone with an approved disability qualifies for "reduced fare", that is where the Medicare/Medicaid confusion creeps in.

Who’s eligible: Customers who are 65 years of age or older or have a qualifying disability.

link: mta.info Reduced-Fare
Not exactly. My "reduced fare" EasyPay MetroCard doesn't actually say "reduced fare" on it anywhere. It does, however, say "Senior Citizen."

I imagine that some day, there might be two (or more) different reduced fares -- one for senior citizens, another for disabled people, perhaps even another for welfare recipients, etc., etc., etc. There actually is a distinction between different recipients of the reduced fare, perhaps for this very reason.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tested this a few days ago. The agent/clerk sold me 2 R/T tickets. Set me back all of $5.50 for both of them. I agree re: finding a staffed booth.

dh
You got lucky. I had a different experience the times that I bought the two-ride tickets.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:20 am

Not exactly. My "reduced fare" EasyPay MetroCard doesn't actually say "reduced fare" on it anywhere. It does, however, say "Senior Citizen." .
They changed the fare media but not the website, employees don't pay no matter the age

Last edited by Brighton Line; Aug 28, 2018 at 7:21 am Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Not exactly. My "reduced fare" EasyPay MetroCard doesn't actually say "reduced fare" on it anywhere. It does, however, say "Senior Citizen."

I imagine that some day, there might be two (or more) different reduced fares -- one for senior citizens, another for disabled people, perhaps even another for welfare recipients, etc., etc., etc. There actually is a distinction between different recipients of the reduced fare, perhaps for this very reason.
There are at least two different cards that fall under the reduced fare category.

The disabled card has "Disability" on it along with a big "R" and notes the Reduced-Fare Office's phone number.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:55 pm

I don't live there but spent an hour getting a Senior card while I was there on a visit a year or so. Didn't take long, I printed out my form in advance and just took the trip to the office downtown while my wife slept in. It has been worth it in savings and convenience ever since. If you visit regularly and have a little time you should consider getting the Senior card.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:43 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xooz
I don't live there but spent an hour getting a Senior card while I was there on a visit a year or so. Didn't take long, I printed out my form in advance and just took the trip to the office downtown while my wife slept in. It has been worth it in savings and convenience ever since. If you visit regularly and have a little time you should consider getting the Senior card.
You can do IT all by mail, but the form must be notarized.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:50 pm

Yes, but just figured I would do it in person to be sure there was no hiccup. While it was like any government activity, it was reasonably efficient and painless to do in person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.